“Complacent, shabby, just want your money” 1 of 5 stars

Antico Panada
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   San Marco, 646, 30124 Venice, Italy   |
Ranked #287 of 383 Hotels in Venice
Bath, United Kingdom
“Complacent, shabby, just want your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

This hotel is our second in Venice, the first being the Ai Reali. There is no comparison with the Ai Reali, which was courteous and helpful throughout. Venetian hotels do not need to be like the Antico Panada,but there is a certain arrogance about some venues here that is borne of simple overcrowding of the city, allowing shoddy hoteliers to get away with it.

We arrived to heaps of luggage in the 'foyer' (after having carried our luggage the 100 metres or so from the nearest water taxi stop - anyone with disabilities or lots of non-wheelable luggage beware) to be told flatly that rooms would not be ready until 1400hrs (fair enough and in accordance with the booking, but a bit matter of fact and abrupt) and to just leave our luggage on the pile (not fair enough in my opinion). We left for a quick lunch until we could check in, not before noting the several disgruntled customers in the bar area (a bar which was never open the entire time we were there) trying to sort, apparently in vain, whatever they were struggling with. I could only guess that the heaps of outgoing luggage alongside the heap of incoming luggage was something to do with it, but there could have been some entirely different set of reasons.

On return, we were shown to our rooms by a helpful porter who seemed to be the only staff member on duty the whole time we were here. Several desk staff came and went, all with rock solid alibis as to why they could not possibly help you with any issue.

One such issue, the safe was locked in our room. Phone call to desk. I'm too busy, you will need to wait. How long? At least half an hour. We wish to go out. I'm too busy. Not my problem, the safe should be open when we arrive! I'm too busy. I found the one working porter and he went along several of the rooms unlocking the safes, which, surprise surprise, is a recurring problem. Maybe the house staff should unlock them all when they clean the rooms, which, of course, we could not get into until the allotted time, remember? And which everyone must vacate at the allotted time, hence the piles of unattended luggage....

Next question. Do you have an iron? Irons are not allowed. Quote, "they would blow up the electricity in the hotel". Nice. Sleeping soundly after that one.

Next question, what is the wifi password? Wifi does not work in the rooms. What? Only guaranteed to work in the lobby. Are you serious? Yes. What is the password? Oh, sorry, I have run out of the paper. Ok, but just tell me it and I will log in. I do not know it. You call me later. I don't want to call you later, can you find out what it is please? I will call you later. No response after that.

Last one for this review, 'can I checkout tonight as we're leaving early in the morning?' Yes, but I cannot give you a receipt. What? It is against Italian law. Ok...... Fine. Can you email me the receipt after we leave. No. Why not? It is against the law. Excuse me?

Please believe me when I say that every fibre of being of the desk staff in this hotel feels like they are trying to prevent life being easy or pleasant for you. It is almost like the desk staff want to see how little they can do before the hotel loses it's clientele entirely, because they know that people will keep coming no matter what. Hotels in Venice do not need to be like this and our experience is that others are not. Avoid.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Having arrived, we had been treated to an "upgrade" whilst the room was clearly larger, it was away from the actual hotel and next to a massive construction site (staff seemed completely baffled when we wanted our room changed)...next room in the hotel was clearly not cleaned properly with left over stains on the door and very very outdated. The breakfast I have to say though was the most horrific experience for me - starting from horrendous smell in the breakfast area to the worst coffee I have EVER tasted (and note we are in Italy the country of coffee!!!)...if you venture around the area a bit away from San Marco you will find lots of nice places that will offer a very good espresso for €1 - go there!!! The location of course is superb and that's in a nutshell what you pay for. Don't expect much else.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

When we arrived the hotel looked beautiful so we were relieved. However, the staff was not very nice and then told us we would be staying in another building. The building is about a block away and has a very ugly front (if that is even possible in venice, they made it)! The person who walked is to our room never even smiled at us and then waited for a tip. The room was not at all what it looked like online. The bathroom was old and dirty, there was plaster in the walls, stains on the bench and very dated. I wouldn't have booked it if it looked like that. Also, I think they purposely put all the Americans in the other building because we saw the European tourists go upstairs in the main hotel and several Americans in our building. Lastly, the next day we asked for a map from our hotel (main building). He must have not remembered checking us in because he slammed the map on the counter. Take our advice, don't stay here!

• Stayed June 2014
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

So I rolled the dice on this hotel because the original hotel where were we staying didn't have accommodations for triples or quads. I am so glad my gamble paid off!! The staff were extremely personable and helpful. Rooms were clean and bathroom pleasantly larger than the typical Venetian cracker box. The lift large enough to accommodate two plus luggage and breakfast was typical continental but good.
I can't say enough about the location of this hotel. It is so convenient! Make sure that if you take a water taxi they know where to let you off so you don't have to schlepp your bags from the Piazza San Marco! They can let you off (with a little talented navigation) at the bridge right by the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose your local with care or you may have a room with an "interesting" view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
gdyoung
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Booked this hotel through Hotwire, so didn't know the hotel before we booked and were a bit nervous after reading some of the reviews. However we were happy with our stay. On the plus side, there is no better location to visit venice than this! We stayed in the separate building, which was only 30s (if that) around the corner to the hotel for breakfast (wasn't a problem for us). The room was clean and had a view of saint marks basilica's roof. The decor wasn't bad, like some others have indicated, in fact was pleasant enough. We also found the staff to be friendly and helpful, for the most part. On the negative side, breakfast wasn't great quality and it was manic in the breakfast room. You do hear the bells from the square, but there are wooden blinds and double glazed windows, so it wasn't very loud and didn't bother us. If you want to stay central, you must expect that! In addition the shower refused to turn off a few times and the temperature control had a mind of its own, which was annoying. But, taking into the account that it's very reasonably priced and excellently located, we were happy with our stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Wayne, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed at the Antico Panada (hotel) in Venice, Italy, last month for 2 days. The staff was very nice, knowledgeable, accommodating, spoke English The room was clean, furnished nicely with an excellent bathroom. The location was 2 blocks from San Marco Plaza and surrounded by restaurants. The breakfast much better than the average "continental", the bar/café was closed for renovation but were served coffee/pastries in the afternoon and drinks in the evening in the parlor area. We would definitely stay there again and would recommend to others.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Puchong, Selangor, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Upon arriving at the main lobby of the hotel, we were told that our room is at another building at a different block. We were directed to it and didn't like the entrance to the room.
Upon entering the room, the air was stuffy and the air-condition was not working at all!
The entire room was creepy too!
We had to open the windows of our rooms and having the smell of cooked food lingers into the room. It was noisy too as a restaurant was located just behind.
The breakfast area was 'infested' by mosquitoes. They should do something about it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Antico Panada? Share your experiences!