“Fine for one night but wouldn't stay longer” 3 of 5 stars

You added Al Canal Regio to your Saves list
Al Canal Regio
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cannaregio, 3632/A, 30121 Venice, Italy (Cannaregio)   |
Ranked #192 of 383 Hotels in Venice
“Fine for one night but wouldn't stay longer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I think the varying reviews on here depend on whether you stay on the property or in one of their 'apartments' off site. We booked our room through lastminute.com not knowing what type of room we would get. It took a while to find the reception, find a tourist desk if you can as it is down a small alley and hard to find. When we got there the man at reception told us we were in an apartment off site and his colleague (who didn't speak english very well) took our bags and showed us to our room. It was about a five-ten minute walk away. The room was big - a sitting area, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom but it was pretty basic.

The shower filled with water and didn't drain for a while after, no shower curtain either. There was a half-empty bottle of pasta sauce left on the counter in the kitchen and the TV didn't work. We weren't in the room long as we only had one night in Venice but our sleep was pretty restless. My boyfriend was up almost all night fighting off mosquitoes to no avail as we woke up covered in bites. The window in the bedroom doesn't close and has no screen. It did the job for one night - not quite what we were expecting.

Room Tip: Make sure to book a room on location, not an apartment.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Venice, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I am about five months late in sharing my Al Canal Regio Hotel experience with everyone but, better late than never as they say! On two separate occasions in June of this year, I had to attend personal appointments in Venice. Naturally I needed to book accommodation so I started my search on www.booking.com, which is a site that I use all the time. I decided on the boutique hotel which is located in Il Sestière di Cannaregio. Cannaregio is one of the six districts of Venice and I have frequently stayed in this neighbourhood starting with my very first trip to Venice in December of 2011.

On my first stay at Al Canal Regio at the beginning of June, I had booked a standard double room (for 1 person) at a cost of 129.50 Euros per night VAT included. When I arrived and walked through the hotel entrance, I found myself in a small peaceful courtyard with the reception in a room to my right and the breakfast/lounge area to my left. I walked into the reception area and was greeted immediately. I checked in and was given a free upgrade to a superior canal view room. Two weeks later, on the second trip back to Venice in June, I had booked a standard double room again at a cost of 97.50 Euros per night VAT included and was given a free upgrade to stay in another superior canal view room.

It was such a nice surprise to be given this upgrade and I loved the canal view. The superior canal view rooms on both trips were located just off of the inside lounge area where the breakfast is served. When I walked into the hotel room on my first trip, the bathroom with shower was to my left with the living room area straight ahead. The room was modern with Venetian touches and had a gorgeous high wood beam ceiling. The windows were large and went straight up to the ceiling so it gave the room lots of light. The lounging/living room area had two Venetian chairs that faced a large flat screen TV. I utilized the table along the front of the window area and would sit and work on my laptop and enjoy the view and water traffic. I found the room to be quiet day and night and I loved the loft area bed. The mini bar was inside the wardrobe that you see in the photos and it was empty so I filled it with my own snacks and drinks.

The canal view room on the second trip had a different layout, but with the same high ceilings with wood beams and full large windows with that great view of the canal. I could almost high five the boaters that went by. This particular room had a full bathtub which I took full advantage of. The mini fridge was off to the side of the bed and I happily stocked it with my own drinks and snacks. This room was also quiet during the day and night.

The hotel website has fairly clear written directions for travel from the train station to the hotel. They might have missed one small turn, but I am also familiar with the area so I knew what to expect. I caught Vaporetto No. 1 and got off at the Ca’ D’Oro fermata (fermata = stop). The website also offers a map showing the location. I jotted the directions down and also used the mapping device on my phone to find the hotel. Just to note some of the streets are small and narrow so if you have never been to Venice you might not think that it is an actual street. I did get lost a couple of times but found the place. Venice has many narrow streets which for a newbie to the city, can make one feel like they are in a maze. There is no hotel restaurant but the hotel is very close to the Strada Nuova where one can walk and find several restaurants, Osteria’s and even a McDonald’s. The restaurants range from expensive to inexpensive. Most of the restaurants post their menus so you can see the prices. You can even find pizza to go starting at 2 Euros a slice and some of the pizza places sell kabobs. Because I am familiar with the area, I already knew that the Billa grocery store was very close to the hotel; in fact it was less than 5 minutes by foot. If I wanted to pick up croissants, snacks and drinks, this was where I would go.

There are also little bars along the Strada Nuova that offer espresso, cappuccino, spritz, wine, beer etc. and most offer inside or outside seating. One of my favourite little stops is at a kiosk-like outdoor stand called Frulalà. They sell fruit smoothies, yogurt with fresh fruit, smoothies with alcohol and my very favourite the spritz! I love the ambiance and the music they play. I discovered it on my first trip where I sat and enjoyed warm sangria on a cold clear December evening. There are a multitude of shops as well that sell clothing, purses, bath products, chocolate, sunglasses, lingerie, etc. You will also find a pharmacy and a Tobacco shop. The area is not as crazy busy as the San Marco and the Rialto areas and one can mingle with the locals.

If you have a laptop with you the hotel offers ADSL/Wi-Fi at a cost. I think I paid 8 euros for 24 hours. The connection was fast and reliable. As I mentioned already, there is no hotel restaurant but they serve breakfast. At the time of booking, I was given the option to add breakfast for 10 Euros but decided to pass, so I can not give feedback as to what they serve. The hotel closes and locks the main front door early in the evening but, they have an intercom at the door where one can buzz and staff are there to let you in immediately.

The hotel is about a 20 minute walk from San Marco or, you have the option of the catching the no. 1 vaporetto from the Ca’ D’Oro stop which will take you to the Rialto Market across the canal, or 2 stops further down to the Rialto bridge. You can stay on the No. 1 vaporetto and go further down the canal to San Marco. You can even walk to the Fondamente Nuove and catch a vaporetto to Murano or Burano island. I also want to mention that there is a special gondola that goes from Campo Santa Sofia across the Grand Canal to the Rialto fish market and San Polo area. The cost is only 50 eurocents. I’ve taken it!

As for the amenities, the TV (‘s) offer a variety of channels and all are in Italian. There are phones in the rooms but because I had my cell phone I did not use the in room phones. The rooms do not come with a kettle, tea or coffee maker. But there are so many bar and café choices in the area and there is a cooler in the reception area where one can purchase cold drinks.

The hotel staff were courteous and helpful when ever I had a question. In fact when I arrived back to the hotel after one of my appointments, my room was being cleaned. A staff member offered to make me a much-needed espresso while I waited. I sat in the hotel’s tranquil courtyard, sipped and re-charged. As for the cleaning, everything seemed fine to me, my room was cleaned each morning and stocked with fresh towels.

Overall my experience was great. I was comfortable, felt safe and I would stay here again. I have uploaded photos for viewing. Hope they help!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Durango, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Yuck. It took a long time to find this place - the directions on their website are inaccurate, and in Venice in order to find something directions need to be dead-on. We finally found it by following another group looking for the same property. I was willing to overlook the urine smelling, rat-feces -laden alleyway that lead us to the hotel as that is just the way Venice is...though if it were my hotel I would be sure to sweep up the area in front of my location. There was rat poop literally on the stoop of the hotel for the 4 days we were there...you had to avoid stepping in it.

The mgr. Marco picked up the key for room #2 and showed us the way, and to my dismay walked about 2 feet from the reception desk. He assured me it was quiet and wouldn't be a problem as it was a quiet hotel...he's obviously never stayed in the room, it was horrible. Aside from hearing every person who walks through the lobby, you hear breakfast being set up. Then there was the mold...I know it's Venice and things are wet and humid, but the bathroom was disgusting. It was BLACK mold, not just a hint of mold. There were puddles on the bathroom floor and obviously was a long-term problem as evidenced by the stains on the floor. This could have been partially solved by having a shower curtain - I don't know why they don't believe in shower curtains? It's not as if the design aesthetic is so grand it can get away without them. Then there was something on the mattress that I won't even begin to discuss.

The next morning we asked to be moved. With attitude, and telling me that no one has *ever* said his hotel was dirty, Marco upgraded us to a canal room (at water level-don't leave the windows open...seriously). It was better, a bit quieter, a little cleaner.

Breakfast was awful. The coffee wasterrible. Good coffee is almost a constant in Italy, but not here. They have a machine pumping out push-button cappuccinos, which can be OK if the coffee itself is good. This wasn't. I watched the same bruise on the only banana in the fruit bowl grow larger each of the 3 mornings we were there. Save your $10/person on "breakfast" and go to any cafe on Strada Nova and get your own coffee and cornetto.

The good thing about the hotel is it's location. It's steps from Strada Nova, around the corner from a Billa market. At the end of the alley is a fabulous restaurant where we enjoyed our last meal of the 3 week trip.

I would only stay there again if there were no other options.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

On our way to Tuscany we wanted to get a nice rest in Venice, being clean and not too expensive. We chose the Al Canal Regio based on various reviews. The location is pretty poor though we had an old, mysterious Palazzo as a view out of our window. The breakfast is ok, the rooms are though not very clean and pretty simple for the price we paid. The staff is friendly but not overwhelming to help or to be there with advices for the city. I would not stay again there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

The team working here tries hard, but its a poor location and is not inviting. Probably get what you pay for.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
polska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Good location and easy access to most places. Billa shop is just round the corner - 3 minutes walking, were you can do a lot cheaper shopping than in other local/tourists shops.
The hotel itself is cosy and clean. The rooms were quite small but who would like to spend the time in the hotel room if there is so much to explore in the city?!
Good service at reception, thank you Marco for being helpful!
Breakfast may be a bit disappointing, but once again - Billa is just there if you need something extra or not planning to pay and have a breakfast in the hotel.
Overall - happy with the chosen accommodation. I would recommend it to my friends.

Maly ale czysty hotelik.Bardzo dobra lokalizacja i latwy dostep do wiekszosci atrakcji. Dosłownie za rogiem znajduje sie sklep Billa, w ktorym polecamy robic zakupy. Servis w recepcji rowniez bez zarzutow; pokoje dosc male ale wystarczajace jak dla tych ktorzy zamierzaja zwiedzac to piekne miasto, a nie przesiadywac w hotelu. Z opcji sniadania proponuje zrezygnowac, lub dokupywac sobie lepsza wedline, wieksze niz te ich 6cm buleczki i warzywa.
Podsumowujac - bylismy zadowoleni z wybranego hotelu i polecilibysmy go znajomym.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I highly recommend the Al Canal Regio Hotel. I am really surprised to read comments from other travellers who have something negative to say. I stayed at Easter 2011 and just arranged for my parents to stay there at Easter 2012. The staff recognised the connection and upgraded my parents to a room with a view. Their experience was just as brilliant as ours: very friendly staff (Marco & Michele), clean, modern & comfortable rooms, excellent location and overall superb value for money. I will always return to this hotel & recommend it to my friends and colleagues. Grazie mille to the staff at Al Canal Regio! :-)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Al Canal Regio? Share your experiences!