“Not a tourist trap, but close” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Al Burchiello

Al Burchiello
Campo S. Maria Formosa No. 5854, Centro Storico | Castello, 30122 Venice, Italy (San Marco)
39 0415228989
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,066 of 1,196 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: San Marco
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Not a tourist trap, but close”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The good:
- You can sit on a nice square
- The service was reasonably quick

The bad:
- The drinks were hugely expensive
- The staff was not very friendly
- The pizza wasn't very good, and expensive

We were very hungry and chose this place more at less at random, and would not come back, as we have had much better eating experiences in Venice.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Montreal, Canada
“Italy's worst restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We ate at several places during our two week stay in Italy. This was by far the worst. Incredibly bad food. My pizza's crust was so hard that it could have doubled as a hubcap. The service was despicable. We could have walked away from our table without paying while going unnoticed. So much so that after 15 minutes, I had to go inside to ask for the bill. But even then, it took another 10 minutes to get that bill.

Avoid. At. All. Costs.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Wellington, New Zealand
“Total tourist rip off-- Avoid!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

I was at that point wandering through Venice where my feet hurt, and I was ready for lunch. I'd just escaped (I thought) the throngs of tourists, and when i stopped to check out the menu here, they opened their doors and I was dumb enough to step in.
First thing, as a solo diner, even though the place was empty, they tried to chuck me in the back near the toilets.
When I managed to wrangle an uncomfortable table by a front window (and the place never did fill up), it got even more annoying. The overpriced menu became even less inspiring, and finally I ordered the tortellini with cream and ham and a side of spinach. With a half bottle of wine which cost me nearly double what I'd pay anywhere else on my trip, plus a hefty coperito, which was entirely unearned in my opinion.
The spinach was ok, but the tortellini was handily the worst pasta dish I had on my trip. The didn't bring me parmesean cheese until I asked for it.
The toilets could not be recommended.
The service was, to say the least, uninspiring.
AVOID !!!!!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Anniversary in Venice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Had a very enjoyable evening, chose the 3 course 22 euro menu. Food was very good, owner and staff were friendly, roaring fire made it very cossy, drinks were very reasonable.

Visited December 2012
Aachen, Germany
“bad service and tourist rip-off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We went there to pass time till the heavy rain stopped. We asked the waiter if they have cakes, he just shook his head and waved us out. We came back because the restaurant next door told us Al Burchiello does have cakes. We decided to order warm meals and saw there are indeed several cakes & pies in the fridge. So some of us ordered cakes ( 5 Euro per piece, more expensive than the cafes on St. Mark's square), some had warm meals. The food was bad but what angers us most is the prices for drinks. One glass of Beer costs 7 Euro! The unfriendly waiter left us the impression that he is poorly paid by the owner so he tries to annoy every unfortunate customer that walks in. Avoid this restaurant at all cost.

• Visited October 2012