“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Gabrielli

You added Hotel Gabrielli to your Saves list
Hotel Gabrielli
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Riva Degli Schiavoni 4110 | Centre - Castello, 30122 Venice, Italy (Castello)   |
Ranked #195 of 383 Hotels in Venice
Canungra, Australia
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Perfect location right on the Grand Canal near the Venice Biennale Giardini/Arsenale area's As we were there for the Biennale, it was great to be able to visit all the pavilions/exhibitions and then head back to the hotel for a break from the heat during the afternoon.

It is only 3 bridges from Doges Palace and St Marks Square with a vaporetto stop almost at the front door.

As well, the rooftop is a perfect area for night photography of the city.

The rooms are pretty good and I couldn't really fault them considering the building was built in the 1300's. There is a lovely little garden out the back which provided respite from the heat and the crowds of tourists. Hardly anyone used this garden so it was very peaceful. The vaporetto dropped us right at the back door which is on a side canal so that was pretty special - not having to wander with our suitcases from the train station was a HUGE bonus.

The staff are pretty good and the breakfasts were fairly extensive.

I'd happily stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, ask for a room that overlooks the canal. Our room had air conditioning that w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
gab4110, Direttore at Hotel Gabrielli, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear client,

thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Hotel Gabrielli. It si with pleasure I hear that you liked your stay and that you would recommend us to your friends and relatives.

We are looking forwards to welcoming you in the near future and beg to remain,

Johanna Perkhofer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Polish first
Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Pros: great view, close to st. marks square, great air condition only in the room though not in common areas, friendly staff, wonderful patio garden to sit in, free wifi, great breakfast. The included breakfast had something for everyone, I would really recommend trying the apricot jelly filled fresh croissants, and a few of the five diffrent cheeses they had out, the fresh bread was also amazing.

Cons: hotel only has one small elevator and it doesn't go to every area of the hotel so I still had to carry my luggage up a flight and a half of stairs, the rooms did not have the charm that I was expecting from such an old property, but they also had not been modernized, you could see a lot of delayed maintenance and lack of capital investment in things like cracked walls and extremely old telephone system, small room with short slopping ceiling.

Overall the room was fine for a one night stay to see the sites of Venus but it would not be good for a person who wanted a romantic room, while the view was great the room itself was small and the ceiling made it hard to shower. I would have appreciated it if the room would have been decorated more in keeping with the style of the exterior of the building rather than a mid century modern feeling. If you can get this room at a discount under 100 euros than its worth it but I wouldn't pay more.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear client,

thank you for posting a review of your stay. Our client's comments are very precious to us and we read them very carefully. I am personnaly very glad you liked the location of Hotel Gabrielli.
It is very convenient for exploring the city. The hotel disposes of two elevators, one smaller and a bigger one serving the different buildings of the hotel. In fact the 6th floor is not served by elevator because it has only 6 rooms which are accessible by a short stair from the 5th floor.
The rooms "under the roof" have a beautyful view on the skyline of Venice but are a little smaller than the others. In fact venetian palazzo's are build in a certain way - you cannot really change it all - so that the rooms under the roof are smaller than the rooms of the so called piano nobile.

We hope to gave the possibiliy to welcome you, your friends or your family on a future occation.

Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

The Gabrielli is very convenient for the Arsenale vaporetto stop, with a position on the Venice waterfront. It is within easy walking distance of the Doge's Palace and St Mark's Square.

The Hotel is pleasant and comfortable, although slightly tired. It has a charming inner courtyard where breakfast can be taken, and features a rooftop terrace - good for pre-dinner drinks and viewing the Venice hordes from a distance.

We found the staff to be more than helpful. At the front desk they looked after our luggage when we booked in early, and were pleased to help with all of our touristic and travel queries. The restaurant staff were particularly friendly and we enjoyed a good repartee with them during late evening drinks at the bar.

There is free WiFi.

The room was clean and spacious, and air conditioning worked effectively. The shower worked well with plenty of hot water, but a slight gripe in that the bathroom was very dark, and would benefit from improved lighting. Also, in common with manyhotels, there was no shelving in the bathroom to store toiletries.

All in all, recommended for a reasonably priced (by Venice standards) stopover.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
gab4110, Direttore at Hotel Gabrielli, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear client,

thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Gabrielli. For further renovation we will certainly keep in mind the lack of lightening int your bathroom as well as more storing possibilities for towels etc.
Thank your for your positive feedback and constructive criticism.

Boca Raton, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I would not recommend this hotel. It has a great view like others have said but the service was horrible. We got to the hotel and I wanted a drink as I had been travelling and I waited in the bar area for about fifteen minutes as we had to wait for our room to be ready and no one was there or came by for fifteen minutes. Finally I got a drink and our room was ready. It has a nice view I can give them that. I got settled and got ready for dinner which was okay. I think I make a better lasagna then they do which is sad. The waiters complained the whole entire dinner serving me and my friends, but I will have to say that one of the assistants was so nice it somewhat made up for the head waiter who was rude. So after dinner I went to the bar and asked for a drink since it was impossible to get one at dinner and they said no more service tonight very rudely and waved their hand at me as if to say go away. I would have been okay if they had said nicely I am sorry but the bar is closed but the waving off of the had in a go away gesture was rude in any language. As a guest I expect to be catered to for the price of the hotel but I said okay and retired to my room. The next day as we were waiting on our transfer to the cruise ship I asked for a bottle of water at the bar and they said no water so I requested a coke and Diego told me that he was no longer obligated to serve me since I had checked out. Seriously? At 400 euros a night just sell me a diet coke and be done with it! I would have given a good review had it not been for that last moment of telling me they were no longer obligated to serve me and that is why they got a terrible review.

Room Tip: Don't go find somewhere else please!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
gab4110, Direttore at Hotel Gabrielli, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Heather K,

thank you for writing a review of your stay. Thank you for pointing out the nice view we offer from our rooms. I am so sorry you did not enjoy the service at our restaurant and apologize for it.
Of course I talked immediately to the restaurant staff and the head waiter. As the Manager of the Hotel I feel sorry we were not able to satisfy your expectation. Perhaps there was a little misunderstanding at the end because if you check out and pay the bill and order a drink after that the staff cannot bill it to you room any more but has to ask you for money on the spot. The bar tender does this often of course but this has perhaps lead to a misunderstanding.
I hope to be able to welcome you in the future and send you my best regards.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great location--not too far from Piazza San Marco but turns quiet by night time. Loads of shops and gelato downstairs. Spectacular views of the canal by the veranda, breakfast buffet was better than the usual. Rooms a bit small as expected but I loved the bathroom connecting to the other room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear VhelandChristian,

thank you for writing a reivew of your stay at the Hotel Gabrielli in Venice.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to
have the pleasure to welcome you again soon.

Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I wound up at Hotel Gabrielle because Hotel Savoia & Jolanda did not honor my pre-paid and confirmed reservation for the first of my three day stay in Venice -- instead they moved me down the waterfront to what was a vastly inferior room (# 513) to what I had paid for at Savoia and Jolanda. The room in Hotel Gabrielle had a beautiful view and nothing else. The cleaning staff routinely dumped bags of dirty linens outside our room (see photo), the plumbing was ancient (see photo), the beds were the most uncomfortable I've ever slept in -- and the pillows had a handful of feathers in each one and nothing else. The staff was friendly and the breakfast was quite nice, but overall the hotel had nothing special to offer other than its view.

Room Tip: Maybe the suites are nice here, but the small room we stayed in was hot and uncomfortable.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Britethorn,

thank you for writing a review of your stay. I regret that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel
and will cernainly go through the remarks you mentioned. I can understand that being moved
to another hotel than reserved is not pleasant. Please accept my appologizes for the inconvenience caused even though perhaps the diappointment started already with the move from the first hotel to Hotel Gabrielli. Just understand that this is out of our control.

Dresden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We loved our experience at this hotel from the moment we stepped off the water bus, the vaporetto.
The Arsenale Stop was so close to the hotel we easily pulled our luggage there.
The greeting staff were friendly, our cute room faced the canal. The bed and shower were good as was the breakfast, which was included in the hotel price. It was only a short walk to St. Marks Square. The best part was the roof top patio. After our long tourist packed days we had our own wine and cheese while enjoying the view of the canal below. Our last day we discovered a small grocery store, coffee shop, wine store etc. a little ways in behind our hotel, where water, wine etc. was very reasonable. Now we know this, the next time we stay in Venice at the Gabrielli, WHICH WE WILL, our stay will be perfect!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Debi,

thank you for writing a positive review of your stay at the Hotel Gabrielli.
It is a greta pleasure to read that you enjoyed being our guest.

A warm welcome for you and your familiy and friends in the not so far future.

Johanna Perkhofer

Been to Hotel Gabrielli? Share your experiences!