“DO NOT GO THERE!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Al Brindisi

Al Brindisi
Centro Storico calle Vergola No. 307, 30121 Venice, Italy (Cannaregio)
+39 041716968
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,073 of 1,197 Restaurants in Venice
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Cannaregio
“DO NOT GO THERE!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

This is a tourist trap!! They draw you in with "welcome" drinks that they imply are free, but they actually charge you for. The food is disgusting (all 3 dishes of pasta we ordered were too salty) and they gave us store-bought stale bread rolls without asking, which they later made us pay for. The fish my dad ordered was an outrageous ?30, and the total bill came to ?89. They added cover charge to it even though the man at the front said they wouldn't, but they took it back when my dad confronted them about it. That dropped the price by a whopping ?9. Basically: DONT EAT HERE!! It takes too long for poor-quality food that costs a fortune!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney
“Beware: you will be ripped off as a tourist.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We have dined at various 'tourist' restaurants in Venice, Italy for the past 4 days while on holiday. We have eaten lunch and dinner at these restaurants.

The restaurant i am reviewing now is Italian, the usual pasta, pizza, seafood. The food was lovely, the service overall was good. What is prompting me to write this review including photos is how as a tourist, we felt taken advantage of. Now every restaurant we have dined at advised upfront of a cover charge, usually €2 per person.. Fine. I check this out before I sit down to dine, not to be difficult, just because I don't appreciate surprises. When I took the bill to the cashier to pay (who was a young Italian man with a shaved head with attitude who would not say hello), I asked why there was a €2 per person cover charge PLUS 12.5% in service. He said this is usual, then grunted to another employee. I said I have dined at similar restaurants all week and have no come across this. He said I had to pay it, I did, left and advised other perspective diners walking in of this surprise.

The next night when dining else where I asked the polite man at the door if what I experienced was normal, he asked to see the receipt that I had in my wallet. I showed him, he showed that restaurants owner who advised me to be careful of that restaurant, they are know all around for taking advantage of tourists. He said they do not nor do any reputable restaurants and cafes act in this way.

Again, the food and service was fine... But I did and do not appreciate the way the bill was presented nor the man who I dealt with when settling the bill.

Avoid this restaurant!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hong Kong, China
“Stay away and don't get scammed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

This is my first time getting scammed despite I'm a experienced traveller. We ordered a seafood pasta plate as they recommended, and foolishly I didn't look at the price. The dish were poorly cook, and show taste microwaved. We didn't finish the dish and asked for the bill. Don't be suprise when you see your bill over 100eruo. Two beer plus one plasta was €105euro for us, and this was because the pasta we ordered we cost by weight, not per plate. So be sure you look at the menu and the listed price is not by 100 gram.

Paris, France
“Perfect candidate for the show 'restaurant impossible'”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

This was both the most expensive and worst place we ate in 3 weeks in Europe. Rude, dirty, and gross. The only positive thing I can say is the location is convenient and lovely in a beautiful square. I'm not convinced the food is even safe. The group next to us was black and the waitstaff was openly hostile to them for no other reason I could tell, certainly not because of anything the diners did. The tip is included in the bill, if it were not they would never receive one. The worst meal I've had in my life, and I was in the Army.

Venice, Italy
“SMELLY DINING ROOM AND AWFUL FOOD”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The worst restaurant you can find in Venice! The inner dining room, which is next to the kitchen, where they made us seat telling that it was quieter, smelled of rubbish. We ordered fish and potatoes cooked in the oven, but they brought us fried greasy potatoes and the fish (which was supposed to be a tuna fish slice) smelled awfully and it was dry, like if it had been kept there for ages. The waiter (or the manager, as he said he was), a tall and fattish Egyptian man, pretended to be friendly, but it was a clear way to cheat us and make us order more food. He also treated other customers badly, shouting at them. PEOPLE LIKE THESE SHOULDN'T COOK FOOD AND MANAGE A RESTAURANT! We'll never go back! It's a shame for such a lovely town as Venice! As far as I've read, we're not the only people who found this place horrible! That's what they deserve!

• Visited June 2012