“Gourmet” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Il Ridotto

Il Ridotto
Castello 4509, 30122 Venice, Italy (San Marco)
39 041 5208280
Neighborhood: San Marco
Tel Aviv
“Gourmet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We had the fish tasting menu. Beautiful presentation, sophisticated great tastes, good wine list and high quality service. Price was also right. Our best meal in Venice and we only ate at quality restaurants.

Visited June 2013

86% Recommend
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Wish I knew about Il Ridotto earlier!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

If I did, I probably would have eaten here more often...possibly every single evening of my stay in Venice! Pity I only discovered this small little restaurant (10 tables, at the most?) on the last day of my stay in Venice. It was my foodie friend who brought me there because she'd tried it on her last visit and enjoyed the food tremendously. We did not have a reservation, as we were playing things by ear on our last full day in Venice, so we walked in around 6:45 and asked if they had a table for 2. They did, but we would have to vacate by 9pm. No problem!

The food was amazing. We were presented with a delicious amuse bouche made with a creamy pea paste and topped with seafood. Squid features quite a bit in their dishes, I noticed. The starter of seafood with vegetables was so beautifully presented, it was a work of art. My dining companion and I spent a good 10 minutes just admiring the composition of colours, shapes and textures before digging in rather regretfully. Full marks for the pairing of flavours! I had the tubetti dish for my main, which is their house specialty pasta. It's tiny little tubes cooked in fish stock, and served with diced squid. The pasta was wonderful - al dente, which is how I like it - and the stock was simply amazing. For dessert, I had the creme brulee in grapefruit soup with a dash of ice-cream. Very interesting combination of flavours, and the fruit soup kept the creme brulee from being too cloying. Some parts of the creme brulee were charred a little too much for my liking, leaving a distinctly bitter taste in the mouth, but otherwise, the explosion of colours and tastes on that plate was positively spirited.

Prices - reasonable and fair, when you consider that a lot of the other tourist restaurants in the vicinity charge about the same for more standard fare, which doesn't come close to the verve and care of presentation and cooking at Il Ridotto. A 3 course dinner was around 50 euros per person (without wine).

Service was charming and attentive, though they lost it a little towards the end when the restaurant started to fill up. Took awhile for us to get the waiters' attention to order our desserts and ask for the bill, but otherwise no other complaints about the service. They made up for it when we left the restaurant - very friendly and attentive. Will definitely re-visit on my next trip to Venice and will recommend to all my friends and family!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Great, until the end”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I wanted to give Il Ridotto 5 stars. But they didn't "close the deal"

This restaurant is located in a small square, not far from St. Mark's. We made a reservation on-line for 9:30pm, and were promptly seated at an outside table.

The food was incredibly good. We were given a small amuse bouche & the staff offered us an aperitif. We started with perfectly cooked scampi in cauliflower puree (me) and octopus with fava (my husband). Our mains were the baccala with lentils (me) and squid ink pasta with sea urchin (my husband). All was wonderful & perfectly cooked.

But after dessert, they completely forgot about us! We sat for 20-25 minutes, and were never offered coffee or an after dinner drink. 3 of the staff members were chatting at the desk, and ignoring everyone outside. It would have been so easy to leave without paying the bill. Finally, my husband goes into the restaurant to pay the bill, and our waiter struggles to remember what we ordered!

Food - I give a 5
Service - unfortunately, I give a 3 because of the end of the meal

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
london
“Modern, with great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stumbled across this lovely restaurant in an area near St Marco in an area otherwise devoid of anywhere good to eat (other then the fun and good value Trattoria alla Rivetta). Modern, smart with only about 8/9 tables. Charming staff. Very good food, especially the fish and the puddings. Fare value as well.. Recommended.

Visited April 2013
“Go for it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Cool decor. Intimate space. Very modern ( a fairly rare commodity in venice!) gorgeous Murano glass water tumblers. But, not a natural explorer when it comes to my food I was a little nervous in choosing the "taster" menu recommended - but it was absolutely delicious. Every one of the 5 little plates i thoroughly enjoyed and was full to bursting by the end of the meal. There is a choice of "sea" or "earth" tasting menus; I chose the latter, but all my friends chose the sea and loved every course. Be bold, go with the flow!

• Visited March 2013