“Fish experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riviera

Riviera
Dorsoduro 1473, 30123 Venice, Italy (Dorsoduro / Accademia)
+39 041 522 7621
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 1,211 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian, Chowder, International, Pasta, Wine Bar, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Dorsoduro / Accademia
Description: NOT FOR FAST FOODERS!! Booking highly suggested.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fish experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were in Venice for 2 days for my girlfriend's 30th birthday. Looking for a restaurant to take her out, I am very happy I choose Riviera. Situated in a quiet promenade of Venice, overlooking the canal. If the weather allows, dinning outside is must! We had dinner indoors, and it was also very cosy! Nice, simple and classy decor. Good distance in-between tables, gives you some privacy.
The menu is fish dominated. And they make it good! Yes its expensive, but I can see why! You don’t pay for Venice. You actually pay for the combination of good quality ingredients, cooked 'la perfection', and professional service!
As there are no prices at the on line menu of the restaurant I bet most people would wonder how expensive actually is. Well, you can eat from 120€ for a three course meal and a glass of wine for two people. If you want to try the specials (i.e. whole fish baked in salt), maybe you need about 200€ for two. I can’t help mentioning the desserts are to die for. We had Tiramisu and crème brule(the best I ever had, and I consider myself a fun of both).
The other big plus was that the owner comes round and makes sure you are happy. He also replied to my emails, and he put an effort to satisfy my request about my girlfriend's birthday.
Overall, if you are not on a budget, go there and have fish. You will love it

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Boston
“How could fish be so good?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

A member of Save Venice had recommended this restaurant - what a recommendation! I had reserved via email before leaving the US and that worked well. The owner was our waiter - the only waiter - and he had a wonderful spiel as he showed us the fish available that evening. He recommended having it bake in salt, a great recommendation. Wonderful fish! We also followed his recommendation on the wine and had a fine meal.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
UK
“Specials are expensive but worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was our third dinner out on our trip and whilst the bill was rather a lot, the food was definitely worth it.

It started with a rather odd experience, as I was given a "menu for ladies" which didn't have any prices on it, for me that was the first time I'd ever been given a metaphorical pat on the head and told not to worry my pretty little head about such things as money... Luckily I saw the humour in it and just got on with choosing my meal but the out-of-date attitude was a bit breathtaking!

The manager of the restaurant was very friendly and helpful, and suggested a very good wine to have with the meal, and when the other reviewers mentioned that this restaurant is good for food they really weren't kidding. This was the best fish on our trip.

We had a primo course which was 8 different types of sashimi with various different dressings and accompaniments. I think my favourite one involved fresh mint. Then we had a whole salt-roasted Turbot as the Secondi and that was wonderful too. There were some innovative desserts, including a movie one that had a cola-flavoured mousse.

Overall, if you want amazing fish, a bit of quirky flamboyance from the staff, and you're not on a budget, this is the restaurant for you.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kangaroo Island, Australia
“Modern Italian cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Delicious and innovative takes on classic Venetian dishes with an emphasis on seafood matched with a good wine list and excellent service from our helpful and knowledgeable
English-speaking waiter/sommelier, who just happened to have visited Kangaroo Island, Australia, and loved it!

Visited May 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“Worth the trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We dined at the restaurant on the 25th May 2013 for dinner and had an enjoyable evening. The staff were very knowledgable and polite and the food excellent. We were recommended a bottle of Cabinet Franc from the local region and was not disappointed ! The sweets were to die for. ( we had the Dolcie mignon if your interested.) The main menu is predominately seafood and is very well presented both prior to ordering and when served. Even when we left the restaurant the owner walked us to the ferry terminal in the rain with his umbrella so we did not get wet.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere