“It would be perfect if they had pillows!” 5 of 5 stars

Generator Venice
Via Fondamenta delle Zitelle 86, 30133 Venice, Italy (Dorsoduro)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #21 of 165 Specialty Lodging in Venice
“It would be perfect if they had pillows!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I've stayed there with my girlfriend in the 19th of July and it was really cool. We've stayed in a shared room with 5 beds, everything is well cleaned, the beds are really comfortable, you don't ear outside noise and the only thing they missed was the pillow (is not included) but it didn't stop us from resting all night.

The bar is really great, good decoration, great staff and great activities too.

I strongly recommend this place to anyone who wants to visit Venice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is recently renovated, so the lobby looks more like the lobby of a nicer, modern hotel than a hostel. My room only had five beds, which was nice, and the bathrooms we pretty good. The location is ok, you need to take the boat-bus to get to the main part of Venice. I personally did not notice anything wrong with the Internet, but some of the people staying in my room couldn't get on.

• Stayed August 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed at the Generator in Venice for one night at the beginning of July. It had only just opened a couple of weeks before I arrived, and it had been re-furbished nicely. The décor was more like a hotel than a hostel. The rooms were very nice too (and clean)! Plug socket and light built into every bed which is always a nice thing to have. Reception staff seemed helpful when I needed to ask questions. The location was great, I loved being able to see Venice from the hostel. The only downside is that the wi-fi was down.. however this is somewhat forgiveable as they had only opened a couple of weeks before and I understand that they were probably still getting things off the ground. Room wasn't that cheap for a hostel, but you are in Venice after all. Would recommend to a friend.

Madrid, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I was there 3 days and I can say it is the most unpersonal hostel I´ve ever seen and it´s not my first time in a hostel, I have even worked in many of them.

Pros:
-Situation. It´s situated in Giuddeca, easily reached with the Vaporetto from the train station or St. Marco Square. One trip costs like 7€, so it´s better to buy a one-, two-, three-day ticket.
-Breakfast: For the money you pay it is ok. You have bread, cheese, ham, butter, marmelades, coffee, tee, juices, cereals, water... for 3.50€
-The beds: they are comfortable and not noisy. You have some kind of intimacy.
-The hostel is new, recently renovated.

Cons:
-Lack of information: I checked-in and the receptionist gave me the key of my room. That was all, no map, no kind of information about the facilities (if there is a breakfast, laundary, internet....) NOTHING.

-Bathrooms are too small and there are just 4 showers for a lot of rooms (most of them were dorms with 10-14 beds). There is a light sensor and when you are having a shower the light switches off. There is no place where you can place your stuff while you are having a shower.

-No wi-fi. I read the reviews before my stay and most of them commented this problem. I asked at the reception the third day and they said that it was a coincidence, that the internet had been working until that moment. It was not true, because I was there and it didn´t work during my stay and, according to the reviews, it has never worked. You shouldn´t treat your guests as idiots.

-The rooms are somehow interconnected, there is a kind of window in the upper part of the rooms, that means that when in the next room the light is on, you see it, specially when you are sleeping in the upper bunk.

Although the hostel has a good facilities, big bar... there is not much to do in there but sleep.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Fabio M, Direttore at Generator Venice, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Guests,

Firstly can I thank you for taking the time to share your views, after your departure from Generator Venice.
I can only apologise for any inconvenience caused and that you feel we have not met your expectations on this occasion.
I understand that you have ben frustrated during your stay and for this I apologise sincerely. All of these concerns and more can always be handled in house by our 24 hour duty manager, just to bear in mind if you visit again. I would also like to thank you for your constructive comments, these will go a long way in ensuring we get everything right for our guests.

If you wish to talk about any aspect of your stay further please feel free to email me at:
keti.camillo@generatorhostels.com

Regards
Crawley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

The new hostel is now the Hilton of the hostels I know. Staff were brilliant and helpful. Many of the “older” ones recognised me, so I felt like going to a family place. The new public/common room is big, comfortable, a/c and there is always space and someone to talk to, so a single traveller doesn’t feel isolated. It’s good that the bar/cafe is open all day, and there is always some food to be had. The choice – understandably – is not big, but the food is tasty, fresh and good value. Drinks are fine – they have some good barmen. Rooms, (I had a shred dorm), are clean with a/c, good bedding and comfortable beds with lockers underneath. Bathrooms - clean, modern, perhaps there could have been a few more?

I had a great stay in the ostello, although as a senior I struggled a little with Venice. I had stayed there several times in the past - last year I was at Guidecca three days, but was more mobile than this year. I didn’t realise how slow I had become with arthritis. However, I had a fabulous time. The lift helped enormously, so did the friendly staff.

This time I stayed six nights. I managed to visitthe Biennale. It was my first stay in Venice during the Redentore Fiesta. Thank you for organising that great party on the Sat. 20 July. It was done with military precision. Everybody liked the meal and enjoyed the party very much. Fabulous unforgettable experience!

I'll be back soon.

Svetlana

San Diego, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My bf and I (ages 31 and 33) completed our first backpack trip through Europe. Venice was one of our first stops and we stayed at this hostel. It was hands down the best hostel we stayed at in Italy (we also stayed at hostels in Cinque Terre and Rome).

The place has just been renovated and it shows. The rooms look brand new, the beds are large and long (this was the only hostel where my feet didn't hang off the bed). Also, the showers and bathrooms are very clean and some of the smaller dorm rooms have a bathroom in the same room as the dorm. One of my favorite things about this hostel is that in the bathrooms they have speakers and they play Italian music and in the afternoons/evenings you can hear Italian novellas playing. If you're able to afford it I recommend the smaller dorm rooms (I think there's a total of 7 beds in there). There is air conditioning in all the rooms however not in the hallways or restrooms. The lobby and open areas are very nicely furnished and there's a full bar with a very kind bartender. At night, most visitors will go outside the hostel with a bottle of wine or beer and just sit and talk/mingle. There are lockers located underneath the beds-bring your own lock. The lockers are also HUGE most regular sized backpacks will fit. We were able to fit BOTH our backpacks in one locker. Also, each bed has its own electricity outlet to charge your phone, ipad, camera, etc. This was the only hostel that we saw that had this feature. Each bed also has it's own light for reading or getting organized when everyone else is still sleeping.

The hostel is located RIGHT on the water. If you walk 8 steps from the front door you'll be in the water. The location couldn't be better. The vaporetto stop is very close to the hostel and takes you directly to San Marco square. We purchased an all day vaporetto pass for 2 days so that we wouldn't have to pay for each individual trip to and from the main areas.

We did not eat the breakfast because we were usually in a hurry to head out but by the looks of other visitors eating it I think it's pretty tasty. The staff were very helpful with directions and anything else we needed. The location of this hostel was also very safe and comfortable. Next door to the hostel is a pizza/food location with free wifi if you eat there. Also, located about 1/4 mile down the road is a market-we purchased some bread, nutella and fruits to enjoy a picnic while exploring Venice one day (Venice is one of the more expensive cities).

The only issue that kept me from giving this hostel a 5 rating is that their wifi system was down while we visited. I think they have been having issues with it since the remodel. I know they are trying to fix it and working diligently to do so. Once the wifi is up and running this place will be the best deal in Venice (it's still a great place to stay).

Room Tip: Our first night we were placed in a small dorm (7 beds) because they mixed up our reservation and th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This hostel is on an Island off of Venice, which was fine as it was very easy to get to via Vaporetto. It's newly renovated, which was great in terms of new amenities. Everything seemed clean and shiny. This also meant, though, that there were some small issues, like the wifi not working, the elevator being broke when we first checked in (and only going to the second floor, out of three), and the automatic lights sometimes would shut off while we were showering. That was...an experience. Even so, the beds were very comfortable and clean, the luggage storage nice and roomy, and check in/out was very easy. Our expectations were definitely met, and this is a good deal for a hostel in an expensive city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Generator Venice? Share your experiences!