“Great location, tired & dated accommodation” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Tintoretto
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cannaregio Santa Fosca 2316, 30121 Venice, Italy   |
Ranked #259 of 382 hotels in Venice
Derbyshire
“Great location, tired & dated accommodation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

We were allocated this hotel as part of a great deal booked through Travelzoo (GREAT site!). The hotel proved difficult to find and was strange in that our room was across the way from the main hotel. The room was large, quite clean and reasonably quiet but was dark and remiscent of the 80s! For the price we paid we can't grumble but if we had booked it at internet prices we would have been disappointed. Breakfast was adequate - just.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Istanbul
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

My experience with this hotel was fine. My room had been recently renovated and was really clean. It felt very cozy. Only strange thing was that it was around the corner from the main hotel (they had a block of rooms in a side street) so I had to walk outside to the main part of the hotel to go and eat breakfast. Although this was very strange, having a room in the separate section gave me a feeling of being less of a tourist, more like a local. The breakfast was not good - dry, unappetising - felt I had to eat elsewhere to fill up. Staff were polite and efficient, although they didn't go out of their way to help.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
nyc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

There's no elevator; the rooms are tiny, their supposedly continental breakfast is just bread and butter or cereal; the hotel has this strange policy that you can't eat or drink anything in the room, so after I would violate this policy nightly I'd have to toss my trash out the window into the canal below; the room has a safe but they charge you to use it, which I hadn't realized until checking out, but I got into a fight with the nasty receptionist and just walked out without paying for the use of the safe. The location's not great either, about 40 minutes by water bus to San Marco. Bottom line, though this is supposedly a 3-star hotel,it's REALLY NOT 3-star quality.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Hull,East Yorkshire,England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

I AM THE SPOUSE OF BEST DRIVER...who reviewed this hotel before me.
You couldn't be in a better location.
Off the bus in the bus staion, across the bridge to the main Island and follow the crowds for about 20mins and the hotel is on the left behind the church. Just look out for the sign on a wall. We found it on google earth before we went.
Like many small family hotels in Italian Cities space is limited so the lobby/reception and lounge are not much bigger than our phone boxes, but they always seem to fit in all thats needed.
We had 2 days and nights of rain,pouring down so we got soaked. But in the room you adjust your own heating/air con so we had no probs drying the clothes and shoes. The fact the room was warm to come back to made this sooo welcoming.
The room and bathroom were clean tidy and all you need. Not much space for clothes but no one we spoke to were stayng longer than 4 days anyway.
The shower was excellent-hot enough for anyone and powerful. Towels were almost new and good quality. There was a bidet, hairdryer and a shaving point.
Shutters at the windows so the room was black enough for afternoon nap.
TV only has CNN news and BBC world and eurosports in english which as we stayed in a lot due to the rain was frustrating, but hopefully you will get good weather and TV will be enough for what you need.
If I was going to Venice again I wouldn't concider any other hotel. In case I was disappointed, as I'm sure many people will be with some of the hotels we saw. We saw people near St Marks square trying to find hotels, dragging cases in the rain through the crowds (yes crowds, even though there was rain) and felt sorry for them.
We got a real good deal with Travel Zoo. £200 mon to Fri B&B incl easy jet flights.
You have your breakfast in the resturant next door. The food is all one colour, beige! Bread, croissants, cornflakes,toast, biscuits, tea. I tell a lie, co-co pops were brown.Nice enough though and clean but just got boring. No good if you there longer than a few days.
Because of the value of the Euro/Pound we knew it wouldn't be cheap but it was even more expensive than we expected. For this reason I wont go to Venice again.
Four days is too long. There's so much walking and nothing to do indoors.
When you get off the plane, go to Tourist Info desk in the airport, buy single way ticket for bus No 5 (E2.50) which you catch just through the glass doors. there is a sign. not just visitors with suitcases catch it, its also caters for none tourists.
Hope this is helpful

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
england
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

At first I would've rated this hotel as ok, not that I ever write reviews. I am writing this only to save others the awful shock we got at this hotel. The main reason I'm writing this is that on the 3rd day out of four I went to look for our passports to find they weren't in the very safe, hidden away place I knew it to be in. After panicking a fair bit and going through all our stuff several times, I made phone calls back to England and my friends tried to help us by finding out how we should proceed without passports. Eventually I advised the hotel staff that our passports had been stolen. They gestured towards their pigeon holes behind the desk and nodded. After asking why they had them and who had taken them they gave me no answers. I had no idea when someone had gone into the room and taken them - whowever had done it would have had to go through my bags thoroughly and open zips etc to find them. I was offered no explanation or apology. Furthermore, the pigeonholes were on view and accessible to all who entered the unlocked hotel door and the desk was often unstaffed so anyone could take the passports etcetera.

Good points??, this hotel provides a cooler , if cramped, room in really hot weather and it is not too far from the water bus. You can also get a really bad breakfast in with the price- everything tasted of cardboard, including the dryer than dry croissants. There is fruit salad available- if you like it fresh from the tin.
Most of the staff were unfriendly- our Italian is poor but they had little comprehension of English, something I didn't notice until I asked them to tell my why my passports had been taken without my permission or knowledge. This was the worst hotel experience I have ever had and I've had some bad experiences in the past, but never to the degree where I felt the responsibility to tell others.

• Liked — air conditioning
  • Disliked — shocking invasion of privacy and threats to identity security
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Tintoretto for 3 nights in July 2008. I had read reviews on this site before booking and was a little aprehensive. However, I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by a very polite gentleman who directed us to our room. The room was clean and adequately furnished, the air conditioning was controlled from inside the room to enable us to adjust the temperature for our personal comfort. The bathroom was clean and quite large and there was plenty of hot water and clean towels.
Breakfast was served between 7.30 and 9.30 in the restaurant just in front of the hotel and consisted of buffet. It included tea, coffee, orange and grapefruit juice; a variety of cereals, pastries, rolls and a range of jams and spreads.
The location was excellent for exploring Venice and very close to local shops.

• Liked — air conditioning and comfort
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2008

We arrived at the hotel mid afternoon and were engulfed by a stink as soon as we entered the front door. The reception room was cramped, drity and smelly and it got worse as we carried on up the stairs (bringing all of our luggage with us- no help from the staff). The room was disgusting. The floor was lino and there were only three beds. (We were a family of 5). We were then informed that two of us would be sleeping in a different building across the road, suprising seeing as we had booked and paid for a 'family bedroom'.

In the second bedroom (which was in fact a two minute walk down the street, down a dingy alley) there was only one window, and so to try and stop the stink we opened it, only to be greeted by scaffolding and rowdy italian builders. The sheets in both bedrooms were scratchy and uncomfortable, and when I flushed the toilet in bedroom 1, the flush fell off in my hand.

The breakfast was fine- if you like biscuits, cold instant coffee and orange juice that tastes more like wee.

The day we spent in Venice was almost ruined because all the while we were dreading returning back to that 'hotel' . If you can call it that.
I have stayed in much nicer youth hostels, for much cheaper prices.

Overall- do not go to this hotel unless you honestly don't mind paying good money to stay in a hovel.

• Liked — The location was quite good.
  • Disliked — Where do I begin...
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Tintoretto? Share your experiences!