“This is a hostel, not a 5-star-hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Generator Venice

You added Generator Venice to your Saves list
Generator Venice
1.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Via Fondamenta delle Zitelle 86, 30133 Venice, Italy (Giudecca)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #18 of 172 Specialty Lodging in Venice
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vienna, Austria
“This is a hostel, not a 5-star-hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Just saw a few of the complaints others made.... So, here's my view: no, I'm not 20 anymore either, but I've got no problem with bunk beds if they're as clean and comfortable as here - had beds a lot worse in *real* hotels! Yes, Generator is on the Giudecca, which means you NEED a waterbus ticket - but if you want to see anything of Venice, you need that anyway (p.e. you CAN'T walk along the Canale Grande - want to see full length, need waterbus. Same for visiting Murano, the Lido....). The location means that it's nice and quiet in the night - something I value. And if you want to go out - waterbusses run all night..... As for pricey: Have a look at hotel prices in Venice in the Carneval - there might be cheaper beds to be had, but I didn't come here to stay in some dump right beside the railway station or such. I was a bit worried about 10-bed female dorm - turned out I was totally wrong. For what I booked and considering general price level in Venice (pricey!) I think I got very good value for money! Ever come back to Venice, sure to stay there again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Despite their very clear advertising of double, triple and quad private "loft" rooms, they booked us into a dorm room for 5 people - but "you get it to your selves". If I wanted a dorm - i'd book a dorm. What was to be a "cool, alternative stay", was just a poor stay...I am not 20 and don't find bunk beds cool. Don't pretend to offer what you don't. The online booking is not set up to secure you the actual loft rooms, so be careful. Fine for booking a hostel, but when it comes to rooms, you need to deliver what you promise. Be careful, if you don't want to play Russian Roulette dorm room hell. Venice is too nice to spoil, just book a proper Hotel if you are a family.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I was expecting something a little more because of the price but honestly I do not think I got my money's worth with this hostel. However, with that being said I do understand that it was the beginning of Carneval and it was Valentine's Day Weekend so the prices were rather high.

The location of the hostel is rather inconvenient because if you want to experience anything Venice has to offer, you need to take the boat bus to get to the main islands. The island that this hostel is on is extremely residential which is a nice break from all the tourist and the prices are more reasonable for food on this island.

The inside of the hostel was very nice, it is definitely a place for youths which is great. They hosted a valentine's dance for all of those staying which is very nice as well.

There is no free food here. There is no breakfast, no lunch nor dinner. Nothing is included so you must have to pay for everything if you want to eat there.

The rooms are cute with brick walls, very chic and cute with private bathrooms but the beds were not clean when we came. My roommate found a lot of dirt and even some dead insects underneath her pillow and it was a hassle trying to get them to clean up the beds. However, when they eventually came up to clean, the man was very nice and apologetic for the inconvenience.

The room has a nice view facing the water and it's nice in all.

Bit too pricey though.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
York Beach, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Take a water taxi from outsude the train station, buy the pass! We got a 36 hour one and used it for multiple rides.
Guidecca was a great location for us, we spent most of out trip on St. Marco and saw so much!
Generator was very swanky, we loved the decor. Lots of sitting/louge space. The rooms were clean, bathrooms were clean. We stayed in an 8 person room, next time I think I would splurge for a private room. FYI You do have to rent towels and you pay for breakfast seperate. Breakfast was 3 euro paybe, decent and convenient. Wifi worked really well and they have a place to store luggage pre check in or post check out.
Staff answered all our questions and were very friendly.
Minor down fall was the male bartender. I felt like I needed to stand up and do a dance to get him to come over... maybe we was just having a bad night.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

The hostel is as gorgeous as you see in the picture in their website. A big hostel with big common area and bar. Free breakfast was great. Most people stayed here from 1 to 3 days, I stayed here for 8 days. Located in the quiet island 1 stop from st.marco, if you have the travel pass, the location will not bother you. Hostel serve breakfast (free) and dinner (well priced). Room are great , comes with cabinet underneath the bed, lots of privacy, reading lights and power plug, good mattress and linen. Lots of toilet and are always clean. Overall love this place, i feel classy!!! Good place to meet people! There is a supermarket along the hostel (cross 2 bridges) selling cheap wine and beer, great thing about this hostel, no restriction in bringing drinks and food from outside as they do not have guess kitchen. I would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: All rooms are well organized, so any room would be good.
Weymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed as a solo traveller for four nights from 13/1-17/1/2014. It is on Giudecca island in the south of the city but is only one vaporetto stop from San Marco piazza where St Mark's basilica, the Doge's palace and many other famous landmarks are based. Found the place really nice, helpful staff, a very decent breakfast for 3.50 Euros and a well-stocked bar for evening shenanigans. Good communal area for meeting fellow travellers or starting up conversations with pretty much anyone. And the price @ roughly £90 for four nights was an absolute bargain. Really lovely, modernist decor as well, was definitely one of the best European hostels I've ever stayed in, will be looking for Generator's in future, I have heard the Berlin one is also in a really good location.

Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Generator Hostel was the most amazing place I've stayed in Italy and probably also the best hostel I've ever been to.
The bed was super comfortable, the room was warm and clean.
The common area was beautiful, super nice and food cheap and good too!

I'll definitely be staying in a Generator Hostel everytime I travel to a city where there's one ;)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Been to Generator Venice? Share your experiences!