“A gem of a hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel American Dinesen

You added Hotel American Dinesen to your Saves list
Hotel American Dinesen
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via San Vio 628 | Dorsoduro District, 30123 Venice, Italy (Dorsoduro / Accademia)   |
Ranked #42 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“A gem of a hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Just got back from a 5 day break at the Hotel American Dinesen with my partner. Our first time in Venice so was relying on other tripadvisor reviews before booking. We were not disappointed. The hotel is very picturesque, set on a side canal so you can have the views without the noise and very central for the major attractions. Our room was nice, not very big but adequate and spotlessly clean with a large balcony overlooking the canal. The hotel has been undergoing a makeover and appears to becoming more boutique looking, although the bedrooms are still Venetian decor. The staff could not be more friendly or helpful. There is no kitchen, so no cooked food, but there was a plentiful continental breakfast provided of cereals,toast, meat, cheese, fresh bread, fresh fruit and pastries so we didn't go hungry. Also was pleasantly surprised at the speed of the internet connection in the bedroom. Would totally recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We asked for a larger balcony for 2 chairs as some balconies are very small. From listening to other...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Polish first
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I'll be honest, I think I lucked out with my stay at the Hotel American-Dinesen. I booked fairly late, and for two weekday nights, and I ended up with a terrific rate for a very spacious room in the adjacent building -- a sitting room with a large, comfortable couch, and a loft bedroom up a flight of stairs. It's quite obviously newly renovated space. The electric outlets have USB ports built in, making it very easy to charge phones and tablets.

Even if I'd had a more standard size room, as my brother and sister-in-law did for their longer stay, I would have considered it a good value. The staff were unfailingly friendly and helpful, and the bellman who helped bring my luggage to the next building wouldn't accept a tip.

There are undoubtedly hotels that are more convenient to public transportation; this one's about an hour and 40 minutes from the Venice Marco Polo Airport by Vaporetto, the affordable public water transportation. There were probably 15 stops before this one, and I was the last passenger. But, it's an inexpensive way, about €15, to get to your hotel from the airport in a city where "water taxi" speedboats are VERY expensive, likely over €100.

But even if we weren't in a very central spot, we found we could walk from here to everywhere we hoped to visit. (We did a LOT of walking.)

Breakfast wasn't included in my room rate, as it was for my relatives' room, but I felt the €10 charge was a good value for the buffet so I could join them. They offer cappuccino, latte, or espresso on request, and a good variety of breakfast items.

My only real complaint is that on following the walking directions from the Zattere vaporetto stop, I first came to the "annex" building, where it turned out my room was, saw the sign for the hotel etched in the beautiful glass door, and couldn't figure out how to get in. After a while, I discovered the main entrance to the hotel two doors further down. I would suggest a sign on that door directing guests to the main entrance!

Room Tip: The loft rooms in the second building would not be accessible; the bedroom is up a flight of stairs...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Like so many of the reviews already written for this great little hotel we found it perfect for our 2 nights in Venice. Location is great, quiet and away from noisy main centres but an enjoyable walk to everything. We loved the fact that we looked over the canal and a tiny bridge, this may be a cliche but after all, this is Venice!!! Recent renovations are stylish and comfortable. The trip by vaporetto from the parking station to Academia is great way to arrive and of course the ticket then lets you use vaporetto for the the rest of your stay. The staff were welcoming and helpful with all the necessary information.

Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here in March 2015. This was our second time here, previously in 2004.
The hotel has changed quite a bit since we were there 11 years ago. In 2004 the room we stayed in had typical venetian fabric on the walls and bed. This time, we had a superior canal view room and everything had been "modernized" The reception area and breakfast room have been changed and updated. An elevator, not yet ready to go when we were there, has been installed. We loved the way the hotel was decorated and felt when here in 2004, but the improvements were very nice. As always, the staff was very helpful and friendly and the breakfast very good. I again highly recommend this hotel in a quiet yet convenient location and will stay here if I return to Venice.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Irby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Had a very nice superior room with canal view which was great. Although the canal outside was small it was really good to see and hear all the many boats going about their business.
The hotel is very nicely furnished throughout with a good buffet breakfast and close to the Grand Canal and all the central attractions.
The staff were very attentive and friendly but not over zealous.
If I go back to Venice I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a canal view.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Very pleasant stay in Dorsoduro, 2 minute walk from the Accademia vaporetto and bridge over the grand canal but far enough to be very quiet.
We had two rooms which they were kind enough to book adjacent to each other without our asking. This is typical of the hotel and Elisabetta on reception in particular who was patient, helpful and considerate at all times - wished us a very warm welcome when we arrived and always an enthusiastic "buongiorno"/"buonasera".
On arrival our bags were immediately taken upstairs to our rooms - they have a lift as well btw so it is not a problem to be on the top floor! The rooms were appointed to a high standard with modern mattresses on the beds which have the body forming foam but which were still nicely firm. They have recently renovated so everything had a 'new' feel to it. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel as we wanted to experience a more naturally authentic Venice and so ate at local establishments.
I would say it suits all visitors - families, elderly, business.
We could not recommend this hotel highly enough!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed here in April 15 for 3 nights. My reasons for choosing are simple and straightforward. The recent reviews on TA and a private dock. I am partially disabled and just cannot hump cases over endless little bridges to get to a hotel. As it happens you only have to cross one small bridge from the Accademia stop on the vaparetto. The hotel is really quaint and decorated in the old Venetian style. The staff extremely helpful, and when I asked to be situated on the first floor to avoid the stairs up to the upper floors, they were only too willing to shift things around to make our life easier. Cases were delivered to our room without us having to touch them from leaving the train station. (We had arrived by train from Florence). When asked for anything they were quick to assist and ensure that our stay was a really relaxing and enjoyable one. The restaurant next door (also reviewed is a true hidden gem) so the lack of a restaurant in the hotel other than for breakfast does not detract in any way.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel American Dinesen? Share your experiences!