“A Very Pleasant Surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel La Fenice et des Artistes
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   San Marco 1936, 30124 Venice, Italy   |
Ranked #219 of 383 Hotels in Venice
Oregon
“A Very Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I actually booked this hotel using airline miles. In my experience that is very "hit-n-miss". But I kept in contact with the hotel prior to my visit, requested a top floor room to avoid noise, and was rewarded with my favorite room of my trip!
If you get a top floor room be aware you WILL negotiate steps. In fact to get to the first floor (second in American thoughts) you have to walk up stairs. Then that elevator will take you up a couple flights but not all the way to the top. You will be glad the staircases don't move!!
But for me, it was a wonderful adventure. When I reached my single bed room, I discovered I have my own private terrace!! (As far as I could tell, only two rooms have that. And I'm not sure if the other room is a single bed or not.)
Also the staff was terrific. I am constantly trying to improve my Italian. One staff member took it upon himself to try to teach me some words in Venexian and another, Christina, only spoke with me in Italian!! Yay!
The breakfast room is lovely and clean but I always took my food back up to the terrace to eat!
I wish I'd chosen to stay here longer. Location is also great!

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The hotel itself is nothing special. It is clean and the help from the reception was good. Overall the standard of the hotel is average. But the location is great. It is close to most things (which is helpful as the main means for getting around is your feet). Breakfast was included. But apart from this, there is no restaurant available in the hotel. There is a small bar apparently but staffed with the same person as reception - not sure what they served.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The location was great, very near to Piazza San Marco, and a few steps from shopping and dining. The hotel itself was very nice, Excellent helpful staff especially the reception who went out of their way to book transportation for us and even walked us to the water taxi stop. Rooms are nice and the sitting places next to the restaurant had some beautiful paintings. Breakfast was adequate. The restaurant next door was excellent.

Room Tip: Try not to book single rooms as they are very small.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I did not expect much from a Venice hotel . Usually the prices are high and the rooms very small. Not in this case. The location is great, not too far from known attractions. The personnel was friendly. I wouldn't trust their trip advices, because most of them are not living in Venice. Trust a good printed guide , if you have one. Our room was clean , but probably one of the few that were not renovated. I took it because there was no gutter smell. there was some on the hallway, but not in our room and bathroom. You must be aware of this problem in Venice. Everywhere there is a unpleasant gutter smell. The bathroom was clean, but the water has no pressure( another known issue in Venice). To my surprise there was a second room with one bed and TV, separated by a small hallway from ours. Good to know if you have a kid with you. Our windows were facing the opera artists entrance ( the hotel is in the vicinity of the Venice Opera House) , so we heard the artists rehearsing . That was nice! Because the room was at the end of the hallway (room 210), there was no noise at all. Very quiet, great sleep. The heaters were warm enough( we were visiting in March - 1-8 Celsius). The breakfast was included. The offer was poor enough - 2 kinds of Yogourt - plain or sweet. A few kinds of coffee and tea. Turkey or pork ham and some cheese. The usual "Hero" jelly : strawberries, honey, peach. 2 kinds of bran, 2 kinds of "chemical" juice - orange or pineapple. 2 kinds of croissant. Toast. And that's that. They were offering to cook you some eggs - 2 Euros an egg!!!!!. So don't have high expectations about breakfast. the elevator starts at ..2nd floor. So you have to use the stairs. Not a problem if you're young and do not have a baby carriage with you! But if you do.... In our opinion it was a good stay at this hotel, I would come back anytime if it's not hot weather.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
london SW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Booked a flight and hotel combo with British Airways as it was cheaper than booking a flight only!! The double room was fine, which came with the booking, but as I was travelling with a friend I booked a single as I didn't want to share.

I was charged 90euros a night for a tiny smoke smelling room, which when I opened the window looked onto a generator which was quite noisy at times. Luckily it was so cold I didn't need to open the window, but pity anyone staying in warmer weather as the air con didn't seem to work, and it got very stuffy in there. The breakfast buffet was what can only be described as adequate. Processed ham and cheese being the highlight.

On the plus side, it is centrally located. Can't think of any other positives.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the front. Don't take a single room if you can help it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Traveling to Venice in february was for us a great way to avoid the summer crowds. I found a great deal on the hotel website and it was really worth what we paid. We are french, traveling with a young boy. Staff spoke perfect french, were honest and super helpful at all times. We liked our room which was basic but nice,clean and functional. Breakfast is also basic but nicely done. The location is splendid if you are willing to stay in the San Marco area. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Venice which is, remember, an expensive destination anyhow.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

For a centrally located hotel with a quirky flair and a very helpful staff, you'd do well to consider Hotel La Fenice et des Artistes. I stayed here for five nights during Carnevale in February of 2013 with a small group of family/friends and every night, I was delighted to return to the warmth and comfort of Hotel La Fenice. One of our group has been coming here for years and I'm so glad that he shared this gem of a hotel with us.
The art collection adorning the walls will give you an amused chuckle -- every square inch of space seems occupied with some intriguing work (of varying quality) and the doors are all emblazoned with images of famous art (on the third floor, it was Klimt's The Kiss). Our room was compact but perfectly serviceable -- the same goes for the bathroom. The furniture was not new but impeccably clean and the beds were nice and firm. No problems whatsoever with the heat. We stayed in a twin room and had a charming terrace with a canal view which allowed us to entertain our small party and additional friends in Venice. There is an elevator (tiny, but that's par for the course in Italy) so no worries about hauling bags up stairs. The breakfast was delicious and even though they don't have room service (there is a hotel restaurant attached for those who do not wish to go far for their meals), the staff helped me find some biscuits for late-night snacking for my hungry godson. The hotel itself is located on a quiet square, but it's incredibly close to much of what you wish to see. For anyone who says this hotel is hard to locate, I wish them well in navigating any part of Venice as they are likely to have a rough time of it if they thought THIS was difficult! If you are headed to La Fenice for the opera (highly recommended) in cold weather, garbed in masks, fancy dress, and flimsy capes, then you'll be delighted to have only a quick minute from hotel door to opera house.
Above all, I cannot say enough nice things about the staff. They made it easy for me to ship a mask to the hotel prior to my arrival so I'd have something ready to go for the festivities. They were incredibly helpful with giving restaurant recommendations, providing clear directions, making reservations (and often calling to push back on reservations when we ran late), checking on opening hours for certain erratically available attractions, submitting to be interviewed by by godson for a class project, and even making sure to secure us a handsome gondolier for the Silent Water Parade. We experienced some out-of-season acqua alta while in Venice and our hotel staff actually called our restaurant with a request to the restaurant staff to let us exit the restaurant via the kitchen, as the back entrance would allow for a dry path back before the water got too high! Could you possibly ask for more? I think not.
PS If you see her, be sure to say hi to Margo, the owner's slightly skittish dog who must oversee everything and clearly adores her owner.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel La Fenice et des Artistes? Share your experiences!