“A Bit Over Rated” 3 of 5 stars
Review of A Beccafico

A Beccafico
San Marco 2801 | Campo Francesco Morosini / Santo Stefano, 30124 Venice, Italy (San Marco)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #222 of 1,215 Restaurants in Venice
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Local cuisine, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Marco
Description: Just accross the Ponte Ascedemia. Lovely and serean in a quiet pizza very near to Pizza San Marco. Wine not served by the glass - they open a bottle of wonderful house wine and only charge you for what you drink. Excellent friendly service and good food.
San Francisco, California
“A Bit Over Rated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife and I went here for dinner while vacationing and the food was good but nothing special to write home about or go out of your way for. Granted we live in the "Bay Area" of NorCal so we have an abundance of great restaurants available to us on a regular basis, so maybe that has something to do with not being that impressed. We ate outside which was very pleasant, I didn't perceive the wait staff to be that friendly or attentive and the overall service was just ok. The menu definitely had a number of good selections. We started off with wine, salads and appetizers. The salad tasted fresh and the apps were good. My wife had a seafood pasta dish as did I and they were both average to good but nothing special. Overall the experience was just OK and I think for the money you can definitely get better food and better service. I don't envision us eating here again if we return to Venice.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Washington
“Waiters working very hard in such heat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

The food was amazing, but the waitstaff I will forever remember as the guys who were so hot in the heat wave in August, but just working their tails off. I love Italian waiters!!!!
The wine was so good, I wanted to lick my glass. Of course, the surroundings didn't hurt either. This square was our absolute favorite place in Venice -- a sweet, quiet place after the tourist crush in the more crowded areas. The food was also great, I felt like it was a good recommendation from our staff at Hotel Becher.Would definitely go back.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mechelen, Belgium
“Excellent service & good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We spend a nice evening with our family in this restaurant. The service here is really excellent, the waiters are outstanding and do a great job in making every body feel very welcome.
Our first corses were really tastefull and delicious. Our main courses were a bit average. Wine was very good.
Overall a great place we recommend!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Excellent New Year's Eve feast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Finding a good restaurant for New Year's Eve is always difficult, but even harder in a foreign country. Finding a good restaurant for New Year's Eve in Venice, a city renowned for high prices and with a glut of mediocre eateries catering mostly to tourists, is next to impossible. Thankfully, this year we succeeded - and A Beccafico is the reason why.

When my girlfriend and I decided to spend NYE 2012/2013 in Venice, I set about finding the perfect venue for a New Year's meal. Tripadvisor was, as always, a key resource and I found A Beccafico mentioned on a number of forums, with people saying that it was particularly good for New Year. I emailed the restaurant and was sent a copy of the menu, which €170 pp for 7 courses including all wine and other drinks. This sounds like a lot, but compared to some Michelin star restaurants in London (which A Beccafico is definitely on a par with) this is a fairly reasonable price.

On arriving at the restaurant at 20.30, we were welcomed by staff and provided with a mimosa as a welcome drink. Most of the tables were full, although the restaurant is a fairly intimate venue with around 40 diners at any one time - a good atmosphere.

Following our welcome drink, the first of many courses arrived: the hot pastry stuffed with truffle and pear. This was absolutely delicious and full of flavour - I could quite happily have had another few of these. Next up was the fruit and white fish skewer with scampi and bread. This was also very good, although I'm not the biggest fan of raw fish. As with the first course, the presentation was excellent.

Following the two "appetisers", we were on to the starter, which was described as "filo pastry bag of shellfish on a pumpkin sauce". These were exquisite, one being some kind of crustacean (crab?) and the other almost certainly mussels. The pumpkin sauce was perfect and also good for dipping bread. The pasta course was next: a duo of pasta stuffed with fish and saffron sauce, and linguine with shrimps and toasted pistachio in citrus cream sauce. Both were wonderful and complimentary, whilst at the same time very different.

We were getting rather full by this stage, so a 20 minute break between courses was very welcome, as were the pallette cleansers of sorbet: lemon, mandarin and pineapple, each served in the frozen skin of the respective fruit. The pineapple was fantastic and the lemon a close second - interesting and deftly done.

The main courses followed shortly after - a hearty assiette comprising sea bass encrusted with sesame seeds, tuna steak with caramelized onion, and prawn with leek and sautéed artichoke heart. Each was different in its own way and provided a good reflection of just how versatile fish and Venetian cuisine can be. Unfortunately, by the time the dessert (a platter of cheesecake, strawberry mousse, chocolate torte and traditional cannoli) had arrived, we were truly stuffed - but still made a good attempt!

A short sidenote is worth mentioning here, which is the wine situation. When I received the menu from the restaurant I noted that the cost included wine and was supposedly "all inclusive", though I remained sceptical. I needed have been. When we arrived, the waiter asked us if we wanted white or red wine - we asked if we could have white for some course and red for others, and the staff were only too happy to help. In fact, we were brought a bottle of each! Both wines were truly excellent and far better than any house wine I have had before - the white was particularly good. However, the generosity with drinks did not end there - in addition to our welcome mimosas, we were also brought a glass of dessert wine with dessert, an entire bottle (!) of Limoncello, as well as a very strong liquorice flavoured liqueur.

By the time midnight rolled around, we had certainly eaten and drunk our fill. The staff came out with champagne for all remaining guests (several ill-advised diners had left early for the carnage that is San Marco on NYE) and had a glass each, and the chef and sous-chefs paraded out to a chorus of "Bravo!" from all of us. Toasting the New Year with the staff capped off a wonderful night - made all the better by the bill which, despite copious amounts of various drinks, was exactly what it promised to be at €170pp. For that price, the food (photos of which can be seen in the photo section of this review) was both plentiful and excellent.

So, in summary, A Beccafico is a fantastic place to spend New Year's Eve - I can't speak as to what dinner on a normal night would be like, but if the quality of the food and the atmosphere was only half as good it would still be an excellent choice for a meal in Venice.

Lastly, a special mention must go to the staff of A Beccafico - the food created by chef Angelo was delicious and immaculately presented, and the service and atmosphere provided by maitre d'hotel Alessandro and his staff made us feel at ease and extremely welcome. Indeed, as we were leaving he informed us that when we next come back to Venice, A Beccafico "will be as a second home to you" - a lovely touch. Highly recommended - we could not have had a more perfect evening.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“BOOK THIS RESTAURANT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We have been talking about this restaurant ever since we returned from Venice!! We shared the mussel soup which was like a thick and delicious tomato stew with a huge pizza too on that rose so it looked like a chefs hat- definetely a wow factor but so tasty too!! Our lobster mains were incredible and the service really is impeccable- cannot fault this place!!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere