“You scream for Ice cream” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gelateria Alaska

Gelateria Alaska
Calle Larga dei Bari, 1159 | Santa Croce, 30135 Venice, Italy (San Croce)
+39-041-715211
Improve this listing
Ranked #530 of 1,209 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Ice Cream
Neighborhood: San Croce
Neighborhood: San Croce
“You scream for Ice cream”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Being a fiend for ice cream, I made it a mission to try as many gelato as possible in Venice. Alaska was a regular stop, as the flavours here are unique (celery and salad?!) and subtle too. The chap serving appears to live in his tiny shop as it seemingly never shuts, and was very friendly too politely replying to my terrible Italian. I really liked this ice cream as it was so different to everywhere else and it tastes like natural ingredients which the owner s very proud of, not fake lime green pistachio madness.

Visited May 2013

71% Recommend
  • Polish first
Dordrecht, The Netherlands
“How do they come up with these flavors?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I had a celery and ppear cone on my first night in Venice. A large portion for a very reasonable price. The only disappointing thing was the lack of other exciting weird flavors at this time of the night. Still good enough to visit again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“disappointing gelato”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was really looking forward to eating good gelato in Venice. My Italian tour guide told me about Alaska, so my expectation was high. I ordered 3 scoops of gelato, but the portion was so small and it looked so different from the image on the menu. The taste was ok, but I should have gone to other gelateria.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Best gelataria in Venice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Our hotel happened to be quite close to this gelataria and having read very good reviews about it in several guide books, decided to give it a go. The nuccialo and cioccolato flavours are my favourite. The missus loved the fruity ones. Made with real fruit she said.
Returned the next day and the day after that :)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Secaucus, New Jersey
“Worth the Journey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and made a trip from Dorsodoro all the way to Alaska after reading about it in "100 Places in Italy Every Woman Should Go" by Susan Van Allen.

Initially we were dismayed because it was closed when we arrived, but we returned after lunch and it was worth the wait. The single best flavor of gelato we had during our three-week trip to Italy was the pistachio gelato at Alaska. The flavors explode out of Alaska's gelato like no other place we tried.

Thankfully, we didn't stay closer to Alaska or I may have never left Venice.

• Visited September 2012