“Calm & Quirky” 4 of 5 stars

+39 (0)415201789
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian, Vietnamese
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: Currently closed. Reopening September 30, 2013.
Venice, Italy
“Calm & Quirky”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

A friend of ours was leaving Venice for a few weeks and a mutual acquaintance suggested that we should have a last lunch together. The place put forward was somewhere called The Tea Room. The Tea Room! The TEA room. What tomfoolery was this. Supposing I was seen. The cry would go up round Venice, “Do you know who I saw and what he was drinking?” On being told there would be general fainting and disbelief.
However at 12.30 we found ourselves seated in said Tea Room. It’s a very uncluttered place with very few tables. We were first but after half an hour all tables were taken. Despite its name it does not have an overtly English feel to it and neither does the menu. We were given rather attractive small menus and I was taken back by the varieties of tea that are on offer; every flavour and variety including tisanes. I don’t know what tisanes are but there were plenty of them. At last as a sinking feeling began to overtake me I saw those lovely words ‘wine’ and ‘beer’. So followed a very pleasant lunch for the four of us. There was a choice of lenticche al curry, zuppa di ceci, quiche di vedure, pappa al pomodoro, ribolita and crêpes vegetariana. We all chose different things with me opting for the lenticche. It was unbelievably tasty and with just the right amount of heat. It was incredibly filling, so much so that I didn’t eat for the rest of the day. The Tuscan bread that came with the meal put Venetian bread to shame. With our glass of wine came a half litre of tap water. So, all in all we had an excellent lunch.
There is much attractive artwork in the Tea Room mostly of animals and postcard copies are available to buy. The service is very personal and unrushed and that is not a euphemism for slow. For those of a literary bent the palazzo opposite is the one Henry James had in mind when writing The Aspern Papers.
For lunch and a glass of wine 13 euros.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
Toronto, Canada
“A slice of heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I went here for a late lunch while in Venice strictly because of the amazing reviews it had received on Trip Advisor. It is a little out of the main stream area of Venice but actually wandering through the streets to get to it was part of the enjoyment you see amazing things on the way there and back that you would not normally see as they are off the beaten track.

When I arrived the couple who own the Caffe are so friendly and could not possibly do anything more to make your time there enjoyable. I had an amazing tomato soup with bread and a tea and a piece of the famous chocolate and pear cake to finish off. I went here for a late lunch and ended up eating so much that I didn't actually need dinner and had I have been there for longer I definitely would have ventured back for another lovely meal.

The caffe itself is very clean, tidy and filled with color and beautiful paintings. The couple who own this place are onto a winner and were very lovely to talk to.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“A delightful, peaceful haven.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Quite close to our hotel, Antiche Figure we stopped by for afternoon tea after sightseeing. The lovely, quiet atmosphere was such a rewarding experience after the hustle and bustle of the busy tourist traps near St Mark's Square. A great selection of teas and tasty home made cakes.

Leicester, England
“Great food and excellent customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Would highly recommend this place , we stopped here for a light lunch. My husband had the lentil curry and I had the chick pea soup - both were delicious. It's a quiet place and located a bit further out. Home made scones were served warm and truly scrumptious. The customer service was brilliant, loos spotlessly clean. The only negative point would be that €10 for soup felt a bit pricey, however if I were to go to Venice again I would definitely go and eat here again. As a vegetarian this is a gem of a find, as much as I love pizza it's nice to have other options. Highly likely that I wouldn't have come across this place if it hasn't been for the tripadviser community. This is only the second review that I have written as not that good at writing,will be making a positive effort to make future contributions to inform others as have so relied on the feedback provided.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“It is the tranquility that lends to the strength”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Located on the Rio Marin water way opposite Pasticceria Rio Marin (which is another top ten TA rated spot) the Tea Room offers a spot of order and peace, which comes at a premium in any congested city. The place is run by a man and a woman both of whom speak perfect English and are somehow able to get every done without raising their voices or causing a kerfuffle which is something worth applauding in Italy. The tea and cakes all make perfect sense and you can see that proper thought has been put into what is what. The food looked really good and you could see everyone pleased to have a decent meal. We had chocolate pear cake, the carrot cake and tea's and coffee's all of which were excellent. Everything is freshly baked/made that day. Good wifi signal as well if you need to plan the next step of your journey.

• Visited April 2013