“Good value and location for Venice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel alla Salute

You added Hotel alla Salute to your Saves list
Hotel alla Salute
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Salute 222, Fondamenta Ca Bala, 30123 Venice, Italy (Dorsoduro)   |
Ranked #303 of 383 Hotels in Venice
Sydney
“Good value and location for Venice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

A great value hotel in an excellent location in a quiet canal but only a 5 minute waterbus from San Marco...you could also walk there by bridge. Beautiful location, and some nice cafes and bars close by. Hotel represented very good value for Venice, wi fi worked well in our room (despite earlier reviews) and was priced very well EURO5 for 24 hours. This compared to EURO5 per 1 hour at Internet Cafe. Breakfast was fine and could also be taken in outside courtyard. Rooms were functional and clean. Front desk staff warm and helpful, including Federica who was lovely. Remember that additional room tax of EURO4 per night payable at this hotel. Recommended.

Room Tip: The canal view rooms are excellent but beware on a weekend night...the noise from outside echoes con...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
luton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The hotel is surrounded by historic buildings and in my opium the prettiest part of Venice surrounded by smaller canals. You are five min's away from the waterbuses diverse direction. Good idea to get a get a waterbus pass on line at the airport or port for 50euro for 7 days less for 3 days it will take you around Venice and Lindo and Murano which is a must to visit.Without a pass 7euro each time.
The Hotel Salute is well situated a great price too I paid 317.00 for 7 days in late march 2013 extra 30 for a room with a water view which was stunning. Add on 6 a day for breakfast and government tax of 25uero when you leave. Breakfast is continental other serials french toast greek yogurt chesses salami roles cake egg,boiled and scrabbled ,fruit tined though and teas coffees juices etc. Retardants , shops scattered in walking distance and a little further a small supermarket were you can get wines etc. Staff are helpful with bus and train timetables additionally direction however staff may differ so best to recheck. One day we had no hot water but they explained this was all the hotel in Venice too. No air con did not bother me as its not hot in Italy 27/

Restaurants in Venice not all what there made out to be some selling frozen food unaware to you arriving at your table not looking like the picture and when passing by a few places I noticed impressive picture food demonstrating what food was on the menu and the price price #however what I noticed they never sold as advertised.
You get in the restaurant to order what you seen out side at such a price and you find its not on the menu or at that price .Some waiters are rude even hover over you if you take there table for a drink and not eat when busy.

Waterbus conductors if you like, are lions that's all I can say they bight so beware don't be near the rope when they stop :))))

Lindo At least half island is a sandy beach, much of it belonging to the various hotels that house the summer tourists. .I loved Lindo you will too it some great retardants cheap eats too. i got the best burger and chips ever from a Chinese family and they cook most things and I would say the best in Venice .You will find them half way down left side towards the beach, amusements for kids are a little further down . The beach restaurant come café has a help yourself or set meals cheap too.If you don't have a waterbus pass you can get on a boat for 20euro

Murano an island in the Venetian Lagoon where glass has been made for more than 700 years.Murano is an island town close to Venice's northern shore .It's not as large or as important as its neighbour, but it does still have a Grand Canal, some elegant palazzi and a couple of fine churches. Murano is most famous for its glassmaking factories, and tourists throng the main canalsides, which are lined with shops and showrooms.packed with glassmaking factories, showrooms and gift shops, personally 'almost everything they make ... is perfectly horrible in '. small novelty items are staggeringly tasteless. But the island is amazing.If you don't have a waterbus pass you can get on a boat for 20euro

While in Venice if you get time go to Rome 3 hours by train. You have to be up for the bus around 4 in morning check with staff. The water bus will take you to the train station which is next to the port get a map. Nothing is open at this time so you have to use the ticket machine press in English. You will need a train TICKET TO ROME FROM VENICE PLUS AND UNDERGROUND TICKET TO COPLETE YOUR DESTNATION.The ticket will coast 80uero and the UNDERGROUND train 3 UERO. First class on the euro train is an extra 20 total a 100 EURO you will receive free drinks. champs ,snacks ,paper. The train goes about 200 miles an hour.The stop you will need will be the very last stop final stop for the train , Rome station. Shops are open so before going to underground ask for the name of the Vatican stop this is only a few stops. Go down to the underground time tables is written up is like the airport. If your going to Rome for the day best get on the earliest possible train giving you more time to see Rome be back on the under grand to get a train for 7 something because the last waterbus back to Venice night time is ten a clock, don't quote me on the exact time .

(Dyslexic)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My experience at the Hotel alla Salute was a very good one. I immediately fell in love with the neighborhood of Dorsoduro, which was just across the Grand Canal from San Marco, and yet, itself, was peaceful, quiet, and not crowded with summer tourists. The neighborhood really made it clear to me why people love Venice. I really liked the fact that the hotel was on a small canal (so pretty), and was also situated between the Grand Canal and the Guidecca Canal, where there was a lot of fascinating boat traffic and also wonderful cooling breezes blowing across the water of the Guidecca Canal. (If you wish, you may want to read my review of Dorsoduro.) The weather in Italy this late July was almost unbearably hot, and I believe that most of Europe was suffering a heat wave. One cannot blame this on the hotel. Since I was spending my money very carefully, I had not booked a room with air conditioning.

I arrived in Venice several hours before check-in time at the hotel, but the hotel offers luggage storage, so I went there for that purpose, but the wonderful desk clerk said that I could have the room right now, since it was already ready! After 15 hours of traveling, that was such a great thing, and so very thoughtful. She gave me the key for room number 12 and said it was just up the stairs. When I asked her where the bathroom was (I had expected it to be down the hall, maybe), she said, "It's in your room, you have a private bath!" I could have kissed her...the value I got from this room was greater than I had expected! (I suddenly realized that I am finally to old for "hostel" travel.)

The room was pretty, but small, but I can have no legitimate complaint about that (four out of the five hotel rooms I had on my two-week trip to Italy were small, and all gave great value for what I spent). The view from my room was over the hotel's garden. One thing I always like to have in a hotel room is a writing desk, and there was one in this room, right next to the window, so I could write in my journal and write postcards.

I mentioned that it was a heatwave and I had not booked a room with air conditioning, so I felt I had no choice but to sleep with the windows and curtains wide open so that there would be some cooling breezes. There were some negatives to that plan--there was too much light for good sleep, there were fascinating but noisy birds squawking all night, and I became aware of some mosquitos buzzing around me. I had expected there would be mosquitos (Venice, summer, heat, water everywhere...there is reality to deal with), so I put on my insect-repelling "Bug Band" bracelet and solved the mosquito problem. That first night was sort of like "camping"--I was actually "at" or "in" Venice.

But I observed, realized, wised up, learned something for the next night (isn't this what traveling can be all about?). I saw that virtually every window in Venice has SHUTTERS, and everywhere I looked, I saw that people closed their shutters at night. But the shutter is BLACK IRON, wouldn't that turn my room into a BROILER? But I tried it and guess what, the black iron shutter repels the heat...and the light...and the noise...and the mosquitos! Perfect solution.

I had heard that Italian hotels offer "nothing" breakfasts (according to American tastes). Well, that certainly wasn't true at the Hotel Alla Salute. In addition to the cornettos and other bread offerings with every kind of jam, butter, or other condiment, and cereals with milk or yogurt, and fruit, they also did have protein offerings--hard boiled eggs, cheese, ham slices. And they have a coffee machine that offers espresso, cappuccino, and various other combinations and forms of coffee. You can eat your breakfast in the breakfast room, or outside in the garden.

Exploring the hotel a bit, I found an upstairs patio area that I really enjoyed (I am pretty sure I was allowed to be up there, that it wasn't meant to be a private portion of somebody's room), another good place to relax, read, write, and enjoy a cool drink.

All in all, everything about this hotel was a pleasant surprise, and, unquestionably, I would love to go back to Venice for another trip and I would be very happy to stay in this same hotel again.

Room Tip: You probably will want a private bathroom, and if you are traveling in the summer, pay extra for air...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Steyning, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

If I had read some of the reviews before booking with this hotel I would have looked elsewhere. References to 'no hot water', 'no air/con' and 'dirty' are off-putting and, in our case, were misleading. In Room 64 we did have hot water - if we left the shower running for long enough. Yes, the carpets could use a vacuum cleaner more often, and the breakfast diner was so busy on the first morning we had to wait a short while for a table, but if you want a 5* hotel you have to pay for it. If you can't afford air/con, open the window. We really enjoyed our stay and our room was clean and large enough for two. The location of the hotel was perfect, the view from the windows was lovely (see photo), the room was clean, the beds comfortable and the breakfasts were better than some hotels offer. I have been on holiday to 12 different European cities in the last three years and in some I have been offered coffee and croissants only! Alla Salute is even looking to refund breakfast on the final day, because we had to leave for the airport at 6:30am (breakfast is from 7:45am). If you want a low-budget hotel on the quieter (less-manic) west side of Venice, this is for you - although I can only vouch for room 64, of course.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

As a single 32-year-old traveller making my way through Europe I wanted to splash out a bit on luxury, chic hotel rooms. After browsing the information and photos on Booking.com for the hotels in Venice I feel in love with this hotel. However... on arrival I was not given one of the stylish rooms they show on their photos, I was given a pokey run-down room that smelt damp, was cramped, and did not meet my standards of an 80-euro a night room.

When I challenged the reception staff about it they did a fantastic job of fobbing me off about my room selection at booking and claimed it was an upgrade as my original room had no air-con! They made it very clear there was nothing they were going to do about it.

I was very disappointed and it was not a good introduction to customer service in Italy.

Please compare my photos with the photos on Booking.com and be sure you do not book a 'Classic' room.

Room Tip: Don't choose 'Classic' room on booking.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

After reading many comments on tripadvisor I got worried but upon our arrival worries soon made space for relief.booked through booking.com everything we booked for was correct and payment got through without any problems.reception staff was friendly and helpful.we got room 32 which is a clean refurbished room with a spotless bathroom (toilet,shower,hairdryer) and a real double bed.there is no airco but opening the windows gives you a nice breeze (windows stayed open all night as its a really quiet hotel and neighborhood in general) and we did not notice one mosquito.breakfast was correct in accordance with,lets not forget,a two star hotel.we would recommend the hotel for its nice neighborhood (10min walk to accademia and 3 to salute vaporetto stop) its clean rooms, friendly staff and correct breakfast.yes wifi is charged 2€ per hour but you can use the credit of one hour according your needs (you can always logout and login the next day using the rest of your credit) and it was working perfectly in our room.we will certainly consider staying in this hotel next time.

• Stayed August 2013
Gainesville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We loved Venice but not the hotel. No A/C unless you pay extra 50 euros per night. It was very hot and they had no fans available. My son and I chose to sleep sitting in chairs in the lobby where there was air conditioning. The room was very hot and stuffy and tried to stay in the lobby as much as possible. My wife stayed in the room with the windows open and got bitten all over by mosquitoes and laid in sweat all night. We thought the breakfast was free, but it cost 6 euros extra for each person. The Internet cost 1.50 euros per hour to use. We had a shared bathroom and the commode was not even cemented to the floor. Had to go to another one on the same floor and it had a pool of water that you had to wade in to get to the commode. I would definitely not recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel alla Salute? Share your experiences!