“ok for one day only (room 207)” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Alcyone Hotel

You added Alcyone Hotel to your Saves list
Alcyone Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   San Marco Calle Dei Fabbri 4712, 30124 Venice, Italy (San Marco)   |
Ranked #258 of 383 Hotels in Venice
vienna
“ok for one day only (room 207)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

* Describe the service you experienced
Black haired receptionist very friendly. many receptionists dont speak english. Thank god i speak a bit of italian. I reserved the room for a wrong date but ended up changing the plans so that i dont loose the money as nobody in the hotel could tell me whether i could come earlier.
* Tell us how you liked the room
colors are very rich and venetian red and gold. Although blue would have been more relaxing.Shower pressure is good.
* Talk about the location & amenities
Location is the best as well as the price of EUR 50 per night for a double room in Feb 2010. I liked the stairway because it was done in marble and had nice lighting. Although it is kind of narrow and steep. I liked the breakfast room because it had perfectly done marble tiles and tables and the bar. And you can look at the canal while eating breakfast. it was great to have a breakfast in the price of the room of EUR 50. We could choose from coffee (nescafe) hot chocolate and tea to have it served. Self service : fruit juice (ot 100%) cheese, ham, salami, bread buns, croissant, 2 other sweet things, 3 sorts of cereal, canned fruit, butter, nutella, honey, marmelade.
* I liked the least: the size of the room. the softness of the beds. I woke up all swallen in the morning and not rested at all. As if a truck ran me over. The room was too hot, although we turned of the air conditioning. it was supposably refurbished in 2009 but maybe not the bathroom which was also tiny . the part where the shower is attached was partly broken. and everything that used to look silver was worn out (tap etc). did not use the shower fully. I noticed some black spots in the edges of the shower (possibly mould) Sylicone should have been renewed. the wash basin was clogged instantly bidet tap also looked very used up and the part of the toilet you press to flush the water.
As everything is covered in carpet and fabric you cannot really see whether it is dirty. What also bothered me was that the floor was uneven so one cabinet looke as if it will tip over. There is a place with 5-6 hangers to hang your clothes but no real cupboard. No place but floor to put your suitcases. No mini bar. Internet you had to pay for and it did not work even in the lobby.
I would stay in this hotel for one day, not longer.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Lancaster, Lancashire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

This hotel is in a great location, just a couple of streets away from St.Mark's square but sadly this doesn't make up for the room we were given or the price charged for it. I understand that to get this kind of location in Venice you have to expect to pay a higher rate but it would also be nice to be able to sit on the toilet without your knees pushed up against the wall. The entrance hall and dining room are nicely decorated but unfortunately the room we were given was decorated in what I can only imagine is traditional Venetian style. The door would not open fully due to the wardrobe and a chair being placed in the entrance directly behind it as there was nowhere else to put them due to the room being so small. A double bed filled the majority of the room with very small bedside stands on either side. The Walls are covered in a gold and red fabric which unfortunately only made the room feel smaller. The air conditioning made a very irritating noise all the time, even when switched off and the main light in the room had four out of five lightbulbs missing and was held together by masking tape. The bathroom was so narrow we could barely move in it and the shower flooded the bathroom floor whenever it was used. The toilet was so close to the wall you could not sit straight on without your knees touching the wall and by our last day had begun to smell like a train toilet. Our room was at the front of the hotel so it was quite noisy all night which is to be expected due to it being on a main Venice street. The staff were very lacklustre and quite abrupt when we checked in and completely ignored us when we went for breakfast. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone, whilst in a great location it doesn't give good value for money and I will not be returning on my next trip to Venice.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

My wife and I stayed here in July/Aug 2009. After reading some reviews we were a little nervous. But on arrival we were very impressed. The hotel has had a total refurb and it is location location. Just a view minutes walk to both Rialto and St Marco Square. Yes the rooms are small but hey this is Venice and all buildings are within the heritage of the area. No huge American style hotels.
Our double bedroom was beatifully furnished within the Venice tradition. the hotel was quiet despite being right amoungst all the action.
The continental breakfast included in the tariff was delicious and eating breakfast watching the Gondolas pass by the full glass window of the dining room was awesome.
Only 2 downsides. Hotel has no lifts so if you are on the 3rd floor a bit of a walk and the bathrooms while tasefully furnished are small. So if you are big, maybe this is not the hotel for you. But otherwise an excellent choice for Venice. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Slovenia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

First of all we wanted to have a room for non-smoker...we came in and it was totally stinky after cigaretes.Room and bathroom were absolutly too small ! You cant move comfortable. Shower was dirty. I think they didnt clean it after previous guests. Under the shower was a lot of hair. We were afraid to touch what ever. On the one of the pillows was an old blood...It was really disgusting....Something about service in this hotel? I think they dont care about guests comfort. Service is rude. A specially the blond recepcionist. She wanted that we will leave the hotel as fast as possible. She didnt say ''bye'' and nothing. Its also a problem to speak with them in english. For a breakfast we got many sweet things but just a few hum and cheese, and no fruits and no vegetables.
Pictures in internet dont tell a true about this hotel. So what can I say more? I would never recomend Alcyone Hotel!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

Despite advising the hotel of a late arrival, we were overbooked. It wasn't just us either, there were other people arriving at the same time in the same predicament. They put us in a sister hotel - the Belle Arti which was in a far less convenient location, and was terrible. The night manager was useless, as was the day manager the next morning - they were arrogant and smug, knowing that they had deliberately overbooked us in order to fill the Belle Arti. Their email confirmation for the Alcyone said " let us know if we can do anything to make your stay more comfortable" that's a joke. They didn't even offer to help us transfer to the Belle Arti, some 15 minutes away in a poor location. Smug and arrogant management - avoid all the hotels in this chain.

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
tokyo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2009

It was 2 years ago I was in Venice and now that my associate is travelling there again I am prompted to write this brief review/warning. STAY AWAY. This is hotel HELL if ever there were such a thing. 1.Smell is terrible. 2.Room is small (and I live in Japan so I am used to small rooms)3.Shower was dirty, I think, because from what I recall, I did not use it (and yes, I bather regularly).4. And to top things off there were countless bugs in varying shapes, sizes and colors crawling from a hole above my bed. This was a nightmare. Could not have been worse.

So, just in case that was not clear - DO NOT STAY HERE. Please, for your own sake - stay away.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

This without a doubt the Worst Hotel we ever stayed at.
The reception staff was extremely unfriendly.
The room was small, The bathroom was no larger than a closet
There was a very unpleasant odor.
The place was infested with bugs.
We visit Venice from time to time but will never again stay at this dump.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Alcyone Hotel? Share your experiences!