“Canal Side Dinner” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ristorante Alla Conchiglia

Ristorante Alla Conchiglia
Fondamenta S. Lorenzo no 4990 - 91 | Venezia, 30122 Venice, Italy (Castello)
+39.041.52.89095
Neighborhood: Castello
London, United Kingdom
“Canal Side Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We ate here in order to enjoy dinner sitting along the canal, which provided a nice and unique environment. It is tucked away off of a small street several blocks from St Marks, so it takes some searching to find.

We ordered the €17 fixed price menu, which provided more food than we needed. The dessert left something to be wanted, but everything else was good. Overall, decent value for the money considering you get to eat next to the canal...a must do experience in Venice!

1 Thank JubilantBeggar

Watford, United Kingdom
“Pleasant but average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Nicely situated alongside a canal we enjoyed a pleasant lunch with good service. Nothing special to tempt us back though.

1 Thank happytourist44
NYCARCH01
“BEWARE DELIBERATE OVERCHARGING ON BILL”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was attracted to the restaurant which offered canal-side tables with the occasional gondola drifting by. To be fair, the food was decent, reasonably priced and the service was attentive. However, all of that was quickly spoiled when I got my bill. For a start, although I was dining alone, the bill listed the 'coperto' ('cover charge') for two. When I pointed this out, the waiter, without flinching, promptly adjusted the bill (suggesting he was half-expecting it to be noticed). On examining the revised bill, I noticed that the 'servizio' (service charge) was calculated at 17% even though the menu listed it as 12%. I pointed out this second error tro the waiter who again, faked embarrassment, and corrected the bill for the second time. As I finished my glass of wine, two couples at the next table were reviewing their bill. I related my experience and ... surprise, surprise .... they too were charged the 'servizio' at 17%. Clearly this is a management policy, and they hope their guests will not do the math. I hope someone in authority Venice will investigate and penalize the restaurant for their rip-off policies. But I would not recomment patronizing a restaurant that deliberately seeks to cheat their customers.

• 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank NYCARCH01
Winter Haven, Florida
“Good Meal, Excellent Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Ordered from the tourist menu, which included first play, second plate and dessert. We all thought the food was good and sitting right on the water as we dined was wonderful. Food prices were consistent with other restaurants, but prices for beer was a bit high. Service was typically "Italian"....wait staff doesn't hover over you, but are there when you signal them. Overall, we enjoyed our dining experience!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Linda F
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
“As expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Food was good but found the staff to be non-attentive. The location was nice beside the canal which is why we picked it but there are so many choices that I would not go back.

Visited August 2012