“A slice of heaven in Venice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Saturnia & International

You added Hotel Saturnia & International to your Saves list
Hotel Saturnia & International
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Larga Via XXII Marzo 2398 | St. Marks', 30124 Venice, Italy (San Marco)   |
Ranked #35 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Certificate of Excellence 2014
NorCal
“A slice of heaven in Venice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

My husband and I had the good fortune to have been booked by our travel agent into this perfectly located hotel at the end of a luxurious cruise. We could not have hoped for better service. Andrea Scarpa, the gracious concierge, greated us warmly at 9:15 AM and had us into our spacious, quiet room by 9:45. My brother and sister-in-law were with us but only for the day, having train tickets to leave Venice that evening. Andrea helped arrange for their bags to be stored, made an early dinner reservation for the four of us, and arranged their transportation to the train station, even though they were not actual guests at the hotel.

We had our own angst about needing transportation to get us to the airport on the morning we were leaving With a 7:05 AM flight, Andrea took care of ordering a wake-up call for us at 4:15 AM, a prompt, private water taxi for 4:45 AM, a porter to handle our luggage and even made sure that a bagged breakfast had been packed to keep us nourished on the first leg of our long trip home to the Bay Area.

If I ever am lucky enough to return to Venice, I'll be returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel that overlook the narrow waterway.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
serandrei, Proprietario at Hotel Saturnia & International, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Dear guest,
many thanks for your nice review, we really hope to wellcome you again !!

Best regards
Gianni Serandrei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

This was our second visit to the Hotel Saturnia. The staff made us feel welcome and at home. They were very helpful with directions and ideas of places to go. The room was light and well furnished and the bathroom was fine.
The location is great - in the center of things, but away from all the crowds.
I highly recommend the hotel and can't wait til our next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with light.
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We recently stayed at the Hotel Saturnia where we found a very accommodating staff and lovely rooms. The hotel was ideally located for exploring the city, yet is far enough away from the crowds of St. Mark's Square that one doesn't feel the frenzy. We enjoyed the rooftop terrace during the late afternoon. The Saturnia did arrange for a tour of a Murano glass factory, but I would not advise taking advantage of that. The factory tour was great, but the high pressure salesman that we encountered was rude and condescending, although that was no fault of the hotel. La Caravella Restaurant, attached to the hotel, is expensive, but we found it well worth the price. Both service and food were excellent.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Saturnia for two nights following a cruise. The room was large and well maintained for an older hotel. The staff was very friendly and provided good suggestions for close by restaurants that were less expensive than La Carravalle. Breakfast was good and service was excellent. The front desk arranged both a gondola ride and water taxi to the airport for us.

The location is perfect.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

When I read some of these reviews I feel as if I must have stayed at a totally different hotel! Our 2 nights at the Saturnia were pretty bad. We got one of those rooms that have a small sitting area and bathroom downstairs, and the bed was in a loft upstairs. Our "view" was of a tiny courtyard which looked directly into the windows on the other side of the courtyard. Luckily we only had two small windows and the window shades didn't open on either so we didn't see anybody and nobody saw us. The people at the front desk were tolerant, that's the best I can say. They acted as if we were a necessary evil and I quickly learned to avoid them at all costs. BTW they were all men; we never saw this woman everybody raves about. They did offer us a complimentary excursion to Murano as our room was not ready when we checked in but we had already booked one for the following day so we didn't go. We had just come off a cruise ship and did not have an electricity converter but in our travels we have discovered that most hotels have them. I called the front desk and asked if they did and they said yes I could come get one, and "madam, would you pleeeeze stop pulling the alarm cord". What? I figured I just didn't understand him cuz I had no idea what he was talking about. Come to find out my husband had pulled an alarm cord in the bathroom looking for a way to turn the fan on. (The fan that did not work AT ALL. Oh it made a noise but the minute you turned the shower on all the mirrors fogged up and stayed that way till you opened the door.) My husband picked up the converter from the front desk, brought it up and tried to make it work. He got a nasty shock from it, couldn't get it to work and asked if they had another. They said it was all they had and we went out and bought our own. The shower was almost unusable. There was no way to set the water temperature which went in short intervals from cold to super-hot. So I took a cold-ish shower, having to literally step out of the shower each time the hot cycle came around. It was ridiculous. The bed was hard and so were the pillows. The lighting up in that loft was not enough to read a book. The couch in the sitting room was so delapidated you could hardly sit in it. And the zipper on one of the cushion covers was broken so the cover would slip off making it even harder to sit. We went up to the roof looking for the drinks and snacks other people have talked about but all that was up there were sun lounges. It was a nice little area but no evidence of drinks or snacks. Maybe it's a seasonal thing, although we were there in September, it was still good and hot and the tourist season supposedly goes thru the end of October, but whatever. There was no breakfast in the outdoor restaurant either; inside only, and the breakfast was not remarkable. There are only two good things I have to say about Saturnia; the location is great and they offer free wi-fi. I'm sure I can find these two things AND a decent bed and shower somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear guest, I'm so sorry you didn't feel well in our property ; the room you were assigned is overlooking an inside courtyard, if asked for sure we'd have been pleased to show you another one overlooking the front, the garden or the small canal on the back !
Regarding the staff at the front desk is very strange what you are saying our property is family runned, we wellcome guests from all over the world since 1908 and our courtesy is often a reason to come back for our repeat guests : in spite of this I talked about your review with our
concierge and reception manager, the guests' satisfaction is our first goal .
For drinks/snacks on our solarium/terrace there's a phone there to call the bar service downstairs, while talking about breakfast we serve it in the garden when temperature is fine ...
I really hope, should you visit venice again, you'll give us a second chance .
Best regards
Gianni Serandrei
Yarm, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

We always stay at The Saturnia when we come to Venice. This time was different as my partner is now confind to a wheelchair. The room was spacious and had plenty of room to get around,especially in the bath/shower room(walk-in shower no lip). Also the staff were fantastic,special praise to the porters who help us over bridge to allow us to get to the waterbus. Fantastic breakfast even better resturant.

White Lake, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

My husband and I just spent 2 nights here in mid-September and were very, very pleased. The location was perfect to explore all of Venice and the front desk staff was very helpful. they coordinated a trip to Murano island and a gondola ride for us and the breakfasts that were included with our room stay were very good. The room was large and the entire hotel was unique and interesting. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Venice.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Saturnia & International? Share your experiences!