“Riviera dinner” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riviera

Riviera
Dorsoduro 1473 | Zattere - San Basilio, 30123 Venice, Italy (Dorsoduro)
+39 041 522 7621
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 1,201 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian, Continental, Pasta, Wine Bar, Chowder
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Neighborhood: Dorsoduro
Description: Sorry, we are closed for annual leave and some general handling works from January 5th until February 12th. Thank you
London, United Kingdom
“Riviera dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We decided to try this place because of its reviews in trip advisor.
We where not disappointed.
It's location overlooking the Guidecca is superb.
Service is attentive and personable.
We both had lobster which was Devine.
I had tiramisu.
We had one bottle of wine which was recommended and it was very good and complimented the lobster well.
The proprietor was present and made himself known to every table.
One gripe, the tables are little close together

Visited September 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Lovely location and lovely place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Sitting on the water in Venice while the sun is setting is a big treat. This restaurant has a great outdoor space and an elegant inside restaurant. The food was good, although we asked for more salt & pepper. Winelist is ok, Service was kind, the bill fairly high but within Venecian standards. (€ 190,- for 2). We will be back due to this lovely location!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
GPCremonini, Proprietario at Riviera, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Hello Sir, and thank you for your kind review!

I understand that coming from one of the less expansive Country in world, may be the cheapest one, you can think that our bill was expensive, but I wish make only a little precision to explain why Ristorante Riviera is may be pricey, but surely not expansive:

As I wrote before on those pages, may be in a different language, it's that every year in Venice arrived between 22millions and 30millions of Visitors, in a town with less than 60.000 resident.

This big amount of Visitor created an horrible speculation, and everything here it's really expansive, especially for the People living in Venice all year long, like me and all my Collaborators.

There's also the particularity that all the items arriving in Venice have at minimum a double transport fee, first on wheels or by plane, then by boat.
And when you decide to purpose only real products, outside from the mass distribution...you pay the transport fees, but all alone.

Those only few reasons why we can be seen as pricey ones, and I hope that now you can agree that it's not for a personal speculation, but rather the opposite.

I can give you a simple example: a really great Chef, 2 Michelin stars if I'm not mistaken, whom had a fantastic Restaurant in Venice, decided to leave the Town and to open a new one on the country side, at 100km from here: actually in that new location he do the same kind of great kitchen, but 30% less expansive.

(...of course the view it's not the same).

Thank you for your attention, and have a nice day!

GP Cremonini
Dublin, Ireland
“A real treat - proper Venetian dining.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I took my wife away to Venice for a romantic weekend to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Venice was a good choice; the restaurant was the best choice. Reviera was a great dining experience. The entire staff were knowledgeable about the menu, gave good recommendations, and were totally engaged in the work of making our meal the best we had in four days. The wine waiter knew what he was talking about and pointed us in the right direction. Near the end of the meal, the front of house introduced himself and we talked a little about importing wines into Ireland, and he gave us a contact in Dublin to follow up on.

Our meal:
Aperativi.
Amuse bouche was a gazpatcho, perfectly balanced flavours, fresh and refreshing.
(She) Saor of scampi and (me) seared squids.
Branzino (Sea Bass) baked in a crust of salt.
coffees with a small desert.
Bottle of Pinot Bianco from the Trentino-Alto Adige.

Everything we had was excellent, and presentation was elegant. The salt baked fish was a revelation and was served with seared seasonal vegetables. The starters were simple and delicately flavoured.

The meal was not cheap; but I think we got what we paid for. Total €190

A final note and it is not about the food but about the excellent manners of the staff. We all started off in English (it's a default setting), but when we switched to Italian as we were seated, that is what was spoken at our table by everyone else from then on. The waiting staff clearly communicate very well between members. This may sound a little petty and of no real importance, but we have gone to a lot of trouble over the years to learn Italian, and it is a nice change not to have English spoken at you by staff, even when we are speaking to them in their language.

This is a highly recommended restaurant and I would happily visit again.

• Visited September 2013
England
“Best service in Venice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Its rare for myself and girlfriend to write reviews on restaurants, in fact I think its our first time, but the Riviera deserves a review.

We stayed on the opposite side of the river at the Hilton Hotel, and to be honest we had not planned to go to this restaurant, we planned to go to one of the Hilton Restaurants that was fully booked, so because of this we decided to go to the Riviera.

We arrived by boat (surprise surprise) and had a table for 8pm in the evening (we went in August 2013). We sat outside at one of the tables on the water front which was very nice and warm weather was great.

I have to say the service was great, not too overwhelming but certainly attentive. They had a fantastic selection of wines and then showed us the daily catch of fish and lobster etc which was reasonably priced. In the end we just went for a menu option and the food was great. Good timing and delivery of starters and mains and we also had the owner hanging around.

During the day you would walk past the restaurant and not give it a second glance. It looks like a run down building with nothing going on, but at night it comes alive and is very busy and everyone was enjoying themselves. In total we spent about 200 euros for the 2 of us which was starter main and dessert and the wine I think was 110 of that anyway because it was my girlfriends birthday.

The owner was very nice and spent time chatting to us but not selling which was nice. At the end he gave us a parting gift being a bottle opener.

Really finished off our trip to Venice. Lovely city, great atmosphere and great restaurant. Definately pay it a visit, I would be surprised if you were disappointed. Even if the food was a load of rubbish (which it totally wasnt at all, quite the opposite) this restaurant wins on service alone.

• Visited August 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“Wonderfull staff, wonderfull setting, WONDERFULL FOOD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Everything about this restaurant was perfect. We booked in advance to have a seat by the canal, and the rest just blew us both away. Very Knowledgeable staff who knew their wine list very well and knew their food even better. We let the main waiter pick our food and wine and everything we got well exceeded our expectations. The food, drink, the view and the ambiance of the restaurant made this a special night for my wife and I. Thank you again to all the staff for making my wife's 40th birthday dinner so special. It is well worth the walk from San Marco Square.

P.s If you can, please reply with the name of the wine we drank that night. It had a blue label and was 1998 vintage I think

• Visited August 2013