“Absolutely perfect.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palazzo Priuli

You added Palazzo Priuli to your Saves list
Palazzo Priuli
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Castello 4979/b Fondamenta de l'Osmarin, 30122 Venice, Italy (Castello)   |
Ranked #148 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Seaside, Oregon
“Absolutely perfect.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this lovely historic hotel for 3 nights in December 2010. Our room and our experience at this hotel was perfect. All of the staff we made contact with were very welcoming, friendly and courteous. The housekeeping staff was particularly observant and helpful. We chose this hotel primarily because it is in an old building, and the unique beauty of the building wowed us the whole time we were there. The very worn stone steps that lead to the second floor make you think of all the people and all the years the beautiful home has seen. The building's location is very easy to find, yet it feels tucked away and private in a city that crawls with tourists.
The breakfast was delicious and hearty, and the breakfast room with it's glittering Murano chandelier and tall, tall windows overlooking a canal is unforgettable. The quality of the breakfasts at this Hotel have made my breakfasts at home, well, pale in comparison.
We will assuredly stay here the next time we are lucky enough to be in Venice.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010

The Palazzo Priuli building is everything I imagined an old Italian house to be. Crooked stairs, tapestries on the walls, and antique furniture; so much character. The breakfast was excellent every morning; a lot of variety with fresh ingredients. I am still craving hard rolls and cheese every day. Our hotel room was huge and the bathroom was very modern. Most of the staff were very friendly, especially the late night desk clerk. Some of the day staff were less friendly, but I chalked that up to being a more busy time. No one was rude, and we always had our questions answered. It also helped that we attempted to speak Italian, even if it was only a few basic words.

The location of the hotel is perfect to both San Marcos Square and to the Rialto Bridge. There are plenty of restaurants within a two minute walk either direction of the hotel. There is a school about 30 feet away from the hotel, and it was a treat to see the locals escort their children each morning. I felt less of a tourist to see the everyday workings of the city. Unfortunately, I do not know what the rates were when we stayed. My parents paid for the room; my friend and I were their guests. But I think it is a bargain if it is less than 175 Euros per night. I will definitely stay at this hotel when I go back to Venice.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010

I stayed here a few years ago. It was so bad I actually decided to look it up and see if things had improved - apparently not. Our room was on the first floor where the dining room is located. We were woken very early every morning as staff prepared breakfast (a selection of cheap cheese, ham, hard boiled eggs etc.) At night, for reasons I couldn't figure out, the room was sweltering. We asked to turn on the air-con, but the ever unhelpful staff basically said tough. Therefore we had to keep our windows wide open. As the hotel is located on a busy street this meant lots and lots of noise (mostly shouting) well into the early hours of the morning. We weren't able to sleep for more than a couple of hours so we asked to change rooms - but were told this was not possible. At each request it the staff clearly couldn't have cared less. We left after the second night.

FRANCE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

I'm serious about the review title - this is an exceptional hotel in it's class (and can easily hold it's own in standards of quality/professionalism with many of the four-starred venetian hotels). Privately-owned, "traditional venetianpalazzo/manor house" hotel run to high standards, meaning that the attention to detail is taken to heart.

We appreciate such attention to detail: authentic and/or high standard of architecture/decor, comfort and cleanliness: comfortable and well-appointed rooms, no matter which type of room; professional staff: attentive and efficient at the reception; attentive, efficient and hospital breakfast room staff; excellent housekeeping.

Quality/price ratio is very, very good. Book directly through their website (google search "Palazzo Priuli". Don't despair if rooms aren't available for your dates - also check out their "Ca'Priuli" and "Casa Nicolo Priuli", just next door. Same standards, but in smaller buildings (and the prices are lower).

I'm sitting here, in the breakfast room at the time of this writing - acqua alta is just now descending, but rather than put on my rubber boots and go outside, I'm just as happy sitting inside, high and dry, while enjoying the ambience of the Priuli. Over the past 8-9 years, I've stayed here numerous times and in various rooms, liking them all (family rooms, small intimate deluxe/superior rooms, big rooms), and it is always a pleasure to come back to this hotel (and to Venice, of course...). I can compare it with at least 20 other hotels, bed and breakfast and apartments, each with their own particular charms, but for overall standards, and in it's class, the Palazzo Priuli is outstanding in our estimation.

Hope this helps in your researching Venice hotels. I am someone who loves to come here, and I've become a bit demanding when it comes to where I/we stay. After all this time I am writing my first review of a hotel, as it is only fair that I publicly render hommage to the fine management and staff of this hotel, as well as the beautiful building itself!

Summit, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

This hotel has a great location. It's close to the major attractions but far enough away that you are not overwhelmed by crowds. The room was small but reasonably comfortable.
First night I asked for a second pillow. The man from the front desk appeared with a pillow in one hand & a pillow case in the other. They offer a sort of nondescipt breakfast ;they really need to work on that. They said they had free Wi-Fi but non of the guests could get it to work.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

It's a terrible hotel, just the building itself is beautiful, other than that it has no other values. Extremely rude and impolite staff, we have never seen such thing any where. The rooms are not good, beds are awful, and breakfast is very bad. I don't recommend it at all.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

The hotel is set in a quiet area off the beaten path, but not easy to find when you first arrive. The beds were worse than any cheap hotel we have ever stayed in. Despite quiet room set with antique furniture none of us slept much. The breakfast was below the quality of what we received at hotels in Florence and Rome at comparable prices. The staff was nice and one internet laptop free to use if no one else was on it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Palazzo Priuli? Share your experiences!