Check-in was pleasant enough, and the staff friendly. We were informed our rooms weren't ready but helpfully given a map and the route pointed out to the Rialto Bridge & St Marks Square. Left our luggage in the lobby area albeit I'm not sure if they were secure as we saw a few suitcases in hallways unattended so you may risk your valuables.
Room itself was nothing to write home about, some might prefer the Venetian style, even if a little tired but view was non-existent. Quite dark room as even when the shutters were open the view was of another brick wall & the neighbours windows looking in so tended to keep net curtains drawn. For me it felt quite claustrophobic, and I've realised I do relish somewhere with a view and ideally a balcony or where you can properly open the window and see something of some sort.
Rooms are also vulnerable to noise from others around you. For example I could hear someone next door who for some reason appeared to be switching lights on & off constantly(?), someone coughing, closing doors as well as the noise of water flushing as people used their facilities. Partner however (who's a light sleeper) heard nothing so maybe it was just me, and I did sleep better the second night. There'a also some noise during the day at present from across the street where some sort of renovation/construction is going on - it didn't bother me whilst sitting outside but some people might like to be aware.
Bed comfortable enough but only one pillow each which was fairly flat & hard. I like a feather pillow & preferably two but again partner said he quite liked them! See how subjective reviews can be, hence trying to be objective & keep this balanced!!
Fairly limited hanging space & hangers, no more than 8. Sufficient if only staying a few days but limited areas to put your stuff. For example bedside tables barely hold a glass & reading book which could be fine for some. We ended up putting most of our bits for the bathroom either on the stool in there or the main table in bedroom, as sink is cluttered with glasses & holders.
Shower over bath hot but curtain annoying as bath quite narrow so curtain billows in and sticks to you whilst showering. Silly I know but quite annoying & again I felt claustrophobic. Answer is to shower with the curtain open, but be careful when stepping out onto the wet floor as it's slippery.
No wifi in room. One dial-up lead, fine if only one of you wants to surf the net! Plus it costs 12 Euros per 24hrs. Free wifi in lobby area with password from reception, so sat outside hotel having a coffee with my laptop but it is frustrating not having it in the room.
Location right on the canal is great but not visible from the £200per night rooms, albeit we didn't ask if we could change so I guess on reflection it might have been worth a try. Handy for train station dead opposite. Area generally is good, wandered around back streets and came across lots of bars/eateries (out of hotel door, first right and we just kept wandering...)
Sky Terrace is lovely for cocktails but only open from 6pm. Waiter also recommended fabulous restaurant about 15min walk away. Da Fiore - booking recommended. Don Johnson of Miami Vice fame turned up whilst we were there! Amazing food, top service but pricy. Nice if you want to splash out and treat yourself.
Breakfast consists of scrambled egg/bacon, cold meats & cheese, plenty of fresh fruit, croissants, jams, yoghurts, cereals. Bread slightly disappointing as looked like cheap sliced white & tastes slightly sweet, brown & white rolls also available as an alternative. Coffee however was good, hot, strong & served with a jug of hot frothy milk.
To sum up it feels more like a 3* than 4* and I wouldn't choose to stay here again but that's my personal opinion. I prefer somewhere more modern, and with a more airy feel to the room, but you need to take a balanced view & decide what's right for you. General service whilst a bit slow, is fine, staff are friendly enough, and it's just the Italian way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Elegant and welcoming, the Hotel Carlton on the Grand Canal has been run with passion for approximately 30 years by a Venetian family which loves to pay its guests attention, by providing them with valuable advise on how to capture the city’s true essence.Pastel shades, Venetian stuccoes, glass wall lamps made in Murano, furnishings which, while being functional, recall the glorious Serenissima epoch: these are the elements of the new hall and bar, completely mirrored on marvellous Istria stone. Right at the centre of the hotel is an original glass cupola creating light effects which highlight its sophistication. The recently restored, characteristic internal patio onto which some of the rooms look out and where guests can enjoy breakfast or relax, using it as a peaceful open-air lounge, has a notable impact on guests. The elegant Bar Carlton Café offers you the chance to taste excellent drinks and whet your appetite with unusual snacks both in the internal room and in the open-air, enjoying an unforgettable stay on the Grand Canal.The hotel also offers its guests outstanding opportunities to discover all of Venice’s magic, by organizing personalised itineraries and excursions: boat tours to the lagoon islands, guided tours of the city, romantic itineraries followes by a candle lit dinner and much more. For further information on “special” packages, check out our online booking now or send your request to our booking centre.For conferences and meetings we can provide the “Galileo” room, fitted with update equipment and capable of holding up to 60 people.Some of the services offered to our guests include: free entry to the Casino, free baggage surveillance, baby-sitting, restaurant booking, theatre and concert tickets.Restaurant “La Cupola”Elegant reflections, inviting aromas, brilliant colours and exclusive tastes: these are the defining features of our restaurant “La Cupola”, a jewel of refined style in newly renovated surroundings, boasting harmony in its menu selections inspired both by innovative cuisine, as well as the genuine traditions of the territory.The distinct, welcoming atmosphere and the fine cuisine will envelop you and capture you, transforming your “mealtime” into an exceptional experience.You will be greeted with warmth and courtesy, and given expert advice on your menu selections.The typical and international specialties are served with refined simplicity, elegant and genuine at the same time, accompanied by an exclusive wine list. Our Maitre, Filippo Nocerino, will be at your disposition for any special requests.Perfect for any occassion or simply for a romantic evening, our restaurant “La Cupola” will live up to your expectations and your appetites!TOP OF THE CARLTON SKY LUNGE & RESTAURANTLet “Time Out” steer you upwards to the finest sky lounge in Venice for enjoying cocktails in the clouds and Grand Canal view dining .Stylish evenings begin and end at TOP OF THE CARLTON, the rooftop terrace perched on the 4th floor of the Carlton on the Grand Canal Hotel. Impressive views from this spacious terrace take in both the ancient majesty of the Grand Canal and its noble palaces and the modern Constitution bridge, the newest structure that pierces the motley Venice skyline full of domes, bell towers, arches and spires.Choose from a multitude of cocktails, snacks and light-dining while you sit and enjoy a romantic sunset or experience the gentle lapping of the Grand Canal waters as a gondola passes by.When it’s time to unwind and relax, choose Top of the Carlton.TOP OF THE CARLTON can be exclusively reserved for private events and functions, such as wedding receptions, birthday parties, corporate events – in fact the sky is the limit.Open from mid May to end of September, weather permitting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Venere, Despegar.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Carlton on the Grand Canal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlton Grand Canal Hotel
- Hotel Carlton Grand Canal
- Canal Hotel Venice