“Great location-Helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Montecarlo

You added BEST WESTERN Montecarlo to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Montecarlo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle degli Specchieri 463 | San Marco, 30124 Venice, Italy (San Marco)   |
Special Offer
Offers for every need
Ranked #86 of 383 Hotels in Venice
Long Grove, Illinois
“Great location-Helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed here with my elderly mother in November, 2011. Took public boat from airport to San Marco Square. I used AT&T Android smartphone GPS to direct us to the proper walkway off the square plus about 50 steps and we were in the hotel. Leisurely walk in the other direction led us to Ponte di Rialto. Staff was most helpful recovering purse left on Alitalia flight.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

On arrival we were upgraded to a bigger room - which was still small. Rooms were clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We were on the 1st floor overlooking the street, very noisy. Reception were happy to move us if we wished. The free Wifi wouldn't work in our room and only worked occasionally in the lobby- apparently they had trouble with Telecom? Breakfast was included and was OK. Venice is expensive, this hotel was about 98 Euro/night on booking.com. We moved across the road to Panda Hotel after our 2 nights as we stayed an extra night and got that room for 59 Euro - nice room aswell and less cost - Staff not as nice as the Monte Carlo though.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Middlesex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

Myself and daughter stayed here in September 2011. Although it was a little difficult to find ( true of many locations in Venice) The welcome we received was so professional and courteous. Our room was wonderful and my daughter loved that the mirror in the bathroom de-misted so quickly ( to allow for applying make-up!!)
Once we got our bearings,we realised what a perfect location. A few minutes walk to San Marco, the Rialto Bridge etc. We didn't need to use water buses or taxis,we just walked everywere,which makes Venice so appealing.
Staff were so helpful and arranged a walking tour that we wanted. They also provided a free trip to Murano and the glass factory, which was wonderful. Unfortunately, too expensive for our budget. Would definitely stay at this hotel again. 'Brilliant'

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

My husband and I along with my sister and her husband stayed at this hotel for one night after our cruise ended, Oct. 9 - 10. Wish we could have stayed longer. The hotel is tucked away on one of the many side streets surrounding San Marco Square. It is perfectly located for everything. We had two rooms, one of them was ready when we checked in so we were able to put our suitcases in there and dashed out to take in as much of Venice as we could.

The rooms are decorated in old elegant Venetian style and have all the modern conviences including air-conditioning and modern bathrooms. Our room had a julliet balcony overlooking the street which was very busy.

The next morning we had a very early departure to get to Venice Airport for our flight leaving at 6:30 am, so we had to depart our hotel at 4:30 am. The private water taxi's are very expensive to the airport (over 100 Euro). The hotel arranged for us to share this expense with another couple. My sister and husband left on a later morning flight and were also able to share their private water taxi to the airport which the hotel front desk arranged for them. Note: If you have extra large bags, you will be charged extra for them.

Because of such a early departure we did not get a chance to try the hotel's continental breakfast which is included in the room rate. We went to bed early but my sleep was interrrupted by the loud banging noises from down below as the shops and restaurants pulled down the metal shutters at closing time. Otherwise I really did like the room and looking down upon all the activity and laughter coming from the street below. Not all the rooms have the julliet balconies, so if you would like one, you should ask for it.

Important Note: Unless you get a private porter to help you with luggage, you have to manage to transport your luggage by yourself ... to your hotel, from your hotel, to and from canals. We took a prepaid water transfer booked on our Princess Cruise ship which dropped us off near San Marco square but it was still quite a walk, over bridges, etc. to get to our hotel. You are lugging your suitcases along bumpy cobbled streets, over bridges, etc. It is very wise to travel lighter if you are going to stay at a hotel in the heart of Venice.

If you have to get to Venice Airport quickly or very early in the morning, you really have not other choice but to take a private water taxi. Make sure you arrange this with your hotel front desk the day before your departure!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Northridge, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

I wouldn't recommend staying there for one reason: The place is not secure, and I have a feeling there are thieves on the staff. First issue is they don't yet use electronic card key locks. Second is they give you a key on a giant key chain, and request that you leave it at the front desk every time you leave. They're very polite and helpful, but now they know who's coming and going. When you come back you ask for the key. Several times it's with a person at the desk you haven't met before, but they'll give you the key. Just say your room number. How can they be sure it's you?

I came back to the room the last afternoon I was there and left again for a couple of hours. I came back early because of a 3:40 am waterbus I had to catch to the airport. I leave my suitcase in the room locked with one of those TSA locks (probably master keys are everywhere or can easily be picked). I noticed when I came back my luggage was slightly moved from where I left it, but didn't think anything of it. When packing the next morning, I noticed a plastic bag I kept inside the luggage in a side compartment with a bunch of spare euro coins and U.S. coins I didn't feel like carrying around, was stolen. I am very consciences where I put my stuff, so it wasn't misplaced elsewhere. In fact, before going out for the last time that afternoon, I took some euro change out of the bag and left it on a table in the room for the housekeeper's tip the next day. They didn't take that money, so I took that back. No tip for the housekeeper now.

I didn't feel like arguing with the person at the front desk, since it was 3:00 am, and I had a boat to catch. I didn't want aggrivate myself. I'll never set foot in this place again.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere. From my horrible experience I can't leave any tip.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Brazil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Considering that Venice is "tight" I found this hotel an excellent cost / benefit. Very well located. The room is reasonable, good bathroom, some parts of the hotel have been refurbished and the breakfast very good for the local standard. The only hitch was the internet connection, but considering that we were surrounded by water on all sides, was even reasonable. If you do not take your laptop the hotel provides complimentary computer in loby. Staff muitpo helpful. Beware of free excursion to Murano because the intent is to make you spend there. It has several places in town that sell pieces of Murano at more affordable prices.I do not give better qualification, as there is air conditioning.

Room Tip: we stayed in a room on the first floor, which was very good, because the elevator is small and slow...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

This hotel is located among the warrens of alleys around St. Marco. It's difficult to locate and doesn't look like much, but the proximity to so many things makes it worthwhile. The facility is a bit dated. The rooms were ok, but didn't have a view. We asked for a dinner recommendation at the desk and later felt like we'd been set up. Breakfast was included but was nothing special.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family