“Location, location, location!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #168 of 382 hotels in Venice
London
“Location, location, location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was a great litte hotel, just up a side road from the San Marco plaza which meant everything was local but you escaped the majority of the noise. We had a nice room with the most bijou bathroom you'd ever seen - everything you needed was there, but don't pack a cat!!
Hotel staff were friendly to us and we had a great stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
sequim
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Location is a prime issue for us. This very nice hotel is located about 100 feet from San Marco Piazza. A 2 minute walk to the Doges Palace, 3 minute walk to the Grand Canal, a 15 minute walk to a fine residential area, away from most tourists, 30 minute walk to the Pointe Realto, no boat needed to get to most of Venice.
Nice breakfast, very helpful staff, It is the place to stay. We have stayed at finer and more expensive places, but this central location lets you step out the hotel door and enjoy the Piazza in the evenings with ease. When you leave Venice by air, take the alaguna boat on the Grand Canal, 10 minute easy walk, even with luggage and it drops you off at the airport. A boat to the airport, are you kidding it was great!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Yorktown Heights, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

Only 30 or so yards from the basilica. Great location. Received a warm welcome at this hotel. Excellent value. Will appeal to European value hunters. Caution: I fear my fellow Americans will prefer larger rooms, larger bathrooms, and more items for breakfast. This is a pity because we had such a wonderful time in Venice, in part because of this hotel.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangor, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I hate to give this hotel a poor rating, and really it should be a higher rating if I was just writing about the hotel. However, the lady, Elisa, that was on duty when we were there was really rude.

Anyone who has been to Venice knows that it is all on foot once you get off the water taxi. Therefore, if you are lugging your luggage in the July heat, you want to make sure you know where you are going....... My daughter phoned ahead to the hotel to ask for directions. As she was trying to repeat the directions to the lady to make sure she had them straight, it appeared that Elisa hung up on her.

When we arrived at the hotel, Elisa was on duty at the front desk. She knew we had had problems finding the hotel and she simply handed us a map saying that we should have had that to start with. She said nothing like, "I am glad you finally found us"...........

She said that she would show us to our rooms, and the best way I can say it is that she was annoyed to even do that. We, the guests, were not appreciated.

I could not figure out whatever caused this. There was an older gentleman on duty with her who was very unhelpful as well.

Two other gentlemen that worked there at the desk were great!!

The staff that served the breakfast and cleaned the rooms were all very friendly and accommodating people.

So, since we had more dealings with Elisa than anyone else in that hotel, I would have to rate this as a poor experience.

The hotel in itself is nice and the rooms attractive……………somewhat dated.

The mattresses were hard....................and need to be replaced. I would not want a week on those mattresses.

Our bathroom did not have a shower curtain or a glass to protect the water from the shower from running all over the floor. The other room we had for our daughters did have the glass to protect the water from running on the floor, but the shower head was so low that they had to squat down to get wet..........and they are not that tall. We did not bother to even bring up the problems with the front desk due to the "attitude" we had been given.

We spent 33 days touring Europe and visited 7 different countries. This experience with the poor attitude in this hotel was the only hotel experience we had like this for entire trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
東京都
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

The narrowness of the room is make us dissapointed but considering the location is in the centre of Venice, it is acceptable. The service of the staff is good enough to recover the dissapointing by the narrowness and it make our mind positive to go out to Piazza di San Marco.

• Stayed September 2011
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

A pretty average hotel in a good area. Stayed for two nights. The room was old, but comfortable enough. Breakfast, which was free was good. Hotel is easy to get to which is important in Venice...(You have to lug your own bags there). Transport was by water bus from airport. €15.00 per person. It was the expensive option, but by far the easiest with kids and heavy suitcases. Venice is an expensive city, so expect to pay more than you would ordinarily expect to pay for this type of hotel, that is just the nature of the beast....

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Oxford, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I recently had a one-night stay at this hotel booked on "points." I actually had four rooms for a large party and was a little worried, as sometimes these bookings aren't very profitable for the hotel. The front desk could not have been more gracious and I thought our rooms were great.

This is a budget hotel so do not expect the Gritti Palace! We found the rooms to be nice and comfortable. My room was a little on the "hot" side, more so than the other rooms we had. The hotel uses a keylock system to control the electricity in the rooms, and I ended up taking my laptop bag to another room for safekeeping and turning the thumb-lock on my door to keep it slightly open so I could leave the door unlocked and the electricity on when I went out. But other than that I had no problem, and as I said I was the only one with this problem. The bathrooms were modern, and I don't recall any problem with things being too "low," although I will say very tall people are going to have a problem throughout Europe.

One reviewer complained about the breakfast. I thought it was fine. A continental breakfast is supposed to be just rolls, jam and coffee, so if anything else were provided it wouldn't be a continental breakfast. Why would this reviewer complain about being provided with what he was supposed to be provided with?

This hotel is just barely off the beaten path, an alleyway or two north of the main route between St. Mark's and Rialto. As a result there are some cheaper restaurants in the area. To get to this hotel from the St. Mark's boat dock, cross directly in front of St. Mark's church, take a right, then take your second left into a fairly narrow alley, about three-feet wide. Walk a ways and you will reach a fairly wide "street." Cross this street and continue down the narrow alley about 100 feet and the hotel will be on your right. Even though I describe this place as off the beaten path, if has a very good location, just a short distance from some of the more expensive places. I really like the location. I would gladly stay here again!

There is a mini-bar in the rooms with reasonably priced drinks, and drinks are also available at the front desk. The front desk clerk went out of his way to help us get a water taxi when we left, and actually walked more than 50 meters to the taxi stop twice to make sure the taxi came, as it was delayed. The staff was very friendly.

The only reason I did not give this hotel five stars is because my room was too hot. If I had been in one of the other three rooms we had I probably would have given it five stars as their air conditioners worked better. Nobody gets five stars if I'm hot. Also, I would gladly pay a $10 fee per night for an "extra" room key that would leave the electricity going in the room when I'm gone so the room would be cooler. I'm sure this would be enough to cover the extra cost of electricity and would make the room more comfortable. This "key" system is very common in Europe, but I don't have to like it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Hotel Diana? Share your experiences!