“Great base to explore Venice” 5 of 5 stars

Ca dei Polo
Santa Croce 203, 30135 Venice, Italy (San Croce)   |
Ranked #26 of 433 Venice B&B and Inns
Annapolis, MD
“Great base to explore Venice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I pick lodgings based upon reviews from various websites, and their proximity to transportation and the places I need to go. This small hotel/B&B is very convenient to the Venice train station, bus station, and the Grand Canal water taxis. I literally walked ten minutes after my arrival by train to the hotel, and five minutes to the bus station to catch the airport bus on the way out of town. Watching others schlep their luggage over the cobbled streets throughout Venice confirmed that CdP is the place for home base. Breakfast selection was OK (I was spoiled in Austria just prior to my arrival,) but the coffee was great! WiFi was free as it should be, but a little slow for those who stream. There were over 100 channels of TV, but most, if not all in Italian - it would be nice to have a BBC/CNN news channel. Italian TV plays lots of first rate movies - dubbed if not already in Italian - but fun to watch anyway. There was even some live American football, with color commentary in Italian - very fun to listen to! The bed was comfortable, and the small bathroom was modern with plenty of hot water for the shower. And the hosts were very nice - when you saw them. If you are out all day, and return after 1700 or so, don't expect to see anyone at the front desk. Yea, so if you are looking for a luxurious, pampering hotel experience, this is not the place, but for everything else, you cannot beat it.

Room Tip: I stayed in a single room on the 2nd floor. Twin/Single bed. Window overlooked the garden. Perfec...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

really fine place, excellent host and good value for your money.
breakfast more than OK for Italian standards, with fresh fruit and toast.
perfect location, conveniently located close to train and bus station.
accommodation is suitable for all kinds of customers

Room Tip: rooms in the back are quieter
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Oostduinkerke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We went to Venice only one night, to celebrate New Years Eve, and it was my best yet. Great atmosphere, great music and great fireworks at the San Marco Square.
But not only the festivities were great. Our stay at Ca dei Polo was excellent as well.
We arrived very early, were very well and warm received, and luckily we were able to check in the room immediatly. A very nice, big room with view on the canal. In the evening we could hear the television in the neighbouring room (speech from the italian president?), but at night no problems with street noise. Great beds. Perfect location: very close to the trains station.
Breakfast in Italy has never been my cup of thee, but here, at ca dei Polo, breakfast was far better than average. In general: we had a wonderfull time here, and would advise it to everybody.

Room Tip: we had no problems with street noise, although we were at the front side (2nd floor) of the hotel.
Palatine, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I wish I had stayed another day - that is how much I liked this place. We stayed there over Christmas and were there on Christmas day and I had emailed Francesca earlier about places to eat and received information even before we got there. Front desk staff (Francesca's brother - I forget his name, I am sorry!) was very gracious and helpful with directions and ideas for restaurants etc. Very comfortable rooms and they were very tastefully done. The breakfast room was beautiful and the breakfast and staff were also very pleasant and seemed genuinely interested in making sure our stay was comfortable. Very convenient location to the train station. I wish there was a bigger sign because I walked by it four times before finding it! :)

I would absolutely recommend this place and if I go back to Venice, will seek this place out and stay there.

Orange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife and I arrived in Venice about 7 hours late, due to flight delays and re-routes. Thankfully it was extremely convenient to find the Ca dei Polo after we arrived in town. It is about a 5 minute walk from the bus station. Francesca was there to greet us upon arrival and helped us settle in to our beautiful room which had a canal view. Francesca also recommended an excellent gluten-free friendly restaurant nearby for our dinner that night (we were hungry!).

The room was gorgeous, spacious, and quiet, with a nice bathroom and hot shower. Breakfast was in a nice room with lots of a variety of standard breakfast options (basically breads, jams, yogurt, cereal, etc).

The hotel is in a great location very close to both the bus and train stations. The vaporetti stop on the Grand Canal is also about 5 mins away; all the major sites are within a half hour walk too.

We enjoyed our stay here and highly recommend it to others.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights, booked directly to their website. I browsed around and noticed that you can get 8% discount by using code “offsite”. No extra discount for cash payment but if you chose the non refundable option, you can get more discount. Overall the stay was good. For the same price you can actually get a room nearer to San Marco but since I arrived at night alone, I was looking for a comfortable place that’s easy to find.

PRO:
- Location near train station & water bus stop. Although a lot of people complained it’s difficult to find, for me it’s actually quite easy because I researched before and know that their small sign is only at the side of their door but not on the top. When walking around Venice the next day in daylight, I saw a lot of tourists got lost with big luggages. I feel relieved I opted for a hotel that’s easy to find even at night. It would’ve been a nightmare to be alone at dark trying to find address in Venice’s maze.
- Room is clean & serviced daily. Size is okay, high ceiling, decorated with Murano chandelier. Got heater for winter. There’s a TV (mostly Italian channels), hair dryer, room safe, mini fridge. No tea or water boiler in room though.
- Got elevator, so you don’t have to climb through stairs. At the very top there’s a sun deck to get some canal view.
- Basic breakfast included.
- Good free wifi connection, although not fast enough to stream youtube (delay here and there).

CONS:
- Air con is available but they only gave you the remote certain times of the year. I understand winter they will not give the remote, but what I’m not sure of is whether they consider spring/autumn as hot/cold.
- Limited receptionist time. So you might want to take note of their emergency number and ensure your phone is charged just in case you got locked outside or something.
- Bad sound proofing. I can hear my neighbors talking, and also noises from the hall way. At least my room faces the courtyard so not much noise from outside.

If you find my review helpful, pls click that helpful vote, thanks!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Ca' dei Polo was recommended to me by a friend who has stayed in Venice many times. Despite her rave reviews, I was still happily surprised by the hotel. The hotel is extremely convenient to the bus and train station, making it very convenient to get in and out of town, but sacrificed absolutely nothing in terms of location. The neighborhood of Santa Croce, like most of Venice, is absolutely charming, and though we usually walked to other sites (including San Marco via the Rialto Bridge), the ACTV stops right at both Piazzole Roma and the train station.

The room we stayed in was both large and charming, with a separate sitting area. Our host Francesca was gracious and helpful, whether it came to restaurant recommendations or helping us buy tickets to music performances.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would definitely recommend staying there.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ca dei Polo? Share your experiences!