“great find in Venice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli

You added Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli to your Saves list
Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Santa Croce, San Stae, 2070, 30135 Venice, Italy (San Polo)   |
Ranked #118 of 383 Hotels in Venice
Los Angeles, California
“great find in Venice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is a great hotel that reminded us more of a luxury apartment building (no restaurant or shop in the hotel). It is quiet and beautiful with a water taxi stand through the lobby, and is only a couple of stops on the water bus from the train and bus stations. The concierges were extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Bonus: our room had a bathtub!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Korean first
welwyn garden city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed for two nights before the start of our cruise. We arrived by water taxi from the airport to the hotel jetty the cost was 110 euros but worth it. The hotel is on the grand canal,the area around the hotel was really lovely not to touristy with some nice restaurants. The hotel staff were really helpful and friendly especially the reception. Our room was in the attic and was really nice we had no view which would have made it perfect but we didn't spend much time in the room .Venice is wonderful and I'm sure we will return and would book this lovely hotel again .

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights in the hotel and enjoyed the experience. The room overlooked the Grand Canal, 100 metres from the San Stae vaporetta station. It was not large, but was well furnished and with all the facilities we needed. The staff were always on duty and helpful in dealing with queries and offering advice. The Continental breakfast was served in a small
but pleasant dining room again by pleasant helpful staff. The only problem that we experienced related to wi-fi reception which was poor in the room but fine on the ground floor. If I return to Venice I will stay in this hotel and recommend it to others.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I recently stayed here with my wife. We stayed in room 102 which was fairly small for the money we paid but moden in seciration with exposed ceiling beams. My wife as u donlooked around thd room when we arrived and was like wow look a wet room style shower we dhould get this at home. however afer using the dtupid thing it litterly was a wet room and flooded our bsthroom each time we used it which lead to all the towela being used to dry out tge floor. our room was overlooking the Beautiful courtyard. However we literally didn't sleep the entire trip. If someone was having a conversation in the garden or we could hear every word. When they smoked our room stunk if we had the window open. And I'm not sure who or if there's any insulation between rooms but I thought the people in the room above were going to come through the roof. I'm seriously not one to complain but I had to after it was effecting my wife's sleep which isn't good. The hotel staff did try to promptly move us but we were going home in 2 days and my wife refused to pack again to unpack etc. Breakfast was shocking!! Bread rolls, cheese, ham, yogurts and cake. Hot consisted of scrambled egg & very streaky beacon that's it. The coffee was terrific but that's it, we had to get breakfast else where.

• Stayed September 2013
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

On booking online we only had the choice of 1 standard and 1 superior room options. So I opted to pay the extra $100 for that but my friends that didn't pay the extra received this double upgrade to a suite and we were placed in a fairly nicely decorated room with a small canal view which every morning woke up to the noise of the boats pulling into and leaving the stop right next to the hotel. Part of the floor was crumbling near the step up to the bathroom and my son happened to step on a screw left on the floor. Hotel was full and they couldn't change our room. Total cost of room also ended up $200 AU more than first quoted on booking.com because we didn't have to pay for hotel until check out and then the rate had changed would have been better to pay when booked to save but it wasn't available. Wifi is also a charge for each item using it not for the room with a couple of phones or iPad etc. they were accommodating when I queried it and reception allowed another I'd pass to use for the other phone. Overall still a beautiful Hotel which apparently is 500 years old but beautifully presented.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Nozio

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We arrived at Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli in August for an extra day after our 2 week cruise was over and fell in love with the beauty of this hotel. We had arrived at the front with a private water taxi and were so excited to stay at a nice hotel, especially because it was for our honeymoon. We arrived at 11 am and the front desk staff let us know our room wasn't ready, which was okay (and normally happens when you arrive before 2 pm). The man took our luggage and we were off to explore the city with our tour guide. When we came back at 6 pm, we had to stand around at the desk to wait for the only staff member at the front desk to take time from whatever he was doing on the computer to pay attention to us. He then said "yes?" We told him we were back to check into our room and I gave him our name. He said "okay" and then nothing. I had to tell him we needed a key and to know where our room was. After that was squared away we walked to our room on the first floor. The porter opened the room for us and I wanted to leave our luggage by the closet, but he told us if we didn't put our bags onto the furniture piece next to the closet (looked like a desk or something) we would not be able to walk around. Hmm.. I then looked around the room and noticed how extremely small it was. The bed looked like it just fit inside of it. So we stacked our bags and decided not to let it bother us. Next my husband decided to take a shower. This bathroom was for disabled people (which is fine, but we are not disabled and would have liked an actually shower/bath tub/shower curtain/anything). It was impossible to take a shower without covering the whole room with water, which is a major safety hazard especially with all the marble. We were unable to clean up all the water because we only had two towels. Again we said not to let it bother us, we could just let it air dry as best as possible.

Now the situation that tipped us over the scale that really made us upset happened in the middle of the night (about midnight). We had a very early flight the next day so we decided to go to bed early (about 11). Awhile sleeping, someone came into our room! I have never been so scared before because you don't know if it is a staff member, a crazy person, your imagination goes crazy. My husband quickly yelled get out, and the person shut the door. He then got out of bed to see what was going on. Here it was a staff member who didn't think we were inside because we were never checked in. How can you not be checked into a room with a card key and everything!? The rest of the night was ruin because I couldn't sleep, too scared someone would come in again. That you can not forgive because you pay good money to have a safe quiet place to sleep and when a hotel, which is a service, doesn't provide this I would never recommend it to others. I'm glad others have had a great stay, and others will have a great stay after us, but I cannot personally say to stay here because I will not ever again.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay on the first floor. Make sure you are actually checked in (yes double checking with a ho...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Visited Venice in July, first of all not at all smelly! If people have told you that Venice smells in the summer...ignore! One of the most breathtakingly beautiful places I have been to.
Palazzo Giovanelli has a great location. Took us less than an hour to get there by the water bus from the airport. Orange line to San Stae (€25 return, tickets available in airport and at the waterbus station). This stop brings you literally to the hotel, cross the little bridge on your left and take the first left - quite easy to find! The hotel is very classy, unfortunately a little snobby while we were there, as a young couple the older guests did seem snooty. Short walk to Rialto bridge and about half an hour to St Mark's square, but a very pleasant walk.
Our room was made up every day and immaculately clean. The bathroom was beautiful. Sky tv...not that we spent much time indoors.
The hotel offer a variety of trips, the tour of Ancient Venice with a lady called Louisella was really great, and very reasonably priced. DO NOT take a gondola tour from the hotel, they charge €100 (which is just a little over the going rate), if you have the money then great go for it...we however chose the option of sharing a gondola with other people paying €30 for the pair of us for half an hour - obviously a must do in Venice, but doesn't have to cost you a fortune.
The only let down...the breakfast. The first morning we didn't quite grasp the hour ahead, so went down to breakfast at 9:45 when it finishes at about half 10...there was nothing left and we ended up eating at a cafe. The next two mornings we made sure to get there earlier, very limited selection. The hot breakfast isn't at all appealing...
Staff were all very friendly. Beautiful garden at the back of the hotel to sit in during the evening. Only drawback of the rooms is the lack of windows!!
Venice is beautiful and you can't go wrong with this hotel - we loved our weekend there.

(We got a deal on travel republic paying £450 for three nights)

Room Tip: Be cheeky and ask for a canal view ... don't ask don't get!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli? Share your experiences!