“Budget Hotel in Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Al Vagon

You added Hotel Al Vagon to your Saves list
Hotel Al Vagon
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cannaregio 5619 | Campiello Riccardo Selvatico, 30131 Venice, Italy   |
Ranked #166 of 383 Hotels in Venice
carlisle
“Budget Hotel in Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

We paid 90 euros a night for room only, the room was in a venetian style with on-suite nice and clean, not much of a view as it looked on to an internal courtyard (room 21) but this ment it was nice and quiet.
The reception staff were helpful and polite, we got stranded because of the volcanic ash and they helped us out and didn't increase their prices like some other hotels did.
Great Location for everything 5 - 10 min walk to Rialto water bus or 15 min walk to F. Nove for Airport water bus.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

Remember the volcanic ash cloud over Europe? Well some hotels really tried to take advantage of their clientele during this tough time, and Al Vagon is at the top of the list. What happened:

I had a reservation for Saturday and Sunday. Unfortunately because of the volcano, my girlfriend never made it to Venice. Knowing she couldn't get a flight, I called on Friday to see if there was any possibility of cancelling if they could book the room and they said "absolutely not. You're the 7th person who has called to cancel and we cannot manage a business this way. It will be IIMPOSSIBLE for us to rent this room for the weekend and therefore no cancellations are accepted." I thought, ok, fair enough. Tough but fair and completely understandable. But what came next was surprising:

I showed up the hotel on my own on Saturday and they had given away my room! They said no rooms were available and that they had cancelled my reservation because they assumed i wasn't coming as they knew all flights were cancelled. I found it interesting that despite 7 clients who cancelled reservations, they were able to book these rooms on very short notice, despite what they had told me the night before. What was seemingly impossible had happened pretty quickly!

The end game for this hotel, I suspect is that they planned to charge me for this hotel room all along as they said they would. They also guessed that I would never show up, but I was already in Italy so I did. I think their plan was to re-rent the room for the night, thus gaining 2 fares for the night. I suspect this was the game. I know hotels do this sometimes, and it sucks when it happens to you.

Maurizio, the owner, made a few phone calls, to no avail. But his solution was to offer me his nephew's apartment, a pretty average place at best, but very dark at the same price as his hotel room. Same price - no discount for all his mismanagement!

After 90 minutes he finally found me a decent hotel - Hotel Sofia, but when we got there I asked about the price. The woman said - same as Maurizio's - 100 euro. Then i said, wait a minute - Maurizio was trying to charge me 110 euro! Couldn't believe how many times they tried to overcharge me.

Lots of little tricks they play. I never saw the inside of the hotel so cannot comment on that. Can only comment on what happened to me and how they tried to take advantage.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
karimpante, Owner at Hotel Al Vagon, responded to this review, June 10, 2010
The guest had cancelled his booking the day before he arrived, we accepted the cancellation, we didn't debit him with anything even though we could have done it. Anyway the guest arrived in our hotel and he wanted the room even if he had cancelled his booking. It took me 2 hours to help hem finding another hotel. For the volcanic ash we had many cancellations, we didn't debit any guest with any money. Actualy we haven't had any other complaining.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

Overall this is a great little hotel. Probably not too expensive for Venice.

The room was exactly as expected, the superior canal view room (No 2 in the annex) is as per the picture on the hotel website.

It was warm and comfortable. Two tiny details which did not hinder our enjoyment but would have made a great stay special. Cigarette burns on the bedding, though I hasten to add the room did not smell of smoke at all - probably old burns.

There was no soap/shampoo provided in the bathroom. I would usually nip to reception to ask for soap but we had been informed that reception would be closed and had been given a mobile number for the owner in case of need Phoning an italian mobile would cost more than popping out and buying our own, which we did. As I said, a small detail.

Our stay was pleasant and we didn't have any contact with anyone who worked in the hotel until check out. The member of staff appeared extremely busy and was therefore terse with us. We shouldn't have interrupted her phone call (which was not stopped) with such trivial matters as paying. In summary though we would probably stay again if the price was right.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

This hotel was well located and well maintained and relatively well priced. However our room was situated above a main thoroughfare and this meant there was constant noise until 3.00am every night. There was no double glazing to kill the noise.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
luxemburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

I spent 3 nights in this hotel with my mother, room 11 superior, very well decorated (XVIII century venetian style), private bathroom, very clean and proper. We just loved! The hotel is very well located, you can reach all main city attractions within 10 minutes walk. Perfect location. The price was not bad for Venice. The hotel doens´t offer breakfast but we didn´t consider it very relevant. I definitely recommend this hotel.
I.Vitoriano

• Stayed November 2009
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

We liked this hotel for its location-- an easy walk to St. Marks, to Ca' d'Oro vaporetto and even to the ferry to Murano. We found the hotel easily using the directions from the hotel. Apparently, the directions from the airport are not as good. We got a pretty good sized room for 3. The bathroom and room were clean and well appointed. One trick: the air conditioner which I thought was broken actually worked (Mr. Kumar gave us good directions). There is no internet access at the hotel. Our room was actually not in the hotel proper but across the street. It was a bit noisy at night if you left the windows open (we had the campiello view room). If you turned on the air, you could sleep better. I would stay here again, because the price was very good for the central location. If you have a lot of luggage-- there is no elevator-- so be warned. I was lucky enough to have the manager carry my bag up.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

We had a front room facing the little campello (sp?) and the juice bar beside/under the hotel plays loud music until late into the evening. It might have been OK if the weather was cooler and we could have closed the windows. Or maybe the rear canal facing rooms are a better choice. There are mosquitos in the warmer weather and they come in as there are no screens. Evidence of them abound. This hotel is great for location and value in Venice. Nothing fancy, no breakfast served and don't expect American standard(s) and you will be all set. For value per night, I don't think this can be beat.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Al Vagon? Share your experiences!