“I'm getting eaten alive by mosquitoes!” 2 of 5 stars

Antico Panada
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   San Marco, 646, 30124 Venice, Italy   |
Ranked #286 of 383 Hotels in Venice
Astoria, New York
“I'm getting eaten alive by mosquitoes!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

The rooms are really small and dated. The ventilation is terrible. It blows out hot air. We were forced to open the windows, but then the room becomes swarmed with mosquitoes! I',m in here now and I got bitten so many times, including my eyelid and cheek. I look like I got punched out! This is a start of a terrible vacation! The location isn't bad and the staff is really nice, but the room needs work. We can't even open the windows anymore because of all the bugs itching to get in. I'm typing this right now at 2am in the hotel room! We ended up getting up to kill mosquitoes. There are tiny blood stains on the wall from us killing them after they bit us!

Also, the shower stall is quite small. I'm a petite person (5'1), and I kept bumping into the shower nozzle and turning it off while showering.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Turkish first
Nice, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

The hotel is located just beside of St Marks Square, and located in the very small street. It is very convenient and so cute. But the room was not so clean. I could see some dust on the floor and there were some insects in the bath tab....and until 2 am, I could hear the noisy from outside. It was not so expensive compared to another hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

It's a nice hotel with friendly staff and on first appearance very quaint, however if you spend time in it you see its desparate need for some TLC as wallpaper is peeling and obviously patched repeatedly. The view of the bell towers on Piazza San Marco was brilliant.

The double bed was, as in many European hotels, 2 singles pushed together but very comfortable with extra pillows available on request. However we had no heating on in our room yet it was still WAY TOO HOT to sleep comfortably and with Carnivale outside too loud outside to sleep with the window open. We asked if anything could be done to make the hotel a comfortable temperature and the staff readily came up to help but couldn't do anything as we had no heating on in the first place. As we didn't get much sleep in this hotel for those reasons we probably wouldn't stay again unless the problem was sorted via room fans or air conditioning.

The breakfast was very poor-stale bread, stale croissants;very little selection available. Given the money paid for a 2 night stay you would expect better.

Summing up Antico Panada was OK but extortionally priced. I've stayed in a hostel in Venice before (double room) around carnivale which was was much more reasonably priced, had nicer (yet still authentic) decoration and better food.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

The hotel is located about fifty SECONDS from St marks Square....an un-assuming entrance gives way to a very nice interior... The staff where polite and friendly, with helpful information when prompted... The breakfast choice was very nice, with a good selection on offer...I booked a standard single room, and was pleasantly surprised with a quirky bedroom, extra (separate) lounge and a good sized bathroom. Overall.....I good choice.

Room Tip: Located in a quiet side street. No great views I think....but excellent location.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

The hotel is situated directly behind the Saint Marc Cathedral in a narrow and small street. As the rooms are in two buildings therefore the hotel provides us an easier way to go to our room. We can go to our room from another street and we get a key to staircase. In first impression it doesn’t seem very good but it was much better to us.
The room is a small but wonderful room. The walls were decorated by silk “wallpaper”. There are an amazing glass chandelier and some nice painting and brass lamps on the wall. The room has been furnished in Rococo style. The room is well-equipped and the bathroom is very nice (hair dryer, mini bar, safe box, some vanity articles, bath with Jacuzzi). If you want to have a shower you will be able to use it, because there is a window door by the bath. The breakfast is served near the reception. Unfortunately the choice is not wide, but the food is eatable but it isn’t the best. Naturally near the hotel there are some good restaurants where you can have breakfast on available price. The Staff is kind and helpful. Wireless is in the hotel and the restaurant. You can ask the wifi-code from receptionist. In the room the wireless doesn’t work well at every time.
If you wish a luxury hotel you had better choose another oneJ but in my opinion if you see the rate of price and value, this hotel will be a good choice. I recommend for everybody because it hotel has nice rooms with reasonable price

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

The pluses: very clean (see exception below); really central & convenient; wonderful mattress; very good chambermaid service; decent (if not great) breakfast; warm room; small but good bathroom; decent quality towels; free use of safe - much appreciated.

The minuses: we paid for an upgrade but would rate the room as regular, not superior; VERY hard pillows! (but we slept well anyway); dusty artificial flowers & plants in lobby and breakfast room (though hotel v.clean apart from this) - Italians usually have excellent taste and this struck us as odd and very unattractive; another matter of taste - the room was furnished with unmatching items of many colours & a most unaesthetic formica wardrobe which jarred horribly with the decor - Antico Panada owner: please replace that! The room overlooked indoor small courtyard - absolutely no view, but of course a room with a view in Venice is very expensive so we understood this; smell of drains in lobby (not in the room, which was fine) but we felt this was temporary due to some work being done. However, no apology or explanation offered for the smell! Shortage of receptionists when needed at front desk and there was often a queue to be attended to.

This sounds as if there were far more minuses than pluses but I believe they came out equal. I wouldn't go back to the Antico Panada because of the dodgy taste exhibited in various ways (the formica wardrobe together with what purported to be mostly period furniture nearly gave me a coronary), but we did sleep very well and the location is brilliant.

Room Tip: If loud bells bother you, this might not be the place - they ring regularly from St. Mark's Squa...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I am writing this review only as comment on the service of the hotel . Did not manage to visit Venice and the specifc hotel as i was planning too and i am not really sure how the service is from inside, i hope is good ! However needed to express my only complaint . I emailed the hotel prior my arrival for information regarding transportation services and they never answer back. Had to get the information through the agent that i used to book the room. I know that details are being published on the hotel's site however needed to find out if they were able to organise transfer for me . I think that this was not an option for them so they did not give any advise.
Just a little bit of dissappointment there on the service provided! Maybe next time they do better!

Room Tip: Please try to reach me them directly over phone if you need to have an direct answer back!
Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Been to Antico Panada? Share your experiences!