“I don't often say this: Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Gritti Palace

Save Saved
You added The Gritti Palace to your Saves list
The Gritti Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Campo Santa Maria del Giglio 2467, 30124 Venice, Italy (San Marco)   |
Offers & Announcements
Luxury Romance
Ranked #3 of 382 hotels in Venice
San Francisco, California
“I don't often say this: Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We ended a 3-week trip to Italy with a few days at the Gritti Palace. Words can't describe how great an experience this hotel is. Its a bit pricey for sure, but worth the splurge. You'll never forget it. We've been to the Cipriani and the Danieli before and the Gritti Palace tops them by a country mile in my view. You're in the middle of Venice, but not quite in the midst of all the crowds. The bar right on the Grand Canal, across from a grand church, is incredible. I never wanted to leave! The staff were super attentive and responsive, which is not the most common thing in Italy. The rooms are the highlight, however. They are so well appointed and so comfortable that our kids begged to stay IN one night and order room service. Arriving at the hotel by water taxi at night was something out of a fantasy, and our departure from the hotel was probably the saddest moment on our trip. If you're considering any of the "grand dames" of Venetian hotels, its an easy choice.

Room Tip: Lower floors have higher ceilings if that means a lot to you.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
ExecOffice-HtlGritti, General Manager at The Gritti Palace, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time in reviewing The Gritti Palace on TripAdvisor and particularly for your assertion of perfection!

Of the countless hotels to choose from in Venice, we are delighted to read that you have chosen The Gritti Palace as your favorite one!

We are very happy to read that your kids begged to indulge in the rooms on one evening and order room service. This is the evidence that the Gritti is hospitable to everyone, regardless of the age.

We look forward to your return visit, to further pamper your family and you.

247 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Greek first
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Firstly, let me say we were thoroughly impressed with the Gritti and try as I may, I really cannot fault it nor do I really want to!). This weekend was to celebrate my husband's birthday as a surprise. He is a man of few words but even he said it was "awesome!"
We treated ourselves to the water taxi service form the airport and it was lovely to arrive in style. We stood at the back of the taxi observing everything and thoroughly enjoying this special method of arrival. Landing, our bags were swept away and we were warmly greeted and shown to reception (not your usual reception). We had room 206 which was beautiful and overlooked a side canal leading into the Grand Canal. Incidentally I spent some time just watching the gondolas passing through and was pleasantly surprised when the gondoliers looked up and smiled or called a greeting. Bellissimo. The sound of their singing entered our room which was lovely (I know, it's touristy! but it worked for me!).
The room was large, beautiful fabrics/linen etc. Venetian in aspect. It was spotless and well decorated. The bathroom was superb; good quality toiletries (Acqua de Parma), big soft towels, lots of lovely marble, monsoon shower and normal shower, bath, robes etc etc. We had a bottle of good red and chocolates to welcome us (we had booked a BA deal). On my husbands birthday they left a bottle of Ca' delBosco awaiting our arrival back in the late afternoon, all well chilled with glasses just waiting to be filled THANK YOU!! We loved this .
Breakfast was included in our room rate and was very good. Fresh fruit, salmon, herrings, eggs anyway you want,, breads, yoghurt. All wonderful. Staff were all very friendly and professional . Eating out on the terrace was just perfect.
All in all just wonderful - have I said this already? Staff were all friendly, professional and the attention to detail is as you would expect with a "luxury collection" hotel.
I would love to return!

Room Tip: We had a Venetian room, 206 and were very happy with this. I would have loved to have seen a suite b...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
ExecOffice-HtlGritti, General Manager at The Gritti Palace, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having selected The Gritti Palace to celebrate your husband’s birthday, we are most pleased to learn that your week-end was truly “awesome”!

We appreciate your feedback, especially the fact that the personal touches of our staff played an instrumental role in you having such a wonderful sojourn.

We welcome the opportunity to have you stay with us again, whether or not for a special celebration!

jonesboro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This intimate hotel is so well appointed you will feel you are in another time, but with modern comforts. The staff is perfect, everyone remembers your name, and is on call to be there to assist with any matter. We were in a jaw dropping suite, The Coppa Suite. Our favorite spot was the bar area on water level of the lagoon. Sipping wine and soaking up this fantastic (but crowded) town!! We only ate breakfast and one lunch on property. No rave reviews on lunch, but the breakfast is well done!! I will come back to Venice and to The Gritti!

Room Tip: Don't worry about being on the canal. You will get plenty of chances to see the water. Our ter...
Cabin John MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This intimate, sumptuous hotel is perfect. Unlike many hotels with a priceless view, the food is divine. The pasta spinosini may have been the best pasta I ever tasted in my entire life, and I am of Italian descent. Staff is helpful and friendly, not the least bit haughty. The concierge set me up with an artist for a morning tour at very short notice. The only possible negative was our shower floor: a solid sheet of slippery marble. Gorgeous but dangerous spot in a stunning bathroom.

Room Tip: I do not think it matters if you have a Grand Canal view, but if it is important to you, ask for one...
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed in this beautiful old hotel during Venice Biennale. We figured we would be given a terrible room because we were staying during such a busy time and were using Starwood points but we were given an amazing suite that was beautifully decorated. The service was amazing. The bed was very comfortable. They have a beautiful outdoor eating area. This is a very special place to stay.

Dear Guest,

Your kind review of The Gritti Palace is very much appreciated.

We do always strive to meet our guests’ needs to the best and, whenever possible, it is our pleasure to upgrade accommodations if they are entitled to. We are indeed delighted we managed to assign you to a suite in such a busy period, ensuring you a most comfortable and enjoyable stay at our Gritti Palace.

Thank you for your direct evidence!

We look forward to welcome you back for other special moments to savour.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was our first stay at this hotel, and it exceeded our expectations in every respect. From check in to departure everything was perfect. The property is beautifully renovated, and the staff is world class. The housekeeping is impeccable, and the hotel has a great fitness room which I'm sure is not typical in Venice where space is so valuable. We can't wait to return.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your patronage and for your review, we are glad to read that your expectations were exceeded.

We are also grateful for having underlined the availability - to our resident Guests only - of our newly added fitness room, adjacent to the sophisticated Blu Mediterraneo SPA by Acqua di Parma.
Our Guests’ comfort is very important to us, hence the realization, in occasion of the recent restoration works, of this area dedicated to training, relaxation and beauty, the essence of “being well”.

Thank you on behalf of the entire staff -housekeeping particularly- for your appreciation.

We all look forward to welcome you back to your Venetian residence.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I don't write reviews very often. In fact I had to create a profile to write this one. Let me start by saying the Gritti Palace is a beautiful property in a great location on the Grand Canal. The terrace is a great spot to sit and relax and watch the gondolas go by. The service is good, but you would expect that from a Category 7 Starwood property that costs $1500/night or 35,000 Starpoints.

I have been to many Starwood properties and never felt more uncomfortable than I did here. I felt like all of Venice (including this hotel) just wanted me to leave my wallet behind. I am not opposed to spending money, I just want to feel the costs justify it. At $1500/ night, it most definitely was not worth it. I made a "Green Choice" for my two night stay. That means for $1500/night I am opting out of cleaning my room and replacing the towels and changing the linens. They left for me the Green Choice card which offers in exchange for this choice, an option of 500 Starpoints. (Worth about $10). Upon my return home, I am told they don't participate in the program! Really? Then why was I given a card that says otherwise? I was told after 4 phone calls to Starwood that the choice was to have a discount at the restaurant. No, as I recall that was my Starwood Gold Welcome amenity, not my Green Choice option. I realize I am talking about $10 worth of points on a 2 night stay where I spent almost $2000 (including a grossly overprice lunch on the terrace).

Do yourself a favor, spend your money elsewhere in Venice. This hotel definitely doesn't justify the cost.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
ExecOffice-HtlGritti, General Manager at The Gritti Palace, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your honest feedback and we are truly sorry to read of your sentiment towards The Gritti Palace and Venice in general.

We furthermore regret that your bad feeling was enhanced by the Green Choice program, which, associated with the Unicef program created unfulfilled expectations.

As a matter of fact, our Company is very sensitive to Sustainability and to Charity with the consequent implementation of several programs over the years, among which the aforementioned “Green Choice” and Unicef’s “Check-out for Children”.

Nevertheless, not all brands do equally participate to the programs and most unfortunately, the statement of the above programs’ cards is generic and does not fully apply to our hotel. We are sorry for your disappointment.

We invite you to contact the Executive Office (through my PA, please, at liana.quagliotto@starwoodhotels.com) and to let us have your contact details. It will be our pleasure to further address the above and to take personal care of your concerns.

Thank you for taking the time to bring your discomfort to our attention; your comments will not go unheard and we will do our utmost in order to clarify the different programs in place in order to avoid possible future misunderstandings.

As a valuable SPG guest, it is our hope that, one day, you may consider a return stay to The Gritti Palace!

Paolo Lorenzoni

Been to The Gritti Palace? Share your experiences!