“Buonissimo! Bravo! Worth hunting this place down!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Osteria ai Carmini

Osteria ai Carmini
Calle delle Pazienze 2894/a, 30100 Venice, Italy (Dorsoduro)
041 2413612
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #155 of 1,193 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Chowder
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: Dorsoduro
San Antonio, Texas
“Buonissimo! Bravo! Worth hunting this place down!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I go to Italy every summer and stay in Venice for the majority of my time. I am increasingly disappointed in the food as the years go by. In order to eat well, I have to spend a ton of money and I am only mildly satisfied. I must say that the last two years I have gone to Osteria al Carmini, in fact, it just gets better! I just had dinner there tonight and I could not wait until I get home (Texas) next week, to write this review. The seafood antipasti was incredible! The cold was cold, the warm was warm and the bacala mantecata was amazing. The sardine saor, was exquisite and the grilled, soft shell baby crab in smooth, warm polenta was indescribable! I never had such a perfect morsel! For a primo, I had chosen a spaghetti al vongole (exquisite clam sauce). After 6 weeks in Italy and most of that time in Venice, I was beginning to think that I would not get to have this very amazing regional dish. Perfect portion served, perfect temperature, perfect clams. Naturally, being from south Texas I needed something FRIED! As a secondo I had a frito misto. A variety of delicately fried shellfish and calamari and delicate vegetables. Again, perfect. All this was enjoyed with a lovely proseco from Valdobbiadene. After my limoncello, I stole a couple of bites of my daughter's tiramisu. I'm gonna say it....OMG! It was delicious. I cannot stress enough the value of FRESH seafood and all the other ingredients. Too many restaurants are opting for frozen foods and the kitchen staff (notice i wont even call them "cooks") are simply warming it up and serving it to tourist as if we all don't know any better. Well, many of us do! Keep up the good work and never give up the good fight! One should ALWAYS eat well in Italy!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“A sweet little find with great food, don't lose this tradition!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

If you find this little family restaurant you won't be disappointed. We were disappointed with other cafes etc in more popular areas. Tucked away, this unassuming little old fashioned family restaurant is recommended. :)

• Visited July 2013
Seattle, Washington
“My best experience in all of Europe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I was going to wait to leave this review, and others, until I get back home. However, I am hoping that someone else might see it to get to experience food and service superior to any place I have been in Europe thus far. Basics- good sized menu, tough local place to find, inexpensive drinks, superior service. If you're new to Venice you will quickly find that wait staff is very similar to New Yorkers. Direct, un personable, and to the point. Some might even identify their mannerisms as rude. As soon as you find your way around town to this destination you feel a sense of something more peaceful, and inviting. When I arrived there were locals in the restaurant, a good first sign. The drinks were priced for a good time, with 1 liter jugs of wine starting at only 9 euro. 1st plate options were all delicious. I went with a group of 6, and we each ordered a separate dish, and we were all very pleased. 2nd dishes were just as good. Easily the best and most authentic Italian cuisine we had seen in Verona and Venice. The seafood was all very fresh and carefully prepared. The pasta was obviously home made and cooked just right. The chef/owner is a younger man that claims to have been cooking his entire life, and
his dedication was evident. He even came out front to say hello to us before our order was taken by the waiter. After dinner the owner and waiter shared in a glass of wine with us, and we talked about how great our food was. We left feeling like our trip to Venice was complete, and the 30-40 minute trek from the other side of Venice was well worth it. If you are going to Venice you cannot afford for this restaurant to be absent from your list. And please remember, if you experience superior service, tip your waiter extra. It's always a good idea to compliment someone who enjoys their craft in the service industry here.

• Visited June 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Fantastic Risotto al nero di seppie!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My wife and I were wandering through the narrow calles of Venice when we crossed by this gem in the afternoon. I spied the Risotto al Nero di Seppie on the menu and had to go in. We were treated to an absolutely perfect late lunch! This place is the real deal. Amazing meal!

• Visited May 2013
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Delicous dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I enjoyed a fabulous dinner at Osteria al Carmini in Dorsoduro with my team of dragon boaters from Dubai. We had a selection of antipasti followed by my main course of tuna with tomatoes, capers and olives - totally delectable. Everyone loved their meals and the restaurant put up with our rather noisy table of 20. I would certainly go back and enjoy a somewhat more relaxing meal!

• Visited May 2013