“Good location near the Accademia and friendly staff.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel American Dinesen

You added Hotel American Dinesen to your Saves list
Hotel American Dinesen
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via San Vio 628 | Dorsoduro District, 30123 Venice, Italy (Dorsoduro / Accademia)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Direct - 4% discount
Ranked #34 of 383 Hotels in Venice
Singapore, Singapore
“Good location near the Accademia and friendly staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed at one of the duplex apartments at Hotel American Denisen ( Apartment 1) from 10 Dec to 13 Dec. Marco, whom I assumed is the manager , is very accommodating. I had actually booked the wrong date for the apartment and although it was specifically mentioned that there would be no refunds or any amendment that could be made to the booking, he was very nice to accommodate to my changes not once, but twice.

Paulo, I hope I get his name correct, helped us with our very heavy luggage. We are two female travellers who have very heavy luggage and he was very nice to carry our luggage. He even showed us on where we could go to the nearest supermarket. The apartment is fantastic and I also manage to get it at an extremely good rate. The kitchen is well equipped and kitchen towels were changed regularly. There is even a washing machine for those who want to save cost to send their clothings to the launderette. The apartment is comfortable for four adults and the wifi is extremely strong.

I agree with the other viewers that the hotel is located in a quiet path at Dorsoduro. Those who want to visit Accademia and Peggy Guggeheim museums will find the hotel's location ideal. It is also just three stops away from Rialto and one stop away from San Marco. There is also a small cafe and a ristorante located nearby. I hope to come back soon.

Room Tip: I had Apartment 1. Personally, I find it alright, especially the kitchenware and the washing machine...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Our 4 night stay at Hotel American Dinesen in Dorsoduro met all our expectations.Staff were friendly and very helpful,room overlooking canal (room102)was very pleasant and well worth the very reasonable price.Bathroom was well designed and had brand new fixtures, all in excellent working order.Bed linens and towels were changed every day,although they don't need to be.Breakfasts were more than adequate with great selection of bread,fruit,pastries and tarts,yoghurts cheeses and juices.Good coffee.
Staff available to carry bags up hotel and nearby bridge stairs.Easy walk with baggage to and from Accademia and Zattere boat stops
By early Dec,the waters had receded,so there no problems getting around.The hotel is ideally located for easy access to the Guggenheim and Accademia museums. Best of all,very few tourists on this side of the canal,streets quiet at night.Suggest eating at Taverno san Travaso just west of the Accademia and visiting all the tasteful,small shops in the area and Gelateria Nico on Zattere
My only concern- carpeting is a little threadbare and should be replaced over time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed at the American Dinesen last July. It´s a great place to stay, as it´s located near the Ponte dell´Accademia, far from the noisy Canareggio and Rialto. San Marco Piazza is walking distance (about 10 min). The Peggy Guggenheim museum is just around the corner, as well as the Accademia Gallery, both have a collection of amazing pieces that are worth seeing. Rooms have a reasonable size, especially if you consider the tiny scale of Venezia. The beds are comfortable and the neighborhood is quiet so you can definitely get a good rest after a touristy journey. Breakfast was good, too. There is no elevator, but they would help you out with the luggage through the stairs. Personnel are friendly and always willing to help. I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This charming small, quiet hotel is in the best location in Venice, on a small lovely canal off the beaten path in Dorsoduro. Far fewer tourists are seen in this area and it seems more the real, delightful Venice of times long past. All parts of Venice are easily accessed from here by foot or with vaporetto assist. This beautiful sestiere has several good restaurants and lively Campi ( like Santa Margherita). The staff of the hotel is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are medium sized, fully adequate, attractive, and have all amenities. Breakfast is more than adequate. My wife and I will, hopefully, stay here again!

Room Tip: The rooms on the canal are delightful, but slightly noisier. We preferred the canal rooms neverthele...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Myself and my wife have just spent a wonderful four nights in this superb small hotel.
I dont like to book in advance because I like to see what I am getting before settling on a room. So last friday afternoon at sunset we arrived by boat from the airport, hoping to find a gem.
I left my wife at a cafe with the bags and set off to check out as many hotels as I could find in the area.
This was the third that I found, and even though it seemed perfect I managed to have a look at rooms in another four hotels before settling for this one.
The reason being that of the seven I saw it was by far the nicest room and the second cheapest.
It actually felt like more of a suite than a room, as it had two balconies one facing the Grand Canal, the othe overlooking the canal directly outside, beamed vaulted ceiling loads of windows and a huge bathroom.
Room302 top floor. Fantastic.
Great staff, very good buffet breakfast and views to die for.
Worth the cost to make our stay in venice feel so special.
I will also post a photo of the room to prove that I am not exaggerating.

Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This was our second visit to Hotel American Dinesen - the first being eleven years ago. It was as good as the first time round. Our canal view room was spacious and clean and all the staff were extremely polite and helpful. The hotel is perfectly situated for sightseeing but in a quiet location. We shall definately be going back, in fact we would never stay anywhere else in Venice.

Room Tip: Our room -101 - was perfectly situated on the first floor in the corner with superb canal view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed here in mid November with 3 of our children and their partners to celebrate my husband's 70th birthday. We had beautiful canal side rooms with balconies and had the most perfect time. The staff are so warm and friendly and welcoming - they provided us with a complementary bottle of prosecco to celebrate and could not have been more helpful. This must have been our 10th visit or so and we would never stay anywhere else in Venice (and we have stayed at the Cipriani). The hotel is so conveniently placed on a quiet canal but so close to everything you could want to see. We love it.

Room Tip: Definitely book a superior room with a balcony and canal view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family