“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Antiche Carampane

Antiche Carampane
San Polo 1911 | Rio Tera delle Carampane, Rialto, 30125 Venice, Italy (San Polo)
041 5240165
Neighborhood: San Polo
Catskill, New York
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I were recently in Venice for three weeks. We ate dinner at Antiche Carampane soon after our arrival, and were so taken by the quality of the food and cooking, the friendly service, and general ambience that we booked again for the next week when a friend would be visiting. And after that wonderful meal, we booked for a third time for the following week with two other friends. So, in total, we and our friends enjoyed 9 meals, including a couple of repeat orders, and I know I speak for all of us in saying that we would return to this restaurant in a heartbeat.

Although there were a handful of other tourists among our fellow diners, this is not what you would call a tourist restaurant. It's quite off the beaten track, for one thing, and the menu does not hew to the usual tourist canon of various set price menus featuring the usual dishes. Rather, this is a Venetian restaurant, serving Venetian fish and seafood specialties, including whatever is freshest at the market, and it makes for a wonderful experience. The dishes are clean and light and straightforward. When the ingredients are this impeccably fresh and impeccably well prepared and served, no fuss is needed. We loved the minuscule fried shrimps served in a paper cone as an amuse bouche, the mixed fried seafood in a light batter, the mixed raw seafood appetizer, the grilled fish. . . . well, there's really no point in listing it all, because everything we tried was superlative. Nevertheless, as a devoted fan of salt cod, I feel that I should put in a little plug for the wonderful airy billow of baccala mantecato (creamy whipped salt cod) that appeared on the mixed seafood appetizer plate. The version here has to be just about the best ever.

Service is informal, friendly, and efficient.

Now, about finding this place. We rehearsed the path from our apartment in Dorsoduro several times, using Google maps and turn-by-turn directions, and nevertheless had to resort to asking directions from folks we encountered, on multiple occasions, on each attempt. On the basis of these experiments, here is what we can report: 1) Google maps and directions indicate the presence of a non-existent bridge that we wasted all sorts of time trying to locate; 2) the name indicated on Google for a particular street or bridge does not necessarily correspond to the actual stenciled name; and 3) therefore, when you get lost on your way to this restaurant, there is absolutely no point whatsoever in asking directions to a particular street. Instead, just ask for this restaurant by name. Everyone knows it.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Mexico City, Mexico
“Truely one of my best meals ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I was in Venice with a reunion of girlfriends and we rented a house in Giadecca. I called a friend who does cooking schools around the world and she recommended Antiche Carampane. We knew that we had a good recommendation. It took a little effort (but not bad) to find the restaurant. We were treated like royalty even though they didn't know that we knew someone who knew them. The food was divine. We'd ordered the Antipasto Seafood and Razor Clams to share; when they came, it was so good that we ordered a duplicate round. Everyone's food was the very best but I think my fried mixed seafood was the best ever. I'd been in Venice five days without Calamari Fritta so I decided it was time; my extremely fresh, sweet, mixed seafood came in the lightest of Tempura-like batter. Nothing heavy, nothing extreme, just wonderful. Dessert lived up to all expectations too. And the wine selection was great, expensive, as everything in Euros these days, but as reasonable as could be for excellent wine choices. We all agreed that it was one of the best meals ever for each of us.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nyon, Switzerland
“A remarkable little restaurant for a trip over real Venetian gastronomy.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Many other people praised rightly the high level of food in this cosy little restaurant. A few complained about prices, but one should not be surprised, because they are clearly showed on the menu and then the refined quality of all ingredients has necessary a price.
A few others, oddly, complained about the service, claiming the owner was rude to them. So I'd like starting my review stressing the absolute kindness and professionalism of the staff. They were all extremely kind, without being pompously mannered, they had time for all clients; even though they were very busy (the restaurant was always full).
We have had lunch at this restaurant three days in a row, booking our table for the following day during all our short stay and if we had spent another day in Venice, we would have come for the fourth time. Luckily we visit Venice quite often, so we'll have other opportunities to enjoy the atmosphere and the food of " le Antiche Carampane".
I took twice a fish Carpaccio as entry, because it was one of the best I have eaten in my life, but all what we have tasted was at very high level and based on absolutely fresh ingredients.
Franco the owner was so kind to satisfy our wish to eat " moeche" ( soft crabs) that he could find a small quantity of them at Rialto fish market and cooked them especially for us the following day.
Of course if you are not a fish eater, you have a slightly more reduced choice of dishes in the menu, but if you like fresh fish and seafood you will deeply appreciate what they offer here.
Desserts are delicious as well, clearly all home-made and nicely presented.
I was amazed and even a little amused by reading the few negative reviews…people who complain because the restaurant is in a quiet corner of the town, instead of a very touristic place; people who complain because they couldn't add Ketchup on their delicate fried mixed fish; people who wanted to kill a refined fish sauce on a dish of pasta adding crated cheese on it, someone who refused to understand that in Italy lunch is usually served between 12.30 and 2 pm and people don't eat at every hour of the day like in a fast food restaurant and so on…Very few people who have not understood anything of real Venetian gastronomy and would have been happier in a big restaurant near San Marco square with tourist menu.
But the world is interesting because it's various. There are suitable places for every taste.
If you like excellent cooking, pleasant atmosphere, kind service and you consider that quality must be paid at the right place, then this is the restaurant in Venice which will not disappoint you.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Venice, Italy
“Please read this before considering going to this restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

For anyone who even remotely relies on Tripadvisor for a recommendation or confirmation of the quality and service of an establishment, I implore you to read this. If you're lucky enough to find the restaurant Antiche Carapagne buried in the heart of Venice's Rialto district, your luck just ran out! I say this without ever having eaten a single morsel in this restaurant, and I can justifiably say I never will. If however, you're anything like me when reading Tripadvisor reviews, you might want to know the degree of reliability of this contributor. With as much humility as this comment will allow, I've been extremely fortunate to have travelled extensively, and, in addition to having planned many vacations around the restaurants of a particular area, I've also been a long-time member and past society chair of a US chapter of the International Wine and Food Society. As such, to the degree this holds any weight whatsoever (and I can appreciate that it may not) I would passionately steer you away from this restaurant. I can forgive may things in a restaurant: a course that is not well prepared, or even an entire meal; a waiter that doesn't live up to hope or expectation; a lack of ambience......however, I will not put up with or ever forgive the owner of an establishment from being aggressively rude prior even eating in the establishment. To be fair (and here I'm stretching) we were exactly 15 minutes late to a 2pm reservation. As we walked in we advised a nice older lady we had a reservation booked by the concierge of our hotel and apologized for being a few minutes late. Without any consideration, the owner looked at us and at the clock, and with aggression (and I mean serious "get out of my restaurant aggression") told us we're too late and the kitchen was closed!! The older lady who, first greeted us made reference to the owner that we had a reservation, and looked at us somewhat apologetically for the owner's behavior. However, he resolutely refused us entry. When I said (admittedly sardonically) it was no problem, there is always Tripadvisor he literally freaked out and chased us out of the restaurant, screaming at us to write whatever we wanted to on Tripadvisor, and swearing profanities as we walked away from the restaurant. And so I do. Interestingly, the concierge of our hotel indicated he made several attempts prior to us arriving in Venice, to secure a reservation for us at this restaurant. None of his calls were ever returned, and he was somewhat skeptical of the how we would enjoy the service when he finally did manage to make us a lunch reservation. (For which, incidentally, he was never told we needed to be there by exactly 2pm or we would not be served.) What makes this really unfortunate is the restaurant is part of a wonderful association called Associazione dei Ristoranti Della Buona Accogglienza. They are a group of 14 Venetian restaurants that are banded together under the banner of "where the culture of good cooking is combined with a friendly welcoming atmosphere." We have enjoyed a number of meals at a number of these establishments, and I've posted a review on Tripadvisor of my consideration of the very best of them (La Caravella). It's a shame that the goodwill established by the association, and in particular their overriding philosophy, is so severely tarnished by this blemish of a place. I've naturally no idea of the political affiliation of the owner of this restaurant, but I could not help, as I walked away from this place, with the owner screaming profanities about me and Tripadvisor conjuring up visions of an Italy that most would like to forget.

• Visited October 2013
rensid, Proprietario at Antiche Carampane, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Daer Client, sorry to say that you miss to write:

1) that you arrived at 2.30 PM when kitchen was already closed and chefs already gone. May be you had an arrogant behaviors , claiming a lunch without any respect for the people that work and without call for advise about your delay (like all the people usually do)
2) that you have intimidates us to write on trip advisor without trying to have a regular exchange of opinions
3) we usually work with all the best hotel in Venice with a big pleasure and without any problem, I don't know on which hotel you were but let me say that they are at least non professional.
4) The Restaurant that you have mentioned is not any more part of our Association since 3 years. maybe next time it is better to inquire more closely

It 's very sad to see that people are hiding himself behind an anonymous review , rather than having a direct and frank talk with the people. I wish you halcyon days
NYC
“Worth Every Twist To Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Getting there was part of the adventure. We came across a lovely group playing chamber music in a square not far away. We paused for a few minutes to enjoy then continued the twisting path to get there. To say it is small and tucked away is an understatement. But, they were welcoming and immediately seated us. I had e-mailed for a reservation well in advance and called Italy with a credit card to guarantee. All of that was well worth it. I rated it as one of the best meals because the food was great. The other part that can't be overlooked if you are a traveler who likes to explore is the experience of plunging into Venice to find it. The service was good, unhurried but attentive. The house wine didn't disappoint.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere