“Perfect spot - but dangerous cocktails!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Colazione buffet inclusa
Ranked #76 of 383 Hotels in Venice
Edinburgh
“Perfect spot - but dangerous cocktails!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed at the Metropole over Easter and had a great time, despite the rather inclement weather. A few steps along from the Danielli, it's easy to find if visiting Venice for the first time and just a short stroll from St Mark's square. In a city that's quite easy to get lost in, you could never not find your way back home and don't underestimate the advantages of having an easy to find base in this most beautiful but labyrinthian of cities.

The ambience is eclectic but chic, the rooms full of character and charm and the staff generally go out of their way to be helpful. If I had a little gripe, the sound proofing in the rooms (maybe not all but certainly ours) was not what it could have been but it's an old building and this is not uncommon in this type of hotel. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel, preferring wandering off to find a local cafe and while we were tempted to try 'The Met' restaurant, it seemed extortionately priced for a place that lost it's couple of Michelin stars some years ago. Besides there are so many great places to eat within a few minutes walk of the the place that it seemed pointless - from excellent fine dining (Il Ridotto) to local-friendly seafood (Il Nuovo Galeon) to internationally lauded Italian cuisine (Al Covo). Wander a bit further afield and catch a meal at 'Ristorante Ribot' if you can too - one of the best, truly authentic Venetian restaurants you'll find. We liked it so much we had lunch there twice. But enough of restaurants and onto the cocktails.

The Metropole has a plush and rather decadent little bar that it is all too easy to be drawn into when you return late in the evening. If you do so, beware, because Bruno and the team can whip up some of the most delicious and bewitching drinks you'll ever have tasted. The 'standards' are all there of course but venture onto Bruno's signature list and you can sample some of the best cocktails we've ever tasted, anywhere in the world. They're not cheap at about 15 or 16 Euros a pop (trust me, one is never enough) but compared to what you would be asked to pay for a clumsily poured Bellini in Harry's Bar they represent excellent value. There is artistry and imagination in both the ingredients and the presentation and if you only sample two of them, go for the 'Chocolate Martini' (made by melting two different types of chocolate and perfectly blending with vodka - that aint easy to do) and the sparkling 'Metropoire'.

It's six years since we last visited Venice and it won't be that long till we return. Next time I have no doubt we'll also return to The Metropole - if only to see what else Bruno has come up with in the meantime!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MetropoleVeniceItaly, Proprietario at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear “Dr John”,

Thank you so much for your detailed and accurate comment on Tripadvisor, which I found really useful to improve the quality of our service.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay in Venice and appreciated several aspects of our Metropole Hotel. Unfortunately you did not experienced our Met Restaurant, which is gaining every day more success thanks to the originality of its concept, the Tra’Contemporary cuisine, and the quality of its food and service. Prices are therefore proportioned to these fundamental features: fish comes from our Rialto fish market, vegetables form the nearby and famous S. Erasmo island, and our recipes are strictly Italian, as a tribute to the long and rich gastronomic history of our Country. I do hope you can come again to the Metropole and try our cuisine, I am sure you won’t be disappointed.

As far as Bruno is concerned… he is a real master of cocktails! I will definitely refer you enthusiasm to him! And with the spring approaching, we are preparing new flavors for our aperitifs, so keep ready to taste one at you next time in Venice!

Thank you so much again for your precious comment.

Venice

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

This is one of the nicest hotels. From the moment you walk in the door your senses are delighted with aromas and visually rich fabrics. The lobby and lounge areas are very inviting. We had a junior suite with a wonderful view out to the canal. Breakfast whilst expensive is well worth the money, but eating at the bar was disappointing. Definitely worth a cocktail, just find somewhere else to eat a meal.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear "CatherineA711",

thank you for taking the time to write your comment on Tripadvisor.
I will be more than happy to share it with my staff and to check all the aspects you mentioned.

I wish you to have the chance to come again for a trip to Venice, I would be really glad to meet you personally.

Warm regards.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at the Metropole four nights over Easter, having chosen it for its proximity to all the main sites for which Venice is famous for. If you are planning to stay there and are flying in to Marco Polo take a vaporeto water taxi and it will drop you off within one bridge of the hotel.

The outside of the hotel looks very modest, but as soon as you step inside it is as if you in another world, another time. This is not for those who like modern, minimalist styles as this hotel is from a bygone age, oozing charm, abounds with wood paneling, chandeliers, rich tapestries and curtains, and sofas everywhere. There are antique collections of hand held fans, furniture, and other bric a brac that belong to the owners and are on permanent display throughout the hotel on every floor and landing. This is the hotel where Vivaldi stayed and it is said he composed The Four Seasons here. Maybe.
So to the rooms. You can have one that faces an alleyway, the garden or the front of the hotel with a view out to sea ahead and the grand canal to the right. I would not recommend the alleyway as all you will see is a wall a few feet away. We had a garden view and were initially disappointed as we had asked for the sea view. But actually we were glad we did not get it as it is noisy with tourist traffic until quite late. The garden view is well maybe stretching the meaning a bit as it mainly looks at buildings immediately behind. Yes there are a clump of citrus trees immediately below but you cannot actually see a garden.

We expected a traditionally decorated room and we got exactly that. The room was not especially spacious, but it was very classically furnished, with low chairs, an ornate wooden dresser, probably antique. Some nice touches, chairs covers, a central chandelier, old fashioned carved side tables. The lighting i found rather poor, dimly lit with feeble light bulbs from the rather flimsy side lamps. I found these incongruous with the rich decorations.
The bathroom is standard 4 star hotel, on the small side - no separate shower and a rather excuse for a bathroom curtain. When you are paying £250 a night you should be able to rely on something better, possibly a hinged glass door rather than the five dollar plastic sheet that clings to you when you touch it.
There is a mini bar but prices are very expensive. By the way they leave out two packets of crisps or chips as the americans call them, a small jar of pistacios and one of salted peanuts. There is a very small. easily missable sign that says these are chargeable - 12 euros.
Breakfast - unless you have deep pockets, I wouldn't recommend eating here, as it is 30 euros for a continental breakfast. Ironically on the last morning we ordered just coffees as we needed a drink before going to the airport and the waitress also came up with a plate of croissants, and other cakes. Worried that we were going to be stung for the 30 euros breakfast we ran after her and she confirmed these were free? Dont ask me why?
Service, was impeccable, efficient, friendly and without fuss. All the more then at checkout a rather young lady tried to hoist 12 euros on us for nuts and crisps we had not had. she was quite insistent. A better trained person might have said, that in terms of customer goodwill to waive the charges. Indeed a wiser and more experienced person did intervene and he apologised and took our word for it.

There is a restaurant there with a chef reputed to be amongst the top in Venice. Be that as it may the prices are very steep - you are looking at 90 euros a head without wine and service charges. the restaurant was empty most nights.

A well positioned restaurant for the main sights, a good place to retire to at the end of a heavy day of sightseeing - the bed was supremely comfortable

Room Tip: choose a garden view room - it is quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear “Phitos P”,

I wish to thank you for your long and attentive comment about your stay at the Metropole. You really described every aspect of our service, and this is what we need to be aware of our everyday job.

I will take into serious consideration your notes about bathrooms and the minibar. As a matter of fact in these days we are restyling several rooms in terms of décor and functionality of its amenities. That will be the right occasion to consider your observations.

Thank you also for your nice words concerning the staff, this is one of the most important aspect for me: the team has to make Customers feel at home, and my guys’ passion and attention towards every guests’ wish is constant and sincere. I am sure that the little inconvenience occurred at the check-out is a simple excess of care by one of my kindest and polite collaborator. Please accept my apologies anyway if you felt not at ease in that moment.

Needless to say, I will discuss your comment with my staff. For the moment thank you again for your kindness and for your time.

Sincerely.

Fayetteville, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We just returned from an 8 day tour of Italy....we started out in Venice and so happy we chose this hotel. While the outside didn't look too beautiful (most need some work!), we were delighted with the interior of this place! Beautiful decor, wonderful, accommodating people working there....they even knew our names, and called us by name everytime they saw us! Spacious family room (2 queen beds), great updated bathroom, and they had by FAR the best breakfast spread of anywhere we stayed in Italy! It was a very short walk to St. Mark's, and only about a 10 minute walk from the Rialto Bridge. We found the beds to be a bit too firm for our tastes, but others seem to like them, so maybe it's just us. Would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
MetropoleVeniceItaly, Proprietario at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear "Peegers",
thank you so much for taking the time to write about the Metropole Hotel. I am really very glad you enjoyed your holiday in Venice. I will definitely share your comment with my staff. We do need your appreciation to keep maintaining a high level service!
I hope to meet you again at the Metropole in the future.

Kindest regards.

Warwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is a lovely hotel. The decor is amazing, with lots of interesting antique collecations, as is the location which couldn't be much better. The staff were professional and always very helpful without, as another review suggested, smug insincerety. Our room, next to the canal was lovely, very clean and well decorated and well equipped (apart from of course the coffee/tea making facilities we Brits always miss so much). Breakfast was excellent with a good variety of lovely fresh food. My only less than positive comment was the Met Restuarant. The service was excellent but it was was very expensive and did not live up to expectations (previously had a michelin star).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear "Rebecca M",
I wish to thank you for writing your comment on Tripadvisor, I will certainly take in serious consideration your suggestions.
As far as your stay at the Metropole is concerned, I am happy you appreciated it, this is the result of a constant passion and professionality of my staff. And of course, the will to satisfy every Guest's wish and make its holiday an experience worth to be remembered.
Thank you again for your support.

Regards from Venice!

Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is a delightful hotel just along the waterfront from St Marks, filled with an eclectic selection of fans, bookends, corkscrews and other collectibles. The service was impeccable - none of the smug superiority of some top end hotels, just courteous, considerate and perfectly professional. Nothing was too much trouble, nobody minded that we lingered over breakfast or wanted drinks from the bar late into the night. We had an excellent off season deal booked directly from the hotel website that included breakfast, which is normally not included. Do treat yourself, it really is worth it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear "Harry Y",
I am so glad to read your nice comment, thank you so much for your kindness.
One of the main points of the Metropole - for which I constantly apply myself - is to have a friendly staff. I think it is fundamental to meet kind and helpful people in a hotel, that is what makes the difference in a holiday, and this is something I always look for when I travel.

So thank you for underlining this aspect, and of course, my team will be informed of your compliments!
Let's hope to meet one day again in Venice.

Regards.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

took the wife for the carnival and valentines day, could not have stayed at a better hotel, we even had the valentines day meal in the met resturant, i understand this has two micelin stars, ONLY TWO OH COME ON, we have stayed in some great hotels throughout the world, but this one for class and style takes some beating, cant wait to get back there , already getting ready for next vist,

Room Tip: take the hotels private limo and water taxi from the airport, its the only way to enter venice.and o...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!