“Make sure to reserve a time for your visit on line” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Saint Mark's Basilica (Basilica di San Marco)

Saint Mark's Basilica (Basilica di San Marco)
San Marco 328, 30124 Venice, Italy (San Marco)
39-041-5225205
Website
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
Skip the Line
$23*
and up
Skip The Line: St Mark's Cathedral Tour with...
Ranked #4 of 372 things to do in Venice
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Blending the architectural styles of East and West, Venice's magnificent basilica was consecrated in 832 AD as an ecclesiastical building to house the remains of St. Mark.
Lancashire
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Make sure to reserve a time for your visit on line”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

A must see if vising Venice and so glad we reserved a time on line costing 1.5 euros to avoid the queues. When we got there the queue was horrendous, but we just walked right past and straight in no problem. TIP .. take something to cover your shoulders, they charge 2 euros to give you some sort of paper cape to cover you otherwise, bit cheeky we thought. I'd taken a very tiny t-shirt which I could crush into my bag and just slipped this over my shoulders as we entered and no one bothered us. Also watch out for the shop as you leave - we bought a glass gondolla but found it was broken (in the box) when we got back to the hotel.

Visited August 2013

23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Absolutely breathtaking!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Saint Mark's Basilica is a breathtaking example of Byzantine architecture at its most opulent, the Basilica is the most lavishly decadent piece of architecture I have ever seen and easily the most magnificent church. The inside of the Basilica has a dark, gothic feel, adorned with opulent gilded mosaics and beautiful paintings. Absolutely spectacular. A must-see in Venice.

Palatine, Illinois
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The bells forever in my mind...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

There is nothing to dislike ... not even the crowds of tourists! On Sunday morning we walked into the square with the bells all ringing ... it was amazing & gives me chills! It will forever when I remember the sounds! We returned at night & when I close my eyes, I can see the lights of St. Mark's Square & the Basilica surrounding us ... and my husband's arms surrounding me!

Hjo, Sweden
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Beatiful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The Basilicais very beatiful,and its free to enterto stroll around the center of it. On the negative side; if you want to see other parts of the Church, you have to pay for every part. Maybe an idea to sel and extendes ticket to access all areas?

NC USA
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Not so Great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Yes, it's big, yes, it's full of gold embellishments, but it lacks a certain aesthetic cohesiveness and once inside there are too many people to enjoy any of the "vistas" it might otherwise afford. It was much less enjoyable than I expected.