“Only OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Locanda Silva

You added Locanda Silva to your Saves list
Locanda Silva
1.0 of 5 Inn   |   Castello 4423 | Fondamenta Remedio, 30122 Venice, Italy (Castello)   |
Ranked #237 of 433 Venice B&B and Inns
York, United Kingdom
“Only OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

The hotel was ok. Can't really describe it as anything else! Definitely take a map with you to find it as we just had the address and had to stop in a restaurant where a kind waiter called them to find out where they were, we then still took another 15 mins or so to find it!!!

I have to say the location of the hotel is its absolute saving grace, couldn't ask for much better.

The staff were ok, the room was ok (I suppose a little dingy, not 100% clean and of course sharing a bathroom wasn't ideal) We didn't have to wait for the bathroom which was good but it was a little hairy inside! Overnight the hotel was quiet but both mornings we were awoken early by the maid, and then all the other guests passing by the room and talking, they might as well have been in the room with us!

If you don't like carrying your own luggage up stairs then don't stay here. We didn't mind and there weren't that many stairs, plus we had seen from other reviews that there was no lift so we didn't have any expectatons in that sense.

Breakfast was ok, the banana yoghurt was questionable and like others have said the coffee wouldn't win any awards!

I would say this hotel is overpriced for what it is but then you have to consider that you're in an amazingly located hotel in Venice and that is what you pay for.

I would possibly stay here again if I couldn't find anything that was more value for money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Brooklyn, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

This hotel has a good location in Venice and very decent accommodations for the price.

The one quirk was that when booking the room, we specifically asked for a special 10% off promotion that we read about in a guide book. The hotel booked us, but at checkout time, they requested full price. When asked about the discount, the wispy-haired gentleman behind the counter told us that he couldn't give us the discount because it must be requested ahead of time and besides, he'd already charged our card. We told him very kindly that we did request the discount ahead of time and that he should check his e-mail records and besides, he can refund the payment to the card and request another. The gentleman said he didn't have any record of the request. We pulled up our e-mail exchange and showed it to him. At this point, the gentleman knew he was constrained by the truth and had to oblige, but he was visibly upset and started slamming drawers and angrily shuffling the various papers on his desk. He nearly destroyed the hotel's only stapler. When we handed him an American Express card, he abruptly declined to process it. Finally, after an awkward emotionally-charged moment that lasted what seemed like a lifetime, he accepted a Visa payment, we thanked him and were on our way. I will forever carry with me the feeling of shame that the wispy-haired gentleman instilled in me for not letting Hotel Locanda Silva take advantage of me and my 28 euro, which in the end, probably also cost them a stapler and a few broken drawers.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

But you get what you pay for. I live in Europe and have for almost a decade, so I take things with a grain of salt. Venice is ridiculously expensive and not particularly tourist friendly, but every new family member that comes "has" to go. So we go. This place is fine for the price. The location is wonderful. At least the rooms have AC. Breakfast is weak at best, but there is plenty better within a short walk and, seriously, if you've come to Venice and then saved by staying here, go splurge on a coffee and pastry in Pza San Marco. Get out. I do agree with several writers who noted teh cleaning was not very good. I was disappointed in that. Beds were poor. The walk upstairs, I expected. The surly service I expect in Venice. but I paid the night before so I could just drop the key and walk early morning. And I had 7 family members with me. But the savings here allowed us to hit Venice (have I mentioned I don't like Venice) and then go to the REAL Italy and splurge in Rome, Naples, Amalfi, Tuscany, etc.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Neenah, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Once we found the hotel within the twists and turns... we had a nice room with a shared bathroom. The shared bathroom was the only turn off otherwise it was a great hotel, very conveniently located within steps of Piazza di San Marco. The hotel allowed us to leave our bags there after check-out while we wondered around Venice. Hard to sleep because there was no A/C and we had to leave the window open. Great price for location.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Waterloo, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

IMPORTANT NOTE to TripAdvisor readers: Prior to booking this hotel, I had read the very mixed reviews on TripAdvisor before booking this hotel, and decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. Boy, was that a mistake!! Believe me, anything above a "Poor" ranking for this hotel is completely undeserved, and those reviews should be disregarded... I made the mistake of not seriously considering the reviews with low rankings. There are only two positive things I can say for this hotel: it's proximity to St. Marks Square and air conditioning; however, there are plenty of other hotels in the same area that would be a much more suitable choice than Locanda Silva.

Locanda Silva was the second stop on our very first family trip to Europe. We were greeted by a cold and unfriendly concierge who actually seemed to be put-out that we disturbed him from whatever he was doing on the computer. There is no lift, so if you have a lot of luggage be prepared for a workout (and no offer of help from the concierge).

The beds were very uncomfortable (my daughter described hers as "awful! I could have slept on a rock better than that!"). I have no idea what the pillows were filled with... they were the most lumpy, hard pillows I've ever experienced (I was tempted to open one up to see if they were filled with rolled-up old socks).

The beds were made-up every day by the cleaning staff, but the rooms were not cleaned; this was particularly noticeable in the bathroom. The cleaning staff also turned off the air conditioning every day, so we would return to a hot, stuffy room in the evening.

The breakfast was awful. The coffee was terrible, the roll was dry and hard, the "hot" chocolate that was made for the kids was not even mixed properly and was barely lukewarm. The one lady in the breakfast room wouldn't let our family sit by the window.

They do not have a concierge at the desk 24hrs, and therefore you cannot checkout in the morning before 8am when the concierge is SUPPOSED to arrive at work. The day we left, the concierge "missed his boat" so was late getting to work, and no-one else was able to take our payment. We had a morning flight, so needless to say, this added extra stress to our departure.

I've read the review by "AnnieLennox" on 28 September 2011 and agree with most of her review. Although Locanda Silva is not the absolute worst hotel we've ever stayed in, it ranks right among the bottom and we will never stay here again, nor would we ever recommend it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

This hotel was beautifully located in the heart of Venice, very close to Piazza San Marco and the Rialto bridge. Great price for Venice. Service was adequate, but not overly friendly or helpful. Breakfast (included) was quite nice. I had a single room on the third floor with a small balcony overlooking a canal. Bathroom and shower down the hall, but never had to wait for either. I would recommend if you want value.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Fresno, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Low price for Venice. Only stayed two nights. I got the cheapest possible room, shared shower and toilet with sink in the room. Only once had to wait about 5 minutes to get into the shower.

I picked up pizza and beer or donner kebab at the closest shop and ate on a little balcony on the landing both nights. View was only of other people's laundry, but it was outside.There was a nice living space on the floor below and pay computers, but I did not try them.

The place is hard to find but that's just the way it is in Venice. Print out the hotel directions and get a good map. Show it to people when you ask for help. Even rival inn-keepers will walk you to the canal if you ask politely. It is a great location once you get comfortable with where you are.

Not much help or support from front desk, but they were polite on check-in. Breakfast was ample and the breakfast room was pleasant.

The whole Venice experience was only ok for me, The trip to Murano was a highlight and I enjoyed seeing the Doge's Palace, but mostly Venice seems like a dirty little Disneyland with souvenir shops and canals.

Murano glass makes great souvenirs and a trip to the island is well worth your time. Stop on the cemetery island on the way back for a bit of peaceful contemplation.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Locanda Silva? Share your experiences!