“A great 4 nights at Hotel Saturnia in May 2013” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Saturnia & International

You added Hotel Saturnia & International to your Saves list
Hotel Saturnia & International
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Larga Via XXII Marzo 2398 | St. Marks', 30124 Venice, Italy (San Marco)   |
Ranked #35 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Preston, United Kingdom
“A great 4 nights at Hotel Saturnia in May 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is a great hotel with great staff, very friendly and helpful.
The Saturnia is in a great location, and within a few minutes walk of the major sites of Venice such as St. Marks's Square, Doges Palace, Basilica, Bell Tower and of course the gondolas!
A group of 10 visited Hotel Saturnia in May 2013. We visited the Saturnia & Venice as a small business group, yet had time to take in the wonders of this magic city!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the canal, we had a Juliet balcony on the first floor, and watched gondolas nav...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

My son & I stayed here for 3 nights. We had a great experience with the hotel staff. On the last night we wanted dessert before we went to bed. It was around 8:45pm, so I guess it was prime time for dinner. We came in and asked for a table and at first they didn't want to seat us until I said we were hotel guests. At that point we were seated, but then the waiter (Claudio) came over and took our order. He was going to take away our linen napkins until I asked why we couldn't have napkins. He made us feel un-welcome and never came back until my son finally went to the room and I called him over twice to get the check. At that point he said "we will charge it to your room". I asked for my copy of the check and he seemed put out that we had to provide this. I'm not sure why I left a tip ... my manners kept me from being rude. So my recommendation is enjoy the hotel! It is centralized & the staff is very friendly! Skip the restaurant!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
serandrei, Proprietario at Hotel Saturnia & International, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Madam,

read your review and immediately investigate with the restaurant manager to understand what really happened that night in our restaurant.

The restaurant was full, we had only two tables left when you arrived, but we were waiting for some guests coming.

The maitre should have told you there was no way to serve you that night, but when he understood you were hotel guests he absolutely wanted to welcome you
and satisfy your request to have a table for a dessert.

So if you felt unwelcome I am sorry, but this is a real mistake, 'cause we made our best to let you take a seat that night.

The maitre Claudio cleared up your table from unecessary stuff ( table was arranged for a complete dinner with glasses, cutleries etc... ) but of course it was not his intention to let you have your dessert with no napkins. These should have been taken back with your desserts of course... let me tell you we never left a guest with no napkin in 50 years history : )

Regarding your bill, as that was a very busy night the intention of the maitre - probably because busy with some other guests - was to print your bill later in the evening and let the front desk of the Hotel have a copy to charge it on your room bill. I am sure you had your copy the morning after, upon check out.

Thanks anyway for the wonderful review on the Hotel staff !
We hope to welcome you soon again at the Saturnia ... Claudio would be pleased to offer you a drink to be forgiven : )

Thanks
Greta - Zoe Serandrei
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

The hotel is exceptionally well located and the concierge, Andrea was charming and especially helpful. However, we found the room to be small and somewhat difficult to maneuver in. Additionally, although wifi was supposed to be throughout the hotel, we were unable to connect in our room. Generally, an average hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

First a note: Hotels in Italy will be relatively small, have no irons or coffee makers in the room, and will have small or less comfortable beds than in USA or UK. And the people working at the hotels will not necessarily embrace you with warmth and smiles as you would expect in most American chains. So, you need to know this before booking at ANY hotel in Italy. Cultural differences are not bad or goid. Just different.

Now for Saturnia.

Saturnia

The Good:
Easy checking in and room available at 1pm
Private dock was nice and convenient
Room 93 modernish with very nice bathroom with separate shower
Relatively quiet and close to activity but somehow avoids a lot of noise from tourist
Wifi worked well in room and lobby
Nice Venezuan decor with old old furniture in the living room.
Breakfast options pretty good and nuce to have breakfast outside
Ok staff (not friendly exactly, but abailable and helpful)

The Bad
- bed barely comfortable
- like everywhere in Venice central, TOO MANY TOURISTS. It seemed that everyone from Japan and every cruise ship chose our hotel until I realised that was likely the case at several hotels.
- people at front desk were acceptably polite if not exactly friendly. They didnt make eye contact ever and always seemed a bit annoued to be disturbed. But they were helpful when needed.
- breakfast staff rude
- little to do in the actual hotel

Overall, I personally would not stay here again but I WOULD recommend it to others, deoending on budget and personal preferences. Yoi will have a nice stay here with a great location.

I would, however, recommend targeting 5 star in Venice. Your hotel matters more here than other parts of Venice as you will grow weary of the tourists and the fleecing. I would have liked to have spa options, a fitness center, or something other than a bedroom in the hotel.

Side note: I did not like being handed a tripadvisor card by the front desk guy as I was leaving. It was only after I said something positive and kind of read like a bribe. I imagine if I were unhappy they would clearly not have given me the card. Risk to TripAdvisor credibility if all businesses start to game the system.

Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We had a nice 2-night stay at this Hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There was one front-desk man( I wish I could remember his name), that worked during the day was extremely helpful with directions and information. We felt comfortably asking him anything we needed to.
We loved their breakfast especially with real "bacon" and a wonderful pot of your own rich dark hot chocolate. They had a wonderful selection of food and lots of it.
Our children stayed in one room and my husband and I stayed in another room with our baby. I loved the rooms because they weren't the typical "hotel" room. It felt as if you were actually staying at someone's home. We loved common area with it's homey feeling and neat staircase. Our room faced a canal so it was fun to hearing the singing as the gondolas went by our window.
The hotel was in a great location just down from St. Mark's Square and all the other sights in Venice. I would definitely recommend this hotel. We had a great stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This property is located centrally and convenient to many of the sights in Venice. The staff is knowledgeable, professional, and quite helpful. The restaurant on site is nice and again the service there was incredible. Wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My husband and I were fortunate to stay for 2 days in Venice, Italy at the Hotel Saturnia and it was a wonderful experience. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The food provided at Breakfast was abundant, delicious and the coffee was superb. We started our vacation here and it set the tone for our cruise. The hotel is in a good location, with shops and restaurants near by. The walk to St. Marks Square was only a few minutes away. In addition, we were offered a complimentary water taxi to Morano Island to see the glass makers and we also purchased two beautiful pieces of glass art which they shipped to our home. A big thank you to Princess Cruise Lines for selecting this hotel for us!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Saturnia & International? Share your experiences!