“Pretty location, average food, annoyingly expensive.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #574 of 1,207 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Pasta, Chowder
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Essex, UK
“Pretty location, average food, annoyingly expensive.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Whilst not exactly bad, our meal at this restaurant during a recent visit to Venice was at the same time by some distance the least impressive and yet the most expensive. Set some way back from the main San Zaccaria waterfront down a side canal, the restaurant has a pretty location. Service was attentive until we had ordered (less so from that point), and after we had our apperitifs the head waiter gave us the hard sell for a fresh turbot ("he only had one fish') - as it was our last night and my wife adores fish, we agreed. (Stangely we overheard the same waiter make the same 'only one fish' pitch to four other sets of diners, two of who also ordered turbot !!) Now when you do agree to something like this, you do (or should) know in advance that it's not going to be cheap so the bill wasn't a surprise, but it would be nice if the food was done well. Unfortunately at this restaurant, average is seemingly the name of the game. Our bill for two aperitifs, two starters from the a la carte menu (neither of which was very good), the aforesaid fish, two deserts (dreadful panacotta and a wonderful zabaillone) a bottle of Prosecco and a bottle of water was Euro 180 inclusive of service, which as mentioned above was by a distance the worst value and overall the least impressive food we found (and we ate both on the waterfront, and at some of the well-reviewed establishments). One to avoid.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

61% Recommend
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A very poor choice despite the lovely setting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We know Venice is not a city known for its gastronomic delights at a reasonable price, however, my husband and I never expected a meal of such appalling quality as we were served in this restaurant. I ordered a set meal. The pasta was served in a thick, cloying tomato sauce with a few dried up mussels that looked as if they were straight from a tin (I never did spot the clams). The main course was a small piece of fish in the same tomato sauce minus the mussels but with the addition of a few olives. The accompanying salad comprised of a few dry, iceberg lettuce leaves. Finally for desert, a slice of creme caramel with sugar crystals on top. I'm not a fusspot but I really couldn't eat it. The worst meal I've had anywhere - truly!

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Surrey
“Lovely setting by canalside, friendly service and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Apart from forgetting our order for a pre-dinner Kir Royale, the waiting staff were friendly and helpful. Plenty of choice on the menu with lots of fresh seafood and very pleasant to sit by canal. Obligatory accordion player came to sing but all helped the mood.

Visited June 2013
Reading, United Kingdom
“Don't be fooled by the location. ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

On arriving in venice my husband and I walked past this gorgeous looking canal side restaurant. I was sold in the location, so on our last night we decided to dine here. Big mistake and a waste of our precious last evening in Venice. The service was apalling and the food a joke! I ordered lasagne, which came out warm(ish), the presentation was non existant just a lump of food that you could clearly see had been unwrapped from the clingfilm and microwaved. I couldnt eat it. Such a disapointment. We were made to feel very uncomfortable as the waiters clearly wanted to finish for the day and cleared up around us, it was only 10.15pm on a saturday evening. We too had been overcharged on the 'service charge'.

Gladstone, Australia
“Lawry our waiter made a great feed Benisimo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

After my loving wife had me lost in the magic of Venezia, it was time for some vino and a feed. We walked past the Grand Canal and thought there wouldn't be much better then this view, but we'd noticed in Rome that often the dining out was best a little way down an alley just of the "tourist drag".
This little resteraunt is paired right next door to another just ove a little bridge and right on a canal.

We thought the menu looks good and seeing this is surpose to be the seafood capitol of Italy best not have the saltimbocca tonight.

To say the choices above were good is an understatement.
On the bottom of the menu card was the chef recommends, well if he cooks it and recommends it it should be good.
My wifes first course was the scallops and mine was the Black squid ink pasta. Both were dishes I'd had in Australia and I must admit the Squid ink at Lindoni's Noosa, is one of my most favoured Italian dishes.
Our seconds were Spaghetti “Conchiglia” or as aussies call it "pasta marinara"; and their "Fish". Those dishes alone justify a 5 star rating, but then the waiter, "Lawry" as he became known made what was already a memorable occasion just Molto Bennisimo / Top Notch.
I hope that he gets the oportunity to read this as he made our night, we still joke about it now and we ate at 24 differnet restaruants in 10 days and it is a stand out.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ConchigliaVenezia, Cameriere Loris at Ristorante alla Conchiglia, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice words, it's make me very happy.
I would like every customers like you.
You and your wife are really top notch :)

Loris