“Great location, not the staff” 3 of 5 stars

Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #83 of 383 Hotels in Venice
Cumming, Georgia
“Great location, not the staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Our first Venice trip and we were pleased to realize our original boutique hotel had overbooked and placed us at the Monaco. We thought we hit the lottery; steps away from the St Marks, the grand canal, a gondola station and waterbuses. Surprise! Aside from the first impression of the lobby, all other great impressions remained outside the door of this place. With a family of 4, I was not about to pay 25 euros pp for the limited breakfast. The rooms were all run electronically with the room key card. Catch22; if there was no keycard in the wall slot, the outlets wouldn't function, so we had to budget our time to charge phones, cameras, etc.

My kids had to loiter in the halls to get a strong enough signal for WiFi. Final day of stay I had a hard time placing a call to my airline from the room. The concierge "offered" to patch me through. Upon check out that little favor of a 3 minute call had cost me 40 euros without a warning. With enough bickering it was lowered down to 20 euros. Any time I had a question regarding transport or sights, I felt like I always caught the staff in a bad mood. Our rooms faced the alley street with high end stores. Little did we know that once the stores closed, the knock off salespeople took over and during the late hours, they were loud.

Will I visit Venice again, definitely... The Monaco... Flat out, No!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the Canal. You don't want the chatter of pedestrians and street salesppl
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Whitby, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

For the price you pay to stay here, you will be unamazed.
The sheets in the bed must have a 50 thread count as they practically felt like laying on sandpaper. We got a great view of the alley, and no breakfast or any information about Venice at all. We were at least expecting a "Welcome to Venice", or a little brochure with information about the area, but no... it was almost painful to ask questions without feeling like an idiot.
The best thing about this place is the convenience to the water bus to take you to the airport.
I would not recommend this place as we paid way too much and got nothing but a backache and horrible service in terms of greetings and welcomes and checkout.

Room Tip: There are only four floors, so any level would be good. You could, for a lot more money, ask for a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

I came a Long way and very excited to see a place that I have been waiting my whole life to get to.. I'm 46. Venice itself was everything and more... The hotel not.
The foyer was lovely... The staff not. My booming was with breakfast which is what was said with an exclamation on my hotel booking voucher made by my travel agent in Sydney. No it wasn't included they said so I had to pay another 25 euros per breakfast... But it's on the voucher.. Didn't seem to matter or they can't read.
2ndly my room was small .. That's ok but a single bed. According to my agent I had been allocated a room suite... And it looked out onto th foyer rooftop and adjacent building. Not pretty.
It was more the arguing about the breakfast that narked me... Even after I looked a little upset the guy at the desk said no worries we will give it... But after breakfast I was told no I had to pay. My agent also checked this out and said my contract definitely included breakfast and they are being very stubborn about it.
I enjoyed Venice regardless. But... They did not leave me with good impression of this hotel. There are many more smaller friendlier hotels with local living in Venice that are much better and maybe even cheaper.
Yes and this was supposed to be my offer from hotel kette which was my original booking but had been doubled up... Was told this was a much better offer even though I had to pay another 300 euros to get this booking for 3 nights with "breakfast"
The staff at desk are arrogant . The room service staff are lovely. The restaurant is pretty ... It took ages for wait staff to acknowledge me at breakfast for me wanto g a pot if coffee.
It's a real shame.
Nice spot tho.

• Stayed July 2013
Phuket, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Tihis was my fourth time at the hotel over about twenty years and it is always of same high standard. Excellent locaton which is very important in Venice with a lovely dining terrace overlooking the Grand Canal. Friendly and helpful staff and clean comfortable rooms. However I do have two comments. Firstly I preferred to have the previously served contniental breakfast rather than the present buffet whose quality does not match up to the hotels normal standards. The evening we had dinner the chef had a bad day in the office. Our risotto was over cooked - we did not pay for it - and the rack of lamb which was ordered medium rare turned out to be quite rare. Despite these two comments it would be unfair not to give the hotel the highest rating.

Room Tip: Chose a room overlooking the Grand Canal.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The best thing about the Hotel Monaco & Grand Canal is its location, barely a stone's throw from San Marco Plaza and right in front of the San Marco - Vallaresso vaparetto stop. It was so easy to navigate our way through the sights of Venice from this ultra-convenient location. The rooms were nicely furnished but the sheets were scratchy, the pillows quite flat, and the rooms rather small. The bathrooms had marble counters and bathtub surrounds, which made climbing into the tub for the shower rather difficult. I didn't like the concierge, either. I specifically requested recommendations to restaurants frequented by locals, not tourists, and was promptly sent to a touristy restaurant our first night. After that initial experience, I ignored his remaining restaurant recommendations. And when I asked for information about visiting Murano and Burano, we were told that the hotel provided "free" water taxi service to Murano. Well, the water taxi was free, but we had to endure a 30-minute sales tour of 12 rooms of glass works before we could get out of there and explore Murano on our own. Clearly, the concierge at the Hotel Monaco is more interested in serving the hotel's business deals with local vendors than attending to its guests' needs.

Rio de Janeiro
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Very good hotel considering only its location and decor of the rooms. I think a very good hotel would not offer a free tour to a glass factory called Fornace Venier in Murano, without telling his guests that this factory fool tourists by charging for a piece 3 times more than any other shop in Venice. As a travel agent I don't recommend this hotel anymore.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I wanted a special birthday treat for my husband but was finding a difficult time booking a beautiful room in Venice where my two kids could also stay with us...when we arrived to the Hotel Monaco there was an initial misunderstanding as sharing 'existing bedding' was apparently not the case though we had been led to believe that by our agora reservation. Luckily, Mrs. Carmen, looked into it as my children had been so excited to stay. We ended up getting an upgrade to a luxurious 2 room suite overlooking the grand canal at no extra cost (except payment for two extra breakfast which we were more than willing to do. The buffet plates was not too extensive but the view made up for it). The hotel is wonderful, the lobby is very impressive, but the highlight was the room with Murano chandeliers and great views-a very memorable holiday!

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room overlooking the canal. It might be pricier but the views are wonderful.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GabrieleMarchiori, Direttore at Hotel Monaco & Grand Canal, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear jengargi,

thank you for staying at our hotel! Client's satisfaction is our major aim.

I really do hope to see you againg at our Hotel.

Sincerely yours,
Gabriele Marchiori, General Manager

Been to Hotel Monaco & Grand Canal? Share your experiences!