Although some other reviews suggest otherwise, BEWARE: this is one of the worst hotels we've stayed in in Italy and it is without a doubt the worst 4 star hotel we've ever stayed in anywhere. I have traveled to Italy over 30 times and we love the country so much we even got married there so it's not that I don't know or appreciate the "charm" of certain Italian hotel rooms. But this hotel was horrible, and I would advise anyone looking for a romantic getaway hotel to steer clear. The pictures on their website must be years old because I saw nothing in person that approached any of the photos. Perhaps my disappointment was in part because I was paying $500 per night for the room, and if you get a better deal during a less busy period it might be easier to tolerate the negatives of the hotel detailed below. But paying so much, we expected far, far better and we are not hotel snobs in the sense that we routinely stay in 5+ star hotels like Four Seasons and 2 and 3 star pensiones throughout Europe and love aspects of both spectrums. Concordia is certainly NOT a 4 star hotel and at best deserves 3 stars and even that is a stretch. In case you were inclined to think I made this up, have a look at the photos I took for yourself. For example:
Since we were paying much more than their ordinary rate of 250 euros for a standard room and were paying $500, I expected at least a decent room. They first tried to offer us a small, dark, little room that you'd have to squeeze your way into. Prior reviewers have complained about the small rooms. When I made clear this wouldn't do they took us to another, similar dark and depressing room. They only gave us a room that was of decent size - which they claimed was a jr suite though if that was true that really means all their rooms are subpar as it was nothing special - after I'd made clear we were not accepting the first two. I didn't appreciate this as the introduction to the hotel, they should have given us their "better" room straightaway without all the hassle. And I put "better" room in quotes because even it was not worth the cost for the reasons below. There was no reason to complain further because we were told this was the only option in the hotel for that night.
(1) The toilet had not been cleaned and the toilet bowl was stained.
(2) Our sheets had small stains all over them, what appeared to be blood stains. We notified reception and they immediately changed the sheets, but still...also the large bath towel had a large stain on it that looked like it had been washed and tried to be removed without success but instead of retiring it the hotel has opted to continue to use these linens.
(3) Pillows are horrible, too thick and very hard.
(4) No toiletries other than watered down foaming gel, so don't expect conditioner, shampoo, etc and when we used this gel the first day, it was never replenished by housekeeping despite that it was obvious we had used two of the three bottles (you have to since it is obviously watered down) and a horrible waxy, cheap soap
(5) Little black nats and mosquitos that had infiltrated the room. These and the fact that it was so noisy from the square below meant that it was hard to sleep.
The only good thing I can even come up with about the room was the bathroom which was clean, relatively big by Italian standards, and bright. Otherwise, the room was not of a 4 star caliber at all.
(1) Breakfast was practically inedible. Tasted as if you had purchased your food from a kiosk or vending machine. The croissants were of the kind that come out of a bag, not fresh from a bakery like most decent hotels provide, and the "eggs" did not even appear to be made of real eggs but instead of some kind of mix. They were awful. I asked for a hard boiled egg but of course, that was an extra charge. The orange "juice" was a watered down sugary beverage that bore no resemblace to juice of any kind. Bottom line: the picture of breakfast on the website that is so neatly laid out and looks so pretty must have come from a different hotel! It bore no resemblance to the breakfast offered
(2) Overselling the "special tours" of Murano and the boat excursions. We had read from other reviews this was the case, so we steered clear. But other reviewers were definitely correct that they really hard sell these tours. Every time we walked past the lobby it was "did my colleague mention to you the special boat tour?" One can only imagine it is because the hotel is taking a commission.
(3) Service was quite poor, mostly because of the foreigners they have running the bar and breakfast room. For example, upon our "Welcome drink" (see prior reviews about them using this as an opportunity to hard sell you their tours) I had a glass of cheap prosecco, the only drink available. When I asked for a glass of water (there was a large open bottle of water on the bar as well) the bangaleshi barman told me "Prosecoo or water, you can't have both, welcome drink is for one drink, you must choose between prosecco or water." Are you kidding me? For $1600 for a three night stay this was beyond ridiculous.
(4) The restaurants they recommended we didn't bother to try because (a) trip advisor had horrible things to say about both of them and (b) another couple staying at the hotel told us in the bar that they had tried the recommendation the previous night and it was their worst meal in Italy
(5) My husband had to take a conference call one night so we unfortunately had to eat in at their overpriced restaurant. The food was terrible, we had two salad nicoise and the tuna was straight from the can. Again, the bangaleshi waiter from earlier provided terrible and rushed service.
(1) carpets and walls were worn and marked up - see photos
(2) elevator was ugly and small - see photos - again, not what you'd expect from a 4 star hotel charging over $500 for its rooms. Instead it looked like the elevator from my old run down apartment building in Cairo, Egypt.
At the end when we checked out I was prepared to tell the truth about how our stay was when asked the question "how was your stay?" I would have told them it was far below what we had expected and we were very disappointed. But, tellingly, no one even asked! The check out girl simply presented us with a 54 euro bill for 2 waters and the inedible dinner and ran our card without a single question about how we liked the hotel. It is pretty standard for even the crappiest of hotels to inquire about your stay but here they did not. I guess that is because they must have heard these complaints before.
Although some reviewers have commented that it's a great location the truth is it's a great location IF you like to find yourself surrounded by tourists and lame stores selling the most tacky souvenirs and places that have 10 euro tourist menus everywhere. It feels as if it is the location where every single American from the cruise ships must flock to. IF on the other hand you are heading there for a romantic stay or a taste of any part of an authentic Venice, definitely avoid this place like the plague. I can't say enough about how much a waste of our money this was and it was so painful that we were charged $1600 for a 3 night stay in such an overpriced and run down hotel.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Dear Mrs. Rose,
Report response as inappropriate
We received a few days ago your review. I think it's difficult to find a justification with a client who found nothing good at our hotel but it's correct to have exchange opinions even if only written ones. I would have preferred to meet you at the hotel but unfortunately you didn't ask to speak with the manager and my reception office didn't tell me there were problems to solve. So we have lost the possibility to meet and to allow me to apologize to you and to find a solution to render your stay a better one. This hotel has been owned by the same family for more than 80 years (they have already reached the fourth generation) and one of the prerogatives of the management of the hotel has always been to try to give the best possible service to the clients. This is what the property has always teached to the staff. We recognize that things can sometimes go wrong but it's always more useful to compare ourselves with the clients to solve eventual problems. The most important thing for us is the satisfaction of our clients. Believe me ! We don't care so much about money or occupancy. Our clients' stay must be as comfortable as possible: this helps you to get more clients who have to feel like at home. Consider that we have a staff of 45 people for 53 rooms and this makes you understand how important is the quality of the service for our property and management. After this preamble, we try to think through your review. We have probably understood which was your reservation and which room was assigned you. Could be you were a little bit biased towards the hotel since the beginning having spent a high amount for your stay with consequent high expectations but, as you travel a lot, you will surely know that Venice is one of the most expensive towns in the world, especially in the month of September that represents for the hotels the peak of the season. The receptionists told me they showed you 2/3 rooms (and you confirm this in your review) before finding the one that satisfied you and this is a room classified as a junior suite which rack rate would be even higher than that one debited to you.
We are sorry you didn't like it because it has a good size, it was restored just a few years ago, it has a large bathroom with jacuzzi bathtub.
As regards the way you were welcomed on arrival, please believe that the receptionists didn't want absolutely to have a hassle with you. It may happen that a room we have thought to assign for a reservation doesn't meet the client's approval and, if possible, we show some alternatives. I wrote you above it's important to find at the end a satisfactory accommodation for our clients.
As regards the size of our rooms you found too small, please consider that our building is of the second half of the XVII century. In these old buildings spaces are not so big.
As regards the problems you found, we thank you for your suggestions because this helps us to improve:
- The stain you found on the toilet bowl was due to the scale , even if it was clean. We anyway changed it now.
- As many other hotels in Venice do, we hire our sheets and we promptly informed the industrial laundness furnishing them to assure the quality of the items.
- In our quality programms the improvement of our hotel amenities was already foreseen. Your precious suggestion has speeded this process and we think to have now adequate hotel amenities.
- We have recently enriched our breakfast and now there are so many things to eat and to drink and we are receiving many compliments from all our clients. I'm sorry you didn't like anything at all; we shall keep under control the quality of each product to avoid future complaints like yours.
- We shall reproach our waiter for having refused you a simple glass of water as this is unacceptable. Differently from the majority of hotels, we offer a welcome drink to all clients arriving at our hotel every day. The management gives to the staff of the restaurant and of the bar a wide choice of drinks to be offered and it's stupid to deny a glass of water.
- As regards the dinner service the waiter cooked a pasta for you very late in the evening with willingness and absolutely no problem at all. We are sure you got a wrong impression of his behaviour as he is always extremely kind with the clients as proved by many other clients' reviews. We are sorry you underline he was a Bangladeshi waiter. Nowadays the staff is multi-ethnic all over the world and, indipendently of the nationality, you find professional and good persons or not everywhere, not only in Venice.
This guy has been working with us for many years and the service he has been offering has been always much appreciated.
- Finally the noisy position (please note that there is double glass at the the windows of our rooms). We are close to St. Mark's Basilica, to the finest shops, to the theaters, to many restaurants etc. It's logical that this is a crowded area: you are in the centre of Venice !! Allow me to say we cannot be responsible for the quality level of stores and restaurants around the hotel. I think you'll find this problem in all major towns in the world.
To end my reply, I know it will be difficult you trust us once again but, as you travel a lot, I would like you to give us another possibility next time you visit Venice. I would accommodate you in one of our nicest rooms, offering you special conditions to make you change your mind on our hotel and on our services and show you that we work to make our clients become repeat guests and not certainly to loose them. With my best regards
The general manager
Hotel Concordia, Venice
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.