“Great Pizza” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ristorante Bagolo

Ristorante Bagolo
Campo San Giacomo dell' Orio, Campo San Giacomo dell’Orio, 1584 30135 Venezia Venice, Italy (San Croce)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #477 of 1,216 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian, Chowder
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: San Croce
“Great Pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Strolled into this gem. We had two pizzas, Diablo and the KO pizza. Both were made perfectly. The square this restaurant is in made the restaurant even more enjoyable. Very local feel and around 4:00pm the children all meet and play in this vast square for almost two hours. Parents share stories, children laughing, dogs walking, birds flying, great location. The food was fantastic, left completely satisfied. Great price too, paid 26€ for two pizza, liter of water and draft beer.

Santa Monica, California
“Our favorite restaurant in Venice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were so fortunate to have found a lovely B&B in this campo and to have tried this restaurant. We liked it so much we ate there every night we were in Venice. Our waiter,Gabriel, was so nice and warm and welcoming...we felt like family there after a couple of trips. Food is excellent and so charming to sit outside in the campo watching the children, dogs and young couples play and have fun, while enjoying our excellent meal. This is a great area, away from the bustling crowds in San Marco and Rialto...a must see!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, Florida
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Good food several seafood dishes. Good pastas. Great location Staff was friendly and helpful making recommendations on the best dishes. Outdoor and indoor dining areas.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Silver Spring, MD
“Decent food, poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Ate here tonight after we couldn't get a table at La Zucca (this place probably gets a lot of La Zucca cast-offs.) We elected to eat outside since -- at the time -- it wasn't too cold. My husband had lasagna pesce and I had veggie soup. The food was decent,but the service was the least attentive we've had in 2 weeks in Italy! By the time we got the waitress' attention, the night was growing cold and we wanted to move inside. No tables available inside, so we moved ourselves to a table closer to a heat lamp. Normally we'd ask before doing this, but getting the staff's attention was hopeless. Our somnambulant waitress didn't notice the move until she finally brought the food. We tried to explain, but she gave us the cold shoulder throughout the rest of our meal and we ended up with another server. I foolishly decided to get a hot chocolate after the meal -- it was tasty but took another half hour to produce. The service was just slow and disorganized - we ended up dealing w/ two waiters and the owner just to get our bill paid. I truly think the only reason we finally got our check was because they were taking in the outdoor seating! Anyway, there are way too many good places to eat in Venice to waste your time here.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Years later, still a fab place. Loved it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

If you've been to Venice before, you may have noticed the strange vibe that seems to exist: the locals and many local businesses have this feeling that they are exhausted by the tourists - there's a brittleness there. And I can see why: with up to 100,000 people a day visiting the island in high season, including cruise ships dumping thousands of people into the island each day, well... it would be hard to live in a place that has turned into a theme park, when it's actually one of the most beautiful cities in the world. So on return trips, you'll find yourself wanting to find off-the-beaten-path places where it feels more authentic and less exhausted. And this is one of those.

I visited this restaurant a few years back - probably around 2004? - after seeing it listed in a resource guide of gay-friendly places in Venice. (Note: it's not a gay bar or restaurant, I think it's more of a hip/local/young-ish place where locals can feel at home no matter what your preference is). It also has the benefit of sitting right on my favorite campo in Venice, San Giacomo dell' Orio. You will rarely find tourists here, and if you do, they'll be the types who've been here before. The square is always filled with locals, or students from the nearby university. It's quiet: it's friendly. And it is far, far away from the crush of tourists on the island, yet only a few blocks inland from the San Stae vaporetto stop. The setting is perfect for sitting outside, but the inside is also really cozy and charming but still quite modern. It's the kind of place where you can strike up a conversation with the person at the table next to you: it's friendly and open. More welcoming and warm than most places in Venice.

Food is good here and reliable. Service is always friendly and happy, and if you can speak a little Italian, even moreso! I remember my very first time here, and I had seen people drinking something called an Aperol Spritz. I asked the bartender what it was, in my broken Italian, and he made one right on the spot, set it in front of me with a smile, and said, "Prova." ("Try it.) I was hooked. But that was also a nice indication of what this place was like. I was so happy to discover, just a few days ago when I was there for lunch, that the same vibe prevails. And if you want to change things up a bit there are also a few other good restaurants on this campo, and it makes a great launching point for discovering this area of Venice. It's an oasis. Add it to your map, and do at least stop in here for a drink. You will leave happy.

• Visited September 2013