“what a fabulous Inn, a taste of real Venetian hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Locanda Leon Bianco
Corte Leon Bianco 5629, 30131 Venice, Italy (Cannaregio)   |
Ranked #119 of 382 hotels in Venice
Leicester, United Kingdom
“what a fabulous Inn, a taste of real Venetian hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

We eloped to Venice in April 2012 to get married, and decided against the 'western-style' mainstream hotels - we prefer to immerse ourselves in 'real' places, not some sterile soul-less hotel room - and after some research we opted for 5 nights at the Locanda Leon Bianco.

It takes a little finding, but once you know where it is, it is PERFECTLY placed - very central, near to Rialto bridge and the market, and 10mins from St Marks Square.

Our initial thoughts on arrival were - argh, the steps!! As we had lugged our suitcases including wedding dress, suit, and all the paraphanalia from the bus station, we were pretty knackered, but the owner Stefano soon came down the stairs to help us with our cases. The steps may be a chore when you're tired, but we felt it just added to the charm of the hotel...and incidentally, we have a stunning wedding photograph posing on these very steps!!

We needed spacious rooms, so we requested Room 3 and our friends stayed in the adjoining Room 2, both of which have a FABULOUS view of the Grand Canal. Ok, you hear the hustle and bustle of life outside and the Rialto market opposite, but that is all part of the experience - just soak it up and enjoy it!! The double-glazed windows kept the noise out perfectly at night-time, all we heard was the occasional vaporetto.

Breakfasts were simple but adequate, with coffee, croissants and melba-toasts, jam, fruit juice, and all served in your room by the large windows, which we loved.

Stefano and his staff was very helpful, friendly, and he was more than willing to let us use the hotel water-entrance (although I decided against paddling down steps with my wedding dress, and caught the taxi just outside on the main taxi stop instead!)

All in all, a fabulous place to stay, yes its a little rustic and maybe the plaster is peeling in places, but that's all part of the charm (and the chandelier was gorgeous!)

We would not hesitate staying here again - hopefully very soon!!!

Room Tip: Rooms 2, 3 and 4 overlook the Grand Canal - Room 3 was larger with two windows, had a small en-suite...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Having travelled around Europe for 5 weeks this place is by far the worst experience, just awful, from the start.

We booked on Venere and with our booking confirmation in hand we follow the instructions on how to find the hotel, so far so good. We arrive at the location to find that there was no hotel as described, puzzled we ask people around, they agree we are at the right spot but Locanda Leon Bianco is not here?! So, we call the hotel and explain our situation. The lady on the other side of the phone says unapologetic we are at the wrong location with a ' its our fault ' tone of voice. When we explained we followed the instructions she cut us off and continued saying we were wrong.

Next, after another 20min of waking we heavy luggage through the busy narrow streets of Venice we finally arrive at the Locanda having asked about 20 people as this place is in a very dark ally, you would not think you are entering a hotel.
We do the two flight of stairs (no lift or staff to help you). With our confirmation in hand we show her the instructions on how to find us and finally she admits that they are wrong and that this was not the hotels fault!!! Huh??
Thanks for making us lose precious time trying to find the hotel rather than enjoying Venice.

But we are on holiday and we have booked the Junior Suite so did not want this to ruin our experience, so we ask for our room...well, she could not find our booking in her system (paper based, no computer here!!)

Another 10min and finally our booking is located, great!! Then she asks me to complete some papers as she did not have her reading glassed and since i'm younger she asked me to fill out for her (better this way and quicker really). At this stage, all we want to do it get to our room.

We are taken to our room downstairs, again no help with luggage so we have to carry and do the same stairs we did getting here. There are no lights in the corridor our room is located.

Our room: having booked the Junior Suite we were expecting a high standard of room, but no! The room is a real let down.
No view
A very small bathroom.
Hard rock bed.
The wall had damage every where.

After a review of the booking confirmation I go back up to speak to the staff asking if this a mistake, she did not know, she is there to help the owner. So I ask to speak with the owner, the response is ' he is not here today as it is a Sunday ' - as my patience was getting very thin, I rejected this excuse and ask again to speak to him. She calls reluctantly.

Well, what was about to happen next, was my worst ever customer experience.

The owner, Stefano, did not care or want to hear that I had wasted my time to find his hotel, NO, this is the website fault - not his!! Let me ask you this:
- who placed the advertising ?
- who gets revenue out of this website?

The conversation was getting worst, on one side me expressing my disappointment on the other side Stefano yelling at me! I felt as all this was my fault, even though I was the guest. After all perhaps this was the reason the lady did not want to speak to Stefano, as she explains later, Stefano has a bad temper and that because Italy is going through financial troubles Stefano is not happy and is not having a good time.

Dear Stefano, perhaps if you knew how to do proper business you would not have to worry about any of this.

I wanted to end the conversation, so I suggest Stefano to find a solution. His offer was a rate reduction of 20 euros! Hardly the reason of my call to him. He did not comprehend that it was not about the money, rather than what he is offering as a service.
As I am not going anywhere, and I am exhaousted - I decide to leave it here. But no, Stefano has to have his last word "the world has plenty of unhappy people, have a pizza on me with the 20 euros discount". This is clearly a business who is set to fail.

Needless to say that the rest of our time here was met with further disappointments:
- holes everywhere in the walls
- mould in bathroom
- very small shower
- hair in shower
- breakfast delivered with no service or selection
- curtain that fall
- noise from boats driving past
- no lights in the corridor

The photos show how bad this place is run.

Really feel sorry for this place and hope they do something about it.

Be warned!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
leonbianco_12, Owner at Locanda Leon Bianco, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Sir,
when I think it's useless reply with the fact that the room has the defects listed by you, why, and a room of about 60 square meters fully renovated, I had a discount of 40 euros in high season, the junior suite with canal view large costs 260 euros per night and are well specified all types of rooms, so when he booked and 'was informed of everything. last thing, when 'party and asked if everything was OK I would be more correct to warn me and say okay and then write these forgery.
Venice
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I agree with the other reviewer that the Locanda Leon Bianco is more of a hostel, but I do not think you can buy more space or convenience for the price. The bed was warm firm and conducive to a great night's sleep for this 67 year old and the room was spacious and bathroom more like the U.S. than most Italian Hotels.

Stephano was very warm and helpful and delivered breakfast to us personally each morning. It is a comfortable experience and a refuge from the street crowds of Venice. We were directed to the Restaurant Vagon for Pranzo (lunch) and had a gread seafood selection.

I highly recommend this small intimate Hotel.

Room Tip: Room 2 or 4
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Let me start with the good points:

It is less than five min to Rialto Bridge and the market. Less than 15 min walk to Marco square. The room was very big compared to other hotel rooms in Venice and finally our bathroom was clean and modern and all baths amenities available and replaced every day.

The bad:

I believe this is more of a hostel and at 150 euro per night this is not exactly what you expect. The street you walk into is very dark and creepy. We actually thought we were lost. Once you are in the small courtyard you are greeted with scaffolding and two black doors. One was the door to the hotel which you have to ring and they buzz you in. At no point does anyone speaks to you on the comms, direct you or help you up two flights of stairs to reception. The lights are never on and the steps are old and uneven. On our second night we realised the lights can be switched on by a timer switch but again no one has bothered to tell us this and we had to work it out ourselves. We are given keys and shown to our room. It was a shocker! The furniture was in Venetian style but in very bad condition. We wanted to leave straight away! We tried to find other hotels around but all fully booked.

Breakfast was bought to our room every morning in a rush and no greeting or customer service when receiving the tray currying our breakfast. It was always the same every day.

Apart from checking in, breakfast and checking out you never see anyone. If you needed anything you were on your own.

Our friends booked this place for us as a wedding gift. They got tricked by viewing all the lovely professional pictures online. If only they came to tripadviser they would have stayed very clear. I am writing this review so others do not fall for the same trick.

Anyway, if you just need a place to sleep and do not care for comfort then this is the right place for you. If you want anything that a normal hotel provides for 150 euros per night then stay away. I would gladly sacrifice the large room with a room with better conditions and a hotel with service.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012 via mobile

Locanda Leon Bianco is a rustic Venetian dwelling. It has sloping and uneven floors, flaky paint but that is why we loved it. Our room was number 2. It is a double room with a beautiful view of the Grand Canal but not the Rialto Bridge. Rooms 3 & 4 have both, but are more expensive, they are called Junior Suites. Rooms 5,6 & 7 are on the side canal. I don't know what room 1 looks at, maybe the back courtyard. Breakfast is served in your room, the coffee is fantastic. We bought juice and fruit to supplement. Get off at Ca D'Oro station, then you only have only one bridge to negotiate. Go to the main road, turn right, walk about 100m, cross the
bridge and immediately turn right. If you get off at Rialto, you will have to cross about 3 bridges. The supermarket is along the road halfway toward the railway station it shuts at 8:30pm. There is a fridge in your room and a small safe. The one downside are the paper thin walls, so talk quietly!

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Deltaville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed for a month at the Leon Bianco hotel in Venice. The 15th Century hotel is located right on the Grand Canal just down from the Rialto Bridge. Our room had a fabulous view of the canal and both my wife and I spent many hours watching the boats on the canal from the early morning activity of the commerical boats, to the leisurely movement of the Gondolas. Our room had wonderful thermopan windows that when closed, locked out the outiside noises of boats on the canal. The central location of the hotel makes it convenient to the very busy Rialto Bridge area yet an easy walk to St Marks square. It is just minutes from Ca'Doro a must see Palazzo on the canal and located a the Water Bus stop that gives you easy acces to all of Venice and the lagoon island of Murano, Burano, Lido and Torchello.
The view from our windows on the canal was worth every penny of the rental fee. Stefano, our host at Lion Bianco, is a charming man and very knowlegable about how to get around in Venice. We plan to return to bring with our grandchildren for another stay in Venice at the Leon Bianco. After 30 days in the hotel, we kind of feel like we are experts on the hotel and happy to share our email address with anyone interested in hearing about or experiences stay at this hotel. We have learned a few things about visiting Venice we would be happy to share including our day trip to the Dolamites.

Room Tip: This is a small hotel. The photos of the rooms on their website are accurate. We had the corner roo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Let me start by saying those who come and stay at this place and then write a bad review clearly did not read up on it's unique character ahead of time. It pays to do your home work.

We knew exactly what to expect and got more than we expected. We found the walk down the "alley" perfect. One minute you are on the main noisey tourist crowded bridge in front of the Antico Doge, and with in a few steps.. complete quiet was you walk through the metal gate to the courtyard in front of the entry door. Yeah the building next door is boarded up and run down, but half of Venice is the same way with or with out boards.

The double flight of stairs to the main lobby only add to the intrigue. It's like you're entering someones old venetian house. which you are!

it is conviently located to the Rialto bridge. Easy walk from the Ca D'oro boat stop.. We did splurge and take a private water taxi back to the airport. pick up was by the bridge out front
30 minutes to the airport.

we spent 4 nights there with two friends. we booked the Junior Suite and the Triple room respectively (we decided for size and not the canal view) The Junior Suite is HUGE. With a view of the construction chute out one side of the window and the Courtyard below on the other side (oh well who stays in the room and looks out the window anyway)

The bath room is huge as well. Our room was so big, we had our friends over the share breakfast at the sitting table, we loved the breakfast. Stefano was so accomodating with everything. breakfast was simple enough, Juice, coffee, rolls, jams. We added to it by getting fruit and sliced meats from the market.

The room floor was so crooked it was funny. I read some complaints about this, but again it adds to the charm. Beautiful Glass chandeliers in the rooms.

My only issue/concern was the bathroom in the triple room. More specifically the bath tub. very small old style. last time I saw one was 20 years ago in an old B&B in Belgium. you sit in a "well" big enough for your legs,and then a higher up "well" for you butt. anyone of any height or girth is not gonna fit!

love this place and would recommend it to any one who appreciates a place with Character and not be fussy.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Locanda Leon Bianco? Share your experiences!