“Great Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Hotel Olimpia

You added BEST WESTERN Hotel Olimpia to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Hotel Olimpia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Santa Croce 395 | Piazzale Roma, 30135 Venice, Italy (Dorsoduro / Accademia)   |
Ranked #46 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Calgary, Canada
“Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The location is convenient, close to the bus station (Piazzale Roma), the Vaporetta stop and the train station (10 minute walk). We took a Brazi bus (40 minute, €7) from Treviso Airport and could see our hotel from the bus plaza. Hauling luggage in Venice is difficult – all bridges seem to start and end with stairs. However, this hotel was only one bridge away. At first we thought being so close to the bus station would be unpleasant but it was not noisy, was not a distraction and the canal right out front of the hotel was a plus. Our family had two rooms – delightfully decorated in Venetian style. The rooms were roughly the same size –the adults had a separate couch for sitting and two windows, one which looked over a beautiful, peaceful courtyard in the back, where you can enjoy breakfast in the morning. Cappuccinos and a buffet breakfast in the courtyard is a great way to start the day. The teenager’s room looked out over the canal. The air-conditioning, worked wonderfully – definitely a plus in August when temperatures were over 30 Celsius. The rooms each had a large safe, small refrigerator and wifi worked.well. The area is well-removed from the main, over-crowded tourist area of San Marco, but has plenty of restaurants, shops and quaint streets to wander. The vaporetta ride from the Roma piazza stop takes about 45 minutes on the #1 and 25 minutes on the #2, a lovely way to enjoy the Grand Canal on the way to the tourist sites. A benefit of staying at this end of Venice is you are first on the ferry headed south and have a better chance of getting to sit at the bow.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My wife and I have just spent 2 nights at this hotel celebrating a birthday .The location is perfect if you are arriving via the airport .We asked for an upper level room with a canal view and sure enough we got it .The room was lovely and had everything we needed .A great breakfast included , free Wi-Fi and a small bar .The staff were great and could not have been more helpful , they even put a birthday card and a small present in the room .

We hopefully will return one day.

Stayed January 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

When I realized we need to lug our luggage through Venice to a hotel, I was so thrilled to see how close our hotel was to the buss station about 700m and two little bridges, It was perfect. Staff were wonderful, breakfast was fantastic even the winter weather was mild, loved it! Would without a doubt stay here again, to be honest its the only place I would stay in - next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

We were originally supposed to stay at the Hotel Arlecchino but due to plumbing issues they moved us to the Hotel Olympia which was 20 meters down the street. The hotel was great, very friendly staff the whole time we were there, the room was fine and very comfortable. The hotel was nicely located near the train station and buses, so easy walk to the hotel. Plenty of places to eat round the corner both sit down and take away, especially the take away pizza place.

Nice choice for breakfast aswell, both hot and cold, again the staff were very friendly.

A nice hotel well located for both walking and busing (on water) around the beautiful Venice.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Roanoke, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our stay of two nights 3 days was very nice, we had three rooms. 3rd floor was a suite that slept two adults and two twin beds for two young kids. With slope ceilings that the adults hit their heads a few times... Our room was on the 2nd floor with queen bed with a great view to the canal with the bus traffic drop off view. Our teens had a room across from us three boys with 2 twin beds and a pull down cot, my complaint from my son is it was terrible mattress and preferred to sleep on the floor and got a lot of bites. Not really sure what bit him, but the other two boys were also bit. I would recommend checking the mattresses for bed bugs. The other two rooms were fine and no complaints! It was a pleasant visit with both families and close to two Italian restaurants that were very good. The breakfast buffet was very nice with hot eggs and bacon along with cereals, fruits, danishes & hot coffee, tea served with a smile and excellent service...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed here back in April 2012 and had a pleasant stay.

The location is good (very close to the bus shuttle and train stations if you are arriving this way); and as Venice is so small, pretty much everything is a walkable distance or if you don't feel like walking it is also close to the vaporetti stop.

The staff were all polite and spoke great English. The room was clean and nice. The decor was a bit gaudy for my taste however this is the local style and the room I was given was one of the nicer ones in my opinion. I was able to sleep well (though sound did occassionally bleed through the walls/floor from other rooms). The free wifi was also a bonus because many hotels charge extortionate rates for this. I was given a room on the top floor which was not a problem as they do have a lift (though I am petite and even I found this lift quite claustrophic to stand in). I was cautious about keeping windows closed most of the time due to mosquitos and I think being on the top floor helped me to avoid any bites; whereas my friends who were staying just a 1 min walk away at a different hotel on the ground floor woke up regularly covered in bites. The bathroom was nice but I would say the shower is very, very small so try to request a room with a larger one if possible.

I did not try the breakfast buffet but did order room service breakfast one day, the portion was extremely large for one person and you get a basket of different bread & pastries in addition to your ordered items. The scrambled eggs I got were not what I was expecting; they were completely cooked through egg than the creamy type you get in the UK but again I found this when I went to America also, I think it is a bit of a hit and miss dish when abroad. I was told by the concierge that they don't offer room service in the evenings so this would be a nice addition if they could, but there are plenty of shops and good restaurants nearby so it is not a problem.

I had a great stay overall and would not hesitate to book this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a larger shower. Higher floors might help you avoid mosquito bites.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Hotel Olimpia is located close to Piazzale Roma, the People Mover and Santa Lucia Train Station. In that regard, the location of the hotel is very convenient, and this is specifically why I had booked a couple of nights at this hotel since we were planning a few day trips out of Venice on train, so it would be a time saver being close to the train station. As someone who has been to Venice many times, I had my reservations, though, about the location when I was making this choice. Even though Venice is very small and compact and totally walkable, this is still the edge of the city. And when we moved to our next hotel near San Marco Square we did feel that we were fully immersed in Venice. Having said this, the location of Hotel Olimpia has its merits. There are quite a few less touristy restaurants in the vicinity of this hotel. Also, being located in Santa Croce, the hotel gives easy access to more residential and less touristy parts of Venice.

I should note that it is possible to access the Hotel from Piazzale Roma just crossing one bridge. It is just important to approach from the right part of Piazzale Roma, otherwise more bridges would need to be crossed, and it can be cumbersome with suitcases.

We had a suite in the back part of the hotel, which required that we cross through the charming courtyard and walk into the back building. Their courtyard garden is a rare gem for Venice.

Our suite was on the second floor, and there was no elevator, but they helped us with the luggage and it was not a problem. The suite, though, did not feel quite Venetian in its decor, as I had expected per posted photos. Also, the beds were very hard and uncomfortable. The bathroom was nice-looking, but the placement of the bathtub made it very uncomfortably tight. The suite and bathroom were very clean. When I asked the reception to see if another suite was available they showed me another one that had silk-clad Venetian-style walls and decor, but was even smaller than what we had, so we opted to stay in our original suite. Throughout this request, the reception personnel was very helpful.

At one point we needed help with dry cleaning, and the head of their housecleaning staff was beyond helpful and good-natured about our request. Generally, the customer service was very responsive.

The breakfast at Hotel Olimpia was superb. There was a lot of variety, and it was being consistently replenished. Also, in the evenings they provide a tray with a tea kettle and teas to take to the room, which is great.

Overall, Hotel Olimpia is a reliable hotel and a safe choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel Olimpia? Share your experiences!