“Lovely little hotel smack in the middle of Venice” 4 of 5 stars

Locanda Ca' Foscari
Calle della Frescada 3887/B, 30123 Venice, Italy (San Polo)   |
Ranked #246 of 433 Venice B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Lovely little hotel smack in the middle of Venice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed here for four nights in May with my husband and had a great experience. Our room was quaint and sizeable with a lovely view of the rooftops of Venetian homes. The most important thing of note is that you will be able to walk EVERYWHERE in Venice if you stay here -- we thought we'd need a water bus pass, but all the attractions are in walking distance from the hotel as Venice is a small city. That makes up for pretty much everything. The only major con I can think of is that the walls are a little thin -- but you won't notice because you'll be out of your room most of the time, exploring the city. Recommended as a great budget stay in the heart of one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Room Tip: **There are steps to hike up (no elevators) so if this is an issue you may want to request a room on...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is obviously a family run business in the heart of Venice. A friend suggested we should stay in central Venice rather than Mestre, and we are so glad we did! At night time, the cruise ship guests move on, and there's less people around. Plus Venice at night time is mesmerising.

Our room faced onto the street, which did mean a bit of background noise, but not overwhelming. It could get quite warm without air conditioning, but the windows opened so no problems.

Bed was comfortable, views were great, and a quick and easy walk to the station. Smack bang in the middle of everything, although can be a touch difficult to find (which if you're lugging bags around can get a bit annoying). However once you're there it's fine. Rooms are kept very clean as well.

Not particularly accessible friendly - our room was on the third floor which meant steps, however this wasn't a problem for us.

Tip: Bring bug spray. Also, better off in all of Venice with a backpack rather than wheely case if you can.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Stayed here with a friend on a short interailing trip (both girls aged 20) for 2 nights, Hotel was perfect for what we wanted, i.e. somewhere cheap but not really grotty!!

Hotel was in a nice area (central enough that you could walk everywhere, loads of restarants and shops etc.. around it) but it was still a little out of the way so it was quiet at night. Both felt comfortable walking around at night.

We had booked a private room with a shared bathroom but were given our own bathroom (with a very good shower) for no extrra cost. The room was hot, but then we were expecting that with no air con, and they did provide a fan which made it bareable!! Bed was comfy and provided nice towels etc...

Owner of the hotel was fine, helpful when you needed it but not over the top!

Only bad thing was breakfast which we thought we would try one day. Better and cheaped to go to one of the patisserie's nearby.

would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a nice stay in venice that won't break the bank!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I was supposed to be there with my cousin...(female-male), I can say that luckily my cousin couldn't join me, otherwise it would be a bit of a problem, in the sense that it was supposed to be shared with people you have a certain kind of relationship (partner, friends), otherwise it could be critical.
I had a double bed room with en suite toilet...I will attach a couple of pics in the future.
The atmosphere was ok, but I do understand the post when people say that it doesn't seem to be an hotel...
A family seems to live there and then I didn't understand if they rent rooms.
I stayed on the 2nd floor, but I didn't understand if there is any difference between the 1st and the 2nd floor, due to the fact that on the 2nd floor there were indications about a curfew @ 1am.
Why that?
Why not on the 1st floor?
What is it going to be locked, if they guy gave me the entrance door key?

Room Tip: mine was #9 on the 2nd floor, double bed room with en suite toilet...the problem is that you hear al...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Having read up a lot about where to stay and where not to stay in Venice I took the plunge and booked a room in Locanda Ca' Foscari in Dorsoduro. I stayed in a single room with its own bathroom. The room was small but clean and had a rather charming view over the rooftops. Perhaps it could do with a little money spending on it; the towel rail fell off and I put it back on again...

The breakfast was limited - a couple of rolls, jam and tea - but I have read that this is typical of Venice. The man who let me in (the owner I presume) was very courteous and helpful. My Italian is very limited and we did a lot of gesturing!

It's worth noting that if you're not good with stairs then this will be difficult. My room was up 3 or 4 flights of very steep stairs. There's no lift and although I'm fairly fit I found it hard to carry my heavy case up!

It took me nearly an hour to find the hotel, although I must have walked past it several times! It's actually on C. Marcona, which is parallel with and to the east of C. Foscari, on the other side of the Rio di Ca' Foscari.

The hotel was basic but it was all I needed for a couple of nights and I was very glad I chose it rather than a big hotel or one outside Venice itself. I found a restaurant around the corner which had a garden and was full of locals. That was reasonable for Venice and the food was delicious - Trattoria da Silvio. If you want to experience real Venice then this is a great hotel to use as a base. If you want luxury, lots of space and to lounge around in the hotel then find somewhere else!

I was thoroughly charmed by Venice and felt in the thick of it by staying here. I could hear the bells chiming - I loved it but you may want earplugs!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Myself and my husband travelled to Italy in June 2011 and spent four nights in Venice. Since we had no booking/reservation for Venice I checked, as I always my Michelin guide. This "hotel" described as "- very simple but pleasant establishment with light,airy rooms and a family athmosphere. Offers extremely good value for money - a very rare thing in Venice" I'm not sure when exactly the Michelin inspectors visited this 'Hotel' - this is not a Hotel. Its a what I would consider a Boarding House - which was dark & dingy - no lift - no air conditioning and weird signs all over the walls as follows:
1) CURFEW - clients must be in before 1am - otherwise will be locked out
2) Please do not throw rubbish out of the windows...........HELL
3) Sign out before 10AM
The bedroom was dated (not quaint)- with a plug in fan as an Air Conditioning. Lace curtains were falling off the rails!!!
Family athmosphere - it was not. The man at the reception appeared to check you in and serve the breakfast. And now for BREAKFAST: Well we arrived down to the dark spooky Breakfast Room - we got two small bread rolls & butter. When I requested some fruit juice I was told he had none - it was 'fini' - thinking about this place gives me the creeps. And as regards value - we were charged €110 per night for this dingy hotel. Such a rip off - we later secured a beautiful hotel behind P San Marco. I am really annoyed with the inspectors from Michelin for recommending this Hotel. It had no family athmosphere and was run by a weirdo who operated an establishment which was a tourist rip off. I am actually writing to Michelin to have this removed from their books.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

Locanda Ca' Foscari is a good place, the room is comfortable and the people very nice. I enjoyed a very good time!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to Locanda Ca' Foscari? Share your experiences!