“Very good, no frills” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Al 40 Ladroni

Al 40 Ladroni
Cannaregio, 3253, 30121 Venice, Italy (Cannaregio)
+39 041 715736
Improve this listing
Ranked #528 of 1,196 Restaurants in Venice
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Cannaregio
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Very good, no frills”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We were recommended this restaurant by our hotel. It is situated by a canal with canal-side seating and a very nice paved garden through the back.
You get decent food well cooked and nothing fancy. There is nothing pretentious here and the food is basic and as described on the menu, no frills but well cooked and quite delicious. We went the whole way with all courses and then liqueurs and coffe and paid Eur85 which we thought was not TOO bad.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sydney, Australia
“Lovely food, nice staff and well priced. I will return.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I spent a few days in Canneregio, Venice. Mid-afternoon I stopped a lady who was carrying her groceries home, to ask for recommendations on where I should eat that night. She said 40 Ladroni had nice food at a reasonable price.

Later that day I rocked up, and was seated by the canal. My waiter was friendly and no-nonsense :) As is usual in Italy, I was immediately brought some bread, and my ordered beverage.

Over the course of a few days I ate here several times. I sampled a few of the items on the menu, and a few off-menu when I asked my waiter to 'surprise me'. I was never disappointed, the only let-down was an tight waist-band :) Whatever fish and seafood I ate seemed fresh and healthful, the wine appropriate and the deserts indulgent. The pasta is also very good. But you're in Venice, not some silly 'Italian' restaurant in your home town, so order something regional! Go on, live on the edge!

I am Australian, so I believe a tip is appropriate to reward nice food and good service. Although there was a 2 euro service charge on my bills, my waiter, on more than one occasion, asked me to pay less the amount on the bill. I never did, but I appreciate the offer all the same.

Perhaps it is in part because I speak Italian, but I found that I was given free digestives and home-made chocolate after my meals :) Or some small delight sent by the kitchen, or my waiter. I noted the same didn't apply to the obnoxious Americans sitting next to me lol.

People in this region I found were fair and helpful, and always trying to help me save money with useful tips. Service standards are good, but know what you want and don't expect your waiter to hang around for 10 mins while you make up your mind.

The garden area is lovely, and there are some friendly neighborhood cats who pop around to rub on your legs and surprise you.

Speak basic Italian (use your guide books if you have to), be friendly, and warm, compliment the food if you practically licked the plate clean. And SMILE from the inside!

Your experience in Veneto region is rewarded by some of the nicest people you'll meet anywhere.

"See Venice and Die" - Herbert Nehrlich

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Good local food in a lovely garden terrace”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We had our final meal in Venice at 40 Ladroni last Saturday night after having popped in a couple of days before for a lunchtime spritz and checked out the lovely garden terrace. At lunchtime it was very quiet and most of the folk dining seemed to be builders from a development just down the canal - we took this to be a good sign and so it turned out.

We turned up without booking at around 8pm and despite being pretty busy we were soon found a table for two. If you don't fancy the garden out back there are three tables at the front by the canal but you will need to book these well in advance.

Despite, or perhaps because of, a fairly heavy night the previous evening at Harry's Bar we were pretty ravenous so we decided to start with a primo plate each and then move on to a secondo. The pasta dishes here need to be ordered for two according to the menu, although perhaps a chat with the friendly waiting staff could get you a dish for one. We had the gnocchi with a crab and tomato sauce which was well cooked and very tasty - just the thing to get you back on your feet after one too many cocktails the night before.

The second courses proved more difficult as the first couple of fish dishes we attempted to order were not available (better that than offering up a frozen alternative as many places seem to do). After much debate we went with some grilled jumbo prawns, mixed fried fish, a salad and for the first times in over a week some frites. All very tasty, particularly the fried mixed fish which came in a lovely light "batter" - a mix of squid, anchovies, scampi and baby shrimp.

The wine list at 40 Ladroni while not being a stand out in terms of the choice is really great value for Venice. We had a very nice bottle of local Sauvignon which was 12€.

As usual we had no room for dessert but we managed a quick coffee which came with some nice complementary chocolates on the side.

We liked 40 Ladroni and it was a good place for a final meal in Venice. While the menu and cooking is nothing to write home about  it's still efficient and effective. What this place really has going for it, which sets it apart from the crowd, is the garden terrace and the value for money it offers - both of which can be in short supply in Venice.

Visited June 2012
Burke, VA
“Great food, somewhat irratic service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We found this restaurant by accident. The crowd was large and we were lucky to get a table. Food was EXCELLENT and quite sufficient. The waiter serving the canal side of the restaurant was way overtaxed working by himself and ultimately became irritated as we were trying to pay and leave. I suspect he was just exhausted but he should not have been short with us. I'd go back but with a reservation to allow us to sit in the courtyard and not on the canal.

Visited May 2012
Geneva, Switzerland
“The best cuttlefish pasta ever !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Sea food is amazing is this restaurant and you can eat in a nice and quiet terrace...a gem !

Visited May 2012