“Dont stay here!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Principe

You added Hotel Principe to your Saves list
Hotel Principe
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lista di Spagna 146 | Cannaregio, 30121 Venice, Italy (Cannaregio)   |
Ranked #208 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Sydney, Australia
“Dont stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Arrived this Hotel on 14 November, excited to be in Venice, but when I went to my room opened the door it absolutely reeked of cigarettes, went to reception to ask if they could give me another room, no, fully booked! Asked them could they do something re this, we'll open widow and spray! upon my return window open that's it. Room so small, even reeked in the tiny bathroom. Managed to get through the night and next morning moved my things into friends room until they changed me. Upon my return to the hotel later that afternoon, they gave me a new room. At 6pm left my room to go downstairs to bar of hotel to have a drink with fellow travellers and on my return about 2 hrs later, entered my room and discovered my ipad was missing and a few things had been disturbed on bed. Went down to reception to report and they didnt want to know about it! You will have to see manager who will not be in until 6.30am next morning, not good enough as far as I was concerned! especially when obvious that someone had entered the room with key! Rang my travel insurance, asked me to get something in writing, that I reported my Ipad gone and things disturbed. Next morning when finally got the Manager, he didnt want to know about it. Really left a bad feeling with me re Venice unforunately. Left later that morning to continue on my trip, but took me a day or two to move on and enjoy Italy.

Room Tip: Done go there!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Trondheim, Sor-Trondelag, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for four nights, experienced the staffs methods for taking care of the furniture when the water came in and covered the floor in the whole reception! walking on high "tables" in the street to be able to come from one place to another was also a new thing to do.
Nice rooms, good breakfast and a very ok restaurant with good food and nice staff! We will come back! Central, near the railway and close to waterbusstop!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Wow -this place is a gilded, mirrored fantasy hotel right on the canal. The lobby and its furniture is lovely and rich. Even the hallways feature delicious fabrics on chairs and lounges. The room however was small and felt like a doll house. The beds were not great but we were only there for one night. The staff was pleasant but I would not stay there again...just visit the gorgeous lobby!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Sandbach, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel before and had excellent service. Unfortunately this time around I was let down. The staff on reception lacked basic manners and treated the customers with a great degree of distain. Handing your key or collecting it was met with silence; no, "thank you" or response to, "Please can I have my key?" Indeed the 2 guys on reception had developed the art of taking and handing out keys without looking up from their important work on the desk. Trying to speak Italian to them just resulted in a look of contempt. I was staying on my own; the hotel is well located; just round the corner from the station. would I go back? If I was staying on my own again, yes. I got a very good room rate and although the room was small it was adequate for a single person. The hotel is tired; I wouldn't take my partner there; she wouldn't be impressed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Bli Bli, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

The smallest rooms encountered in our six weeks of travel. Not just small but very, very, dated. Restaurant was very expensive for what was offered. The breakfast was one of the worst we encountered also. This hotel survives because it is right in Venice not on the outskirts. If you are big people, I would recommend elsewhere, the shower would be too much of a challenge for larger people.

Room Tip: Mmmmm! Read the review. Good eateries along the street outside.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Having read many a review on this property, most of which were less than complimentary, we were pleasantly surprised with the excellent service, friendly employees and beautiful rooms. Our rooms were clean and very large, the food was great and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Thanks for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: We had rooms overlooking the Grand Canal which was what we asked for, somewhat more noisy but just p...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
albany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located minutes away from the train station and the vaporetto stop. It is situated on a street that is busy with shopping and dining. Great location. When we checked in, the bellman showed us two rooms. The first was a very small, dingy looking room in the corner of the hotel which necessitated going up steps and down steps a couple of times to locate room. The reason for the steps is the hotel is a cluster of four buildings joined together. We were also offered a canal view junior suite as an upgrade, and no steps. It was worth the upgrade to have the spacious area with a balcony and view of Grand Canal. Room was spotless. Bed comfortable. Breakfast was self-service buffet with an ample selection of foods. We did not have dinner at the hotel. Free wi-fi. Staff friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay at Hotel Principe again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Principe? Share your experiences!