“Fancy Vegetarian and Healthy Choices with Flair!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Frary's

Frary's
Fondamenta dei Frari, 30125 Venice, Italy (San Polo)
+39 041 720050
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #224 of 1,217 Restaurants in Venice
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Lebanese, Greek, Vegetarian, Middle Eastern, Vegan
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: San Polo
Description: Mediterranean food, greek and lebanise options. Good variety for vegetarian, vegan, lactose free and gluten free (Certificated from AIC). Greek and lebanise wines
Montana
“Fancy Vegetarian and Healthy Choices with Flair!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We enjoyed an assortment of vegetables for an appetizer and lamb and chicken couscous dishes and a home made ice cream infused with flowers and the house white wine-- a pleasing combination.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
New York City, New York
“Found in 1997 - returned in 2014 - it's that good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

In 1997 I was backpacking through Italy with a friend and we found this place. We ate here almost every meal because the food was excellent and we knew we weren't getting ripped off. Fast forward to 2014 when I am here with my husband and I knew I wanted to find Frary's again. It was just as before. Incredibly fresh, good food, great service, reasonable prices. I love this place and now HE loves this place!

Asheville, North Carolina
“Our Favorite Restaurant in Venice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We originally stopped at Frary's because we were tired, hungry and they advertised gluten-free choices. We came back two more times over our stay because the food is delicious - sometimes exquisite - and feels nourishing. The service is attentive and the environment is attractive and welcoming. We noticed the restaurant is a favorite of residents also.

Federica, the owner is a good guide as what is best that day; we'd recommend following her suggestions.

I noticed one reviewer wanted the food more highly spiced. Usually our preference is for highly spiced food also, but these dishes are so delicately and beautifully flavored that we enjoyed them as served and found them very satisfying. More in would not have been better in our opinion.

Federica, speaks excellent English and is gracious and informed not only about her menu but about the area. She is well traveled; we enjoyed her conversation when she had the time. Her wait staff, Diana and Nicole are gracious and competent.

Note to those who need to be gluten free: If you let the staff know you are gluten sensitive you will be brought your own bread basket and a special chocolate at the end. They are knowledgeable about which dishes are gluten free and will make adjustments to some others as possible.

• Visited February 2014
Oxfordshire, England
“Good value, friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

We went to Frary's on a recent trip to Venice and like others who have reviewed this place, we went because we just wanted something different from the standard Italian fare. We were going onto a concert so arrived just as they were opening up (at 6pm) for the evening. We shared a delicious plate of mixed appetiser containing items such as falafel, hummous, kofte etc. I'd have been happy to have eaten just this as my main meal. I then had the Jordanian rice dish (Maqluba or something) with chicken and my husband had a cous cous dish. My main could have done with some more spicing. We are used to eating well spiced food in the UK but I know many people aren't used to it so it must be difficult to please all tastes in this regard.

The atmosphere was lovely and cosy for a cold March evening with candles on the tables but the warmth really came from the very friendly woman who served us. We spoke to her about places she could recommend for cicheti (the tapas style bites that are a tradition in Venetian bars) and she recommended Cantinone Gia Schiavi in Dorsodouro and Al Timon in Canareggio. Unfortunately, due to lack of time we weren't able to test out these recommendations but it's always good to know where the locals would go.

Overall: The food was good value for what we had but could do with some more spicing (not hot necessarily just spicier). Good choice for vegetarians. Also, the music could be more in keeping with the Middle Eastern/Greek theme of the food (perhaps if we had stayed longer they would have got round to that!).

I would have happily gone back the next night but it was closed on Tuesdays according to our guide book. If you want something different with friendly service that doesn't break the bank then try Frary's.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Mountain Lakes, New Jersey
“Great food....warm staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I'm in Venice every year for weeks at a time. I love Frary's!!
Italian food is fab...but it's great to change it up a bit and Frary's is the perfect place to do so.
The Tzatziki sauce an Peperoni sauce is the best I've ever tasted....in fact...I get it to go.
It was a perfect addition to our 'Martini Party'.
Frary's is a great place to go....relax...and have great food!

• Visited January 2014