“Glass shower door with no lock” 2 of 5 stars

Via Fondamenta delle Zitelle 86, 30133 Venice, Italy (Dorsoduro)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #21 of 164 Specialty Lodging in Venice
Venice, Italy
“Glass shower door with no lock”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

The Generator hostel is modern and clean but it lacks character and is not conducive to creating an atmospher to met people. Everyone just stays in their little corner. Don't order food it's terrible. But my biggest problem was the showers. There was one bathroom that has 2 showers and 2 toilets but the showers have glass doors and there is no lock to the hallway so anyone can come in and see you showering in all your glory. Not a fan at all.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Fabio M, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Generator Venice, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Daniella

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts after your stay with us. Your feedback is our best tool to understand where we are meeting the expectations and where we should be improve and concentrate in order to keep the standards high.

We, at Generator Venice, believe that the social factor is the essence of our hostel and the ground floor area is designed to encourage the travellers to meet each other, share stories and make new friends.
We are disappointed that we have not met your expectations, but let me reassure you that all your comments have been taken on board and will have a follow up with the team.

Let me have the opportunity to thank you on behalf of the housekeeping team, but mostly to ask you to get in touch with me on keti.camillo@generatorhostels.com so that I will have the opportunity to understand the comment on the food.

Warm regards

Keti Camillo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I stayed at the Generator hostel in Venice for 2 nights and I loved it! The rooms were very clean, the beds were super comfy, and the main floor/common room itself was awesome -- fully equipped with a bar, pool table, photo booth, tv & couches and wifi. I originally booked a bed in a 14-bed female only dorm, however when I arrived I was moved to a 10-bed female only dorm for no extra cost, due to a large school group that had booked their stay at the hostel, and the staff (assuming the group would be loud when put all together) booked them in separate rooms to accommodate their other guests, which I really appreciated. I will admit that the breakfast wasn't great and it's an extra €3.50, so if you skip out on it, you aren't missing anything. Many of the reviews I read prior to my booking stated that, because the hostel is located on Guidecca island, it was a hassle to get to and from the centre of Venice, however I personally enjoyed the boat rides from Guidecca as you got to see the less-touristy parts of the city, plus it was a much quieter area. It was a quick 10 minute boat ride to Piazza San Marco, though it didn't seem that long because there was always so much to see! I would recommend this hostel to anyone travelling alone or with friends and I would definitely return!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

This hostel is SO modern & funky. The lobby & lounge area is insane. There is breakfast but you have to pay so be aware. There is also a cafe & bar here. Rooms are modern too, good beds & bedding. Bathrooms funky. Need need another clean in the afternoon. Location good, not far to walk from the little boat. Staff were a bit hit & miss. Occasionally rude. There were laundry facilities too. A heads up the lockers are noisy in the bedrooms

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Ive been europe for 3 monthes, stayed in berlin, paris, ansterdam and florence and rome! For me, generator must be one of the best hostel in europe! Clean, new, easytofind location, plus wonderful atomosphere and service! I would say i might not choose other place to stay if i come back to venice! I love it!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Asked to speak with general manager regarding a lost wallet, spoke to an Operations Manager - was the only slightly helpful person but said the rules were rigid & that I had to wait speak to nobody landed up helping in any way after waiting for hours. No contact details were taken. Also the staff were generally disinterested in speaking /generally helping other guests too - my friend thought the same.

FYI... Another hostel here helped me within minutes & sorted me in an hour. I had to go to another place for help... shame. Definitely needs huge improvement! The best things in life are free... So also a genuine feeling of wanting to help & give advice.

Disappointing Generator, your rooms/facilities are ok but service & details let you down.

• Stayed November 2013
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Very clean and good looking rooms and bathrooms, cool atmosphere in the pub/common area with nice music and cool parties (ie. Halloween). Each bed has seperate light and electrical socket, rooms accesable by magnetic cards. Guideca island is a peaceful and deluded place in comparison to the main island, nevertheless it's nice to not see any crowds for a change after the whole day. About 5 minutes west there's a really nice restaurant with great pizza in the right price. The only problem may be you need to take the water tram to get there and there are only 7 euro tickets (contains one piece of luggage and valid for 1 hour) or 18 euro ones for 12 hours or 1 day tickets. Still, it's just one stop from St. Mark's square with all the museums and shopping area or you can take the water tram from Ferrovia stop - St. Lucia train station. Be careful with water tram lines because some go clockwise and one goes counterclockwise.

Room Tip: On the 3rd floor you can practically here no music from the pub/common area, even during party.