“Don't be fooled by the location. ” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #620 of 1,193 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Pasta, Chowder
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Reading, United Kingdom
“Don't be fooled by the location. ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

On arriving in venice my husband and I walked past this gorgeous looking canal side restaurant. I was sold in the location, so on our last night we decided to dine here. Big mistake and a waste of our precious last evening in Venice. The service was apalling and the food a joke! I ordered lasagne, which came out warm(ish), the presentation was non existant just a lump of food that you could clearly see had been unwrapped from the clingfilm and microwaved. I couldnt eat it. Such a disapointment. We were made to feel very uncomfortable as the waiters clearly wanted to finish for the day and cleared up around us, it was only 10.15pm on a saturday evening. We too had been overcharged on the 'service charge'.

Gladstone, Australia
“Lawry our waiter made a great feed Benisimo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

After my loving wife had me lost in the magic of Venezia, it was time for some vino and a feed. We walked past the Grand Canal and thought there wouldn't be much better then this view, but we'd noticed in Rome that often the dining out was best a little way down an alley just of the "tourist drag".
This little resteraunt is paired right next door to another just ove a little bridge and right on a canal.

We thought the menu looks good and seeing this is surpose to be the seafood capitol of Italy best not have the saltimbocca tonight.

To say the choices above were good is an understatement.
On the bottom of the menu card was the chef recommends, well if he cooks it and recommends it it should be good.
My wifes first course was the scallops and mine was the Black squid ink pasta. Both were dishes I'd had in Australia and I must admit the Squid ink at Lindoni's Noosa, is one of my most favoured Italian dishes.
Our seconds were Spaghetti “Conchiglia” or as aussies call it "pasta marinara"; and their "Fish". Those dishes alone justify a 5 star rating, but then the waiter, "Lawry" as he became known made what was already a memorable occasion just Molto Bennisimo / Top Notch.
I hope that he gets the oportunity to read this as he made our night, we still joke about it now and we ate at 24 differnet restaruants in 10 days and it is a stand out.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ConchigliaVenezia, Cameriere Loris at Ristorante alla Conchiglia, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice words, it's make me very happy.
I would like every customers like you.
You and your wife are really top notch :)

Loris
Laurel, Maryland
“Canal side dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I came here with five other travel partners without reservations. We were able to sit at a table right along the canal. We decided on this place because most of the restaurants along the grand canal are tourist traps offering bad food at high prices; Conchiglia is a great option if you would like to eat on the water. The restaurant is located minutes away from St. Marks but you would never know it since it is on a nice quiet street away from the huge crowds.

Everyone in our group was pleased with their meals. We ordered several anti pasa dishes to pass around prior to ordering our main courses, all of which were very good. I ended up ordering the seafood lasagna...excellent! We ended the evening with a round of Venitian Spritz!

I have seen several complaints about the prices of drinks and will share what the owner of the B&B shared with us (after we told him how much the Spitz were.) Yes, have some wine with dinner but go to a bar/caffe or entoeca afterwards for drinks to save money.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago
“E pluribus, unum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

In a city where seafood restaurants are very common, and many are very good, this family owned gem truly does stand out as one among many. I have been coming here for years.The care in service taken by the family and staff is doting and the typical Venetian menu is artfully and skillfully presented. The wine list is moderate in size but extremely varied and most importantly the food is outstanding.
Antipasti are in abundance; pasta/risotto dishes too are well represented and very well executed. The true stars of the menu are, however, the various seafood dishes. Perhaps the best of these-although not an easy choice to make-may well be the rombo (turbot) Veneziana, a whole turbot best enjoyed by two persons due to size, prepared in the oven with a delectable sauce with potatoes, olives, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. If one can breathe after this and a first course the dessert menu is no less masterfully executed, with tiramisu done very nicely indeed as well as cheese plates and other traditional and seasonal offerings.
In a city where walking directions often defy description,, this one is easy to find as well. Simply make your way to Ponte dei Greci-easily recognized by the Greek flag flying over the canal-turn so that the Greek flag is on your right, and Ristorante alla Conchiglia will be 50 meters ahead of you. Buon appetito!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Loughborough
“Nice Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We found this restaurant by chance whilst walking round the narrow streets of Venice, it is alongside one of the many canals and I suspect in the warmer months it would be lovely to sit outside by the side of the canal. However, the weather was a liitle to cool so we sat inside, the staff were really friendly and the food was very good, we were given a small a drink when we arrived and unusually the bread an and bread sticks which are put on the table when we arrived were not added to our bill. The prices vary on what you choose to eat but it was not overly expensive. A very nice place well worth a try.

• Visited March 2013