“Great Little Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Al Piave

You added Hotel Al Piave to your Saves list
Hotel Al Piave
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ruga Giuffa, Castello 4838 / 40, 30122 Venice, Italy (Castello)   |
Ranked #47 of 383 Hotels in Venice
Avon Lake, Ohio, United States
“Great Little Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Al Piave felt like a little bit of home. You can tell it is family run. Staff at desk is really great. Good breakfast every day. Pretty small, but homey and clean. I recommend this hotel. The best place we stayed out of 4 hotels in Italy. It was recommended to us by a friend at work and we weren't disappointed!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Turkish first
LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Al Piave in September 2012. It was very nice and clean. The hotel staff was very nice. There is a very compact elevator that appears to be recently installed. You need to push the button and hold it to go up or down. A little bit different, but its to be expected in a city where there are no cars. Everything must be hand carried in. Every morning there are workers who must cart in all the goods over the many bridge steps. That in itself was an interesting part of the city, like no where else. The location was excellent, just minutes from St. Mark's. From here you can walk everywhere in Venice, though do take the gondola at least once.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
South Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We loved this charming hotel. The staff was very friendly and all spoke enough English to be very helpful with every question we had. It's quite, clean, centrally located and easy to find though it helped to study the directions and match them against a map. Excellent breakfast. When return to Venice, we will try and get a room in this hotel first.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

If you are in Venice you must stay at the small but charming Hotel Al Piave. Family operated by Paolo, Mirella and daughter Ilaria, you won't find a better venue for the money. We have stayed here twice and would not think of staying elsewhere in Venice. It is like coming home. Wonderful rooms, well located to all of Venice, a lovely breakfast room and breakfast foods, helpful and polite staff....a real Gem!

Room Tip: The small hotel is lovely, but if you want more privacy they have two apartments or "family sui...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Last month our family of 7 stayed at Hotel al Piave for two nights (we are 3 adult couples and a 13 yr old grandchild). I was pleased by how new and beautiful the rooms were! VERY comfortable! The Hotel is reasonably priced especially considering the great location near to San Marcos Piazza. The morning breakfast was superb. But the best thing was the people who work there. It's a family owned business and they went out of their way for us. If I ever get to go to Venice again I'll definitely stay at Hotel al Piave.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I had just three days in Venice, I was a married artist traveling alone, and the staff of Al Piave helped me make the most of my time there with directions and suggestions for everything from transportation to music events to restaurants for specific menu items (like Chiogga fish soup at Jardinette!) They were very patient with my questions, and every one there is VERY good at drawing the route from place to place. I felt very safe at Al Piave -- they patiently helped and advised without condescension. I found the locks a bit difficult to use, so one of the maintenance staff members gave me a lesson and watched until I had mastered the touch.

I loved my room, which had a little kitchen and a clothes washing machine. All of the windows open beautifully for fresh air, and their were shutters, blinds, and curtains for whatever degree of privacy I wanted. The floor is marble, and the wood is beautifully maintained.

The breakfast, included in the room rate, was outstanding and generous. After long days of walking and studying art, I appreciated that it was served until 10 am. And, yes, I had eggs made to order for me every morning. I loved the big fat prunes, granola, cakes, and most of all, my cafe au lait that was a pot of smooth coffee and a pot of hot frothed milk that I could combine as I liked.

I loved the location in the Castello. Yes, I traveled in the evening with my rolling suitcase through narrow passage ways and over the stepped bridges -- this made me feel like I had arrived in a placed like no other. Be sure to look up for the painted name of streets near the second floor of most intersections -- the Al Piave street name, "Ruga Giuffa," is a bit difficult to spot.

Because of the location of Al Piave near to the Querini, I visited that house museum and garden, and enjoyed it very much.

Room Tip: Each room is unique. If narrow stairs are difficult for you to manage or if you are particularly tal...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Sosua, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My family and I recently stayed at this lovely family owned hotel. This was a last minute reservation for 3 rooms - my parents, my sister & her husband and for me, my husband and daughter. They accomodated us beautifully! The rooms are superclean and comfortable and nice modern bathrooms. The staff is outstandingly nice and speak very good English. Breakfast the next morning had lots of selections. The hotel has a perfect location right in the heart of Venice and minutes to San Marco's Square. They have even helped me to recover a jacket that I forgot in our room. If we ever go back to Venice, we would definitely stay at Hotel al Piave again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Al Piave? Share your experiences!