“This is a HOSTEL not a hotel.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Iris
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   San Polo 2910/A, 30125 Venice, Italy (San Polo)   |
Ranked #303 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Dallas, Texas
“This is a HOSTEL not a hotel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

This should not be called a hotel. I booked this hotel from another website it was advertised as a 3 star hotel for a great price. Should have known better. We got there and where very disappointed by the lobby. It was kinda gross and needing updating. We arrived too early to check in so we were able to leave our luggage the one problem I had was that it was just right there in the lobby area by the tv where just any one could walk by and take them or rummage through it. The free wifi is only available in the lobby so you cant use it in the room. The rooms were ok we had trouble with our door it always stuck so we had to wrestle with it every time just to get it open my husband skinned his finger on the door jam trying to get it open one night. Our door also looked like it had been kicked or something had a hole in it that was covered up by several stickers instead of just being replaced. The bathroom was gross made me want to wear flip flops every time I went in there because I didnt want to leave with a foot fungus or something. There was no shower just a bath tub with the shower head attached and no shower curtain might I add. I dont know how they thought you could take a shower and not drench the place. On our last night there we came back to find ants in our bed! Which wasnt as bad as the lady complaining at the front desk about having bugs in her bathroom. Breakfast wasnt that great either. It was 2 rolls with jam and a croissant with juice and coffee. nothing special.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Me and my best friend stayed there in Apil 2011 for 3nights .
Hotel location was very good ,but hotel is very old and nothing special,bed was ok and clean but everything else were a bit tired .
Breakfast was just one crossaint each, 1 cup bad coffee with funny milk ,one cup of juice and some try bread plus some jam ....that was it .
We only had breakfast once because we tought it was just waste of time , instead we had lovely latte and sandwich outside of hotel every morning:) Well me and my friend paid 45 e a night each...i would pay for the hotel 22e a ROOM per night .Room was very small!I would stay again but for less money :)

ps:wifi is only downstairs ,so u cant use internet in u r room

-for the hotel managment ,rooms need good paint and new furniture and check in takes too long!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

I stayed for 4 nights during the UK double bank holiday weekend.
Room: My single room was small, clean and functional with a clean nicely laid out bathroom. The room almost met my expectations with regards to what was advertised. These would have been met if my TV remote had worked or if I had been able to turn the TV on by other means. The advertised air-con facility's location was not obvious though I did not require this.
Staff: Reception was manned 24 hours by 4 very different young men each doing different shifts. I would say for the most part they were fine. The guy who checked me in was a bit abrasive, though I think this was more a communication thing. His direction provision seemed a bit blase on one occasion. Another guy successfully directed me to a shop I was looking for and gave me info on the boats. He was by far and away the most pleasant one of the reception team. The poor soul doing the night shift was trying to get some sleep when I returned from a late night. Most of them were friendly. I would have been happier if my TV remote problem had been resolved instead of unacknowledged by one receptionist as it was mentioned immediately before another request that I had. When I chased this, the night guy came up to the room to check the TV and said that he would mention it to someone in the morning. I received no further response. The ladies on the breakfast run were nice and courteous.
Breakfast: Breakfast was as standard for an Italian B & B, consisting of rolls, croissant, fruit juice and coffee with preserves and butter. My expectations were met. and the dining area was clean.
Location: Fabulous. Short boat trip to Rialto and San Marco and a 10 minute walk to Accademia. You get a decent night's sleep as you are out of the hustle and bustle and the hustle and bustle are within easy reach. There are great restaurants and bars nearby and it is great place to explore less visited parts of Venice. Campo San Margerita is great for restaurants. Great food and value for your Euro. Word to the wise. If a nearby restaurant seems unbelievably cheap and you are offered further discounts for it, it is cheap for a reason. Likewise a nearby trattoria named after the Vaporetto stop is unbelievably expensive for no reason at all.
Summary: It could be a great hotel if the reception customer service was a bit more consistent and if they made some visible effort to resolve any issues that you have. It is not the Hilton or Concordia, If you want cooked breakfasts and bag -carrying that's were you'll need to go. If they were a bit more committed to customer service and perhaps put small travel kettles. teabags and coffee in the rooms. they would have a gold-mine.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

Check in took so long. My husband requested a baby cot. We had to wait about 30 minutes for it and set it up ourselves. Nice way to spend our first afternoon in Venice. When it wasn't working, I went downstairs to talk to the manager, Anwar, who needs to get a definition in the word "customer service". He accused me of wanting a bigger room / bed. I said I only wanted a baby bed that works or a room with one bed so that the baby can sleep in the middle. He started getting loud and accussed me in front of others that I wanted a bigger room. He was so incredibly rude.

The bathrooms (shared) were dirty, one was completely clogged.

The hotel claims a free breakfast which is one small roll, a croissant and coffee. That's it.

The hotel also holds your passports, which I do not like.

Walls are paper thin so expect to hear everyone's comings and goings.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
San Leandro, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

this was our only option when we booked it for a quadruple room. every hotel in venice was ridiculously priced. service was fine, someone at front desk 24 hours. the owner rec us a restaurant which was great. definitely need god walking shoe, lots of stairs and little bridges to cross the canals.

there is a boat bus to take you to different places. also make sure you know which airport you are flying out of, we took the ferry to the wrong one!

overall we were happy with our stay here. the bathroom in our room was pretty big (for EU standards). there is a little store close by for food, snacks, drinks. they staff at hostal gave us map info, etc.

continental breakfast included- which in most of Europe that means- coffee, toast and some type of danish/croissant.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

Having not been to venice before, i don't know how this standard / cost compares to other hotels... but it was about the cheapest we could find in a reasonable location (800 Euros for 1 double and 1 twin room for 3 nights, inc breakfast).
The location was brilliant. 1/2 mins walk from San Toma Vaporetto, 3 mins walk from the Frari / 15 ish from the Rialto or 15 from the Accademia. Rooms pretty basic, can be very different - mine was unremarkable - very clean room but shower room small and shower tiles could have been cleaner, room would have seemed much nicer after a lick of paint? Our other room much nicer - lovely murals on walls and ceiling, and bigger shower room. Desk staff polite, friendly and unintrusive. Breakfast staff efficient, polite and one alot more smiley than the other. Fine for a hotel not spending much time in.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for a night, and really enjoyed it! The staff was friendly, and the breakfast (only 15 euro extra) was one of the best I've had at any hotel in Europe. The only small quirk is that you should remember to use your bug spray (I saw a couple cockroaches, and woke up with a few mysterious bug-bites on my thighs). It really shouldn't be a problem though unless you're particularly squeamish - we were just silly to forget to use the bug-spray, and the roaches were only out at night (probably came out around midnight). Also the neighborhood of the hotel is gorgeous (though the be careful of the alley behind it - it smells odd, and a man approached my son asking if he wanted to buy cocaine there). The entrance to the hotel is actually on the main street though, so the alley is pretty easy to avoid. Anyway, the hotel really is quite charming, and the service is fantastic, so just remember to use the bug-spray, avoid the back alley, and you'll have a wonderful time! Enjoy :)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Iris? Share your experiences!